Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #15

You do not have a warranty you have a service contract with the word warranty in the title. They are very restrictive and do limit every thing including labor hours. If you left clear instructions as you state IHMO you do not owe them anything.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #16

You are right. We should have called the warranty company too. The first time we trusted the dealer. Not smart. We didn't call the second time because the dealer had us convinced that we could mess up our claim if we did. Still too trusting, or maybe too much Minnesota nice.
No, I'm not exaggerating, nor am I trying to make anything more sensational than it is. I'd just like to figure out the best way to settle it is all.
I now have the information, thanks to you kind folks here, to contact MotorHome magazine and see if they can help us. The documentation is clear. If anyone thinks they can help us, I'd be glad to send them copies.
The hard part is convincing the dealer that we don't owe them anything, they don't seem to be listening.

Paula

Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Paula,
I am in the business and deal with the warranty companies often. Many of them will not "initially" talk with the holder of the policy because they want a tech to start a claim. Absolutly ridiculous in my eyes but that is how they work. They want our labor prices, price for service call, and cost of parts to repair. They ask for a estimate of time, and then they tell us what they will pay. If it involves more we have to argues with them and explain why it took longer. Some times they will give an nother 1/2 hr or so, but not much more. They do follow the"Book" of times, which is often un-reasonable. If the time is un-reasonable to us, I would explain to the customer his responsibility, and I have never had a issue.

But to be honest with you 85% of the time, the time they give for a repair is very close, but occasionaly you do come up with issues, and other problems arise.

I do agree with you that the problem I see here is the dealership, not the warranty company.

I would call the insurance company and verify the authorization of the amount, and what they authorized to be fixed. Explain that you got a large bill and you want to question what was actually done. They should not have any problem letting you know the information.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:16 AM   #18

I did call the warranty company yesterday and they explained about "the book" and I did verify the authorization amount. They were as helpful as they could be. I asked about what recourse I might have as they told me that most honorable companies will not charge beyond what the warranty will cover for labor, and he had no suggestions there. We wouldn't be upset if the dealer had called and gotten our OK before he did the work, but to just do the work and assume we would just pay without blinking is ridiculous. We are not unreasonable people and, of course, some things will take longer to complete than what some chart will tell you it will. Communication is the key and even when we called them (since they never called us) we were not informed of any of this.
Thanks for your input. My reviews are now posted on the RV Service site and I'm getting ready to send things off to MotorHome magazine. Here's hoping for the best!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they told me that most honorable companies will not charge beyond what the warranty will cover for labor, and he had no suggestions there. We wouldn't be upset if the dealer had called and gotten our OK before he did the work, but to just do the work and assume we would just pay without blinking is ridiculous </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I had a Winnebago dealer do exactly that on factory warranty repairs -- deliberately charged more than Winnebago authorized, not keeping me informed, and assuming I would meekly pay up. I wrote Winnebago describing what happened with a copy to the dealership. As I recall, Winnebago did cover at least part of the excess charges. The crooked extortionist dealer then "thanked" me for getting them the additional $$, like they weren't holding me responsible in the first place. The dealer also screwed up some other work I had done at the same time. I returned once to get part of the botched work corrected, then never went back to them, and gave them an appropriate review at www.rvservicereviews.com.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #20

Sounds to me like a good argument for not purchasing extended warranties, ie;service contracts
Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Now you know why extended warranties are worth about the same as the paper they are written on.
"On Air" Consumer advocates around here say to save your money!"

I just had my basement air repaired. My extended warranty paid for everything except the overnight freight charge for the parts, and the shop supply charges.

As to legal problems, as long as you state the facts there is no problem. Document each and every relevant conversation with the dealer and the Warranty Co. If you are documenting after the fact, state so at the beginning of the comments. Leave nothing out except invective towards the parties. IOW, Be professional.

Contact your BBB and state atty gen'l fraud division. Ask them what course you might follow.

Pay the bill and write in the comment "PAID UNDER PROTEST".

I don't know the policy of the message board, but I would like to know the dealer and the warranty company.

BTW, I was not the original purchaser but I paid $50 to transfer. They have covered every claim (2-so far). The company is Prizm Administrative Solutions from Wheatridge, CO.

Good Luck

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #22

Check with the state boatrd, her in Fl the agriculteure people hancle business claims, and if authorization is not recieved for the repair you are only liable for $50-100 of the bill, wrth checking out, also I would call the warranty co., they might help out, I work for a dealer and we accept the warranty company labor rates.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
Fight! That's my 2 cts... They took in upon themselves to "work up" your bill, and if you have it in writing that any additional $$$ required your authorization BEFORE doing the work, the bad guys are cooked. Don't give in, please, because right now, in a way, you are fighting for all of us!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #24

Hmmmm...will have to consider writing to Fleetwood, that's something I hadn't considerd and a very good idea. Thank you.
Of the 3400-3500 dollar bill, extended warranty covered 2300. We don't have any issue with them and I would rather not name them. The dealer is Brambilla's in Shakopee, MN. I did post my ratings on the rv service rating site as well. My evaluation brought them down to a "fair" rating, with 7 evaluations.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ray, Paula,
You guys are on the right track. Get them in RVservice reviews, and then get them in the publications as well. Good luck, and let us know how you make out,

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #26

We had a 2 year extended contract when we bought our unit (used, with no factory warranty left). We have used the contract 3 times, which on paper just paid for itself. If I wasn't so picky, and didn't mind taking my unit in for minor things, I would have used it more, but there is the balance of time and usability that plays into our repairs as we do live in our unit full-time. Our warranty company (Assurant) was always reasonable, and always was accepted with minimal hassle, however,I doubt I would buy one again.

Dealer/Repair facilities are a whole 'nother issue, especially for someone who is never in the same area more than 6 months to a year. You depend on word of mouth, and the shop never knows you, and once they smell transient the bill is already padded. Honestly, I have dealt with very few dealers or shops I would consider honest and worthy of my recommendation. The few that I have used, I am very loyal to, and always give my business and make a point to recommend them, the others, I also make a point to steer people away from. This extends to auto mechanics too.

The bottom line is moving forward you really need to do your homework, build a relationship with the shop, and be a big pest. I insist to at least be in almost constant communication with the tech. I also review all work before even talking to the service writer, and ask tons of questions. If I am paying for something, I also want the education to go along with it, so hopefully if I am capable, next time I can deal with the problem myself.

As far as resolution to your current situation, I would certainly fight for what you can. I am not sure you will have a lot of luck, but you might get some satisfaction merely since they did not call you. Most states have laws protecting the consumer regard to this type of repair situation, and most shop invoices I have seen have you sign or initial in a section that authorizes them to complete the work. In my mind there is no question if what you say is true, they are guilty of not only calling for authorization form you, but also guilty of unethical behavior for charging more than quoted rates.

I understand these guys need to make money, but my recent experiences have jaded my views that many of these shops are addicted to getting rich quick, and have become serious predators especially once they smell the opportunity, and no matter what business your in practice like that should not be tolerated by anyone, especially your customers. We have very few voices left, your wallet is your loudest, vote with your money people!

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #27

"in a way, you are fighting for all of us!"

Gosh! No pressure or anything !
Old 08-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
No pressure. It's a compliment, but you don't have to take up the cause.

steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote