Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #85

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
Funny, but many years ago I made a similar type list, only longer, of why you should never get married.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 01:25 AM   #86

Fleetwood Owners Club
New to RV ownership...and found out the hard way WHILE DRIVING IT HOME 1200 miles that [moderator edit] can and does go wrong.

But the most frustrating? The fact that there is ZERO customer service. Fleetwood built it. I call Fleetwood and ask about the radiator fan. Provide VIN. They tell me to call Freightliner.

I call Freightliner. Provide VIN. Ask about radiator fan (hub assembly). They tell me to call Caterpillar.

At that point I say hold up - first, this particular facility is also a CAT dealer. Soooo...can't you access the parts list? The response: "That's not my department."

whaaaa??....

So I call the SAME number again, ask for CAT parts...get a guy on the phone. After pleading with them to just access an exploded parts drawing and read off the BOM to me, I finally have part numbers (but still no idea if they have the parts on hand or what the prices will be).

Let's think for a moment; when you have a problem with your car, which is made from parts that were sourced by many different manufacturers, you call the service center for that particular make of vehicle and say "hey I have a problem" and they say "bring it in we'll look at it." With MH? Nothing but pointing fingers and redirecting. The customer has to do ALL the legwork.

[moderator edit]

Old 10-13-2015, 01:32 AM   #87

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
[moderator edit]
Well, believe what you want, but you'll have to live with it! Unless of course you sell it for a big loss!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:46 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post

Let's think for a moment; when you have a problem with your car, which is made from parts that were sourced by many different manufacturers, you call the service center for that particular make of vehicle and say "hey I have a problem" and they say "bring it in we'll look at it." With MH? Nothing but pointing fingers and redirecting. The customer has to do ALL the legwork.

[moderator edit]
Sounds like you have landed at a poor service center, if they are asking you to source parts. Unfortunately cooling fans are a gray area as to what is provided by the engine manufacturer or the chassis manufacture. But a good workshop knows that. You have discovered that RV's are not like today's modern cars but more like boats and airplanes, and an owner needs to understand more about the individual components. The RV manufacturer is more of an integrator of components. Unlike car dealers most RV dealers are not prepared to deal with chassis or running gear issues. BTW, if you are on a Freightliner chassis, the best service I have found is the Freightliner factory service center in Gaffney, SC.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #89

Fleetwood Owners Club
The bigger the item, the less actual customer service you will receive.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #90

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to argue the other side..

Same warning should be on the door of your new Sticks and Bricks as well
Old 10-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #91

American Coach Owners Club
Bla Bla Bla ! Park It or Sell It !
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:35 PM   #92

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Sad to say, another uninformed consumer who thinks these toys are just large cars.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:09 AM   #93

People want the biggest and the best, gotta have a dp to impress the neighbors and hang with the big boys, and just like all diesel owners, MH or Truck, whine like little girls when things go wrong. Not saying that gas ones don't have problems, but they have fewer systems that are easier and less expensive to repair and maintain.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:30 AM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
People want the biggest and the best, gotta have a dp to impress the neighbors and hang with the big boys, and just like all diesel owners, MH or Truck, whine like little girls when things go wrong. Not saying that gas ones don't have problems, but they have fewer systems that are easier and less expensive to repair and maintain.
I bought diesel because my H1 is diesel and while it has had a couple of issues, it is wonderful and I wanted an engine that could get [moderator edit] done and not crap out.

I bought an RV that would allow me to putter around the US for the better part of the next year until I figure out where I want to buy a house next, without blowing all my money on hotels and airfare and such. And then use it for more fun afterwards. It needed to be good-sized and have a good amount of storage, and this one is.

The thing that is wrong is the approach taken by ANY company that they can build (assemble) something, take your money, and ignore you or pass you off to someone else when problems arise. The finger pointing is ridiculous. Why do people put up with that in an RV environment but not in other businesses? Seems to be a great way to LOSE business.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:39 AM   #95

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
That's OK, you can still park next to us, we are friendly you know!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's OK, you can still park next to us, we are friendly you know!
I guess if anyone can go through what you have and still smile then you must be some awfully friendly folks The problems you've had would turn me off to rving forever...
Old 10-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #97

Rving. is a hobby. Hobbies cost money
Old 10-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #98

Gear Girl - Cars are one of the areas where they have really stepped up customer service in the last 25 years. Every car dealer I have used in the last ten years had very good customer service no matter if it was Acura, Jeep, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or Honda.

Not all are like that in the RV industry. The previous poster that said RVs are like boats is my experience too. However, I have had some very good experience in the RV industry with both the factory that made our coach and many RV repair shops. Most have tried very hard to help me. Some have dropped what they were doing and jumped on my problem right away when I was broken down. (The CAT dealer in Bakersfield CA the CAT dealer in Klamath Falls OR is another.)

So sorry you have had a bad experience with Fleetwood, Freightliner, and CAT, but that has not been my experience with our Country Coach.

To put up a general post about all companies in an industry just because you have had some issues is inaccurate /partial information.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome