Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #1

We had a number of issues we brought to our local dealer to be repaired under our extended warranty. We have the top level of coverage and a $100 deductible. My husband wrote on the form we filled out in big bold letters, TWICE, that we have the warranty and to please estimate the work, check with the warranty and if not covered to please call us before doing the repair. We were never notified of anything, in fact, they never called us, we had to call them.
My husband asked about the warranty and was told it would be taken care of "before we got there". Imagine our dismay when we recieved a bill for $1200!!!
Part of this was for labor which, the mechanic states "the warranty company limits our hours on a repair so we have to charge you for the remainder of it". Nowhere in our coverage does it state anything about labor hours being limited. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
We were also warned NOT to call the warranty company because they might just refuse to cover any of the bill then. Again, has anyone ever heard such, um....'stuff'?
We also were charged for a couple of things that clearly should have been covered by the warranty company and we suspect he never called on.
We are looking for advice and guidance here. We feel like we are getting the shaft and we spent 4 hours on friday there arguing with them about the bill and got no where.
Lastly, we had an A/C issue where it just hummed but would switch on and off, mostly off, and not cool. We brought it in once, they changed a switch and said it was fixed, said because we didn't mention we had the extended warranty we were liable for the bill. $450 and the warranty company said because Brambilla's didn't get auth. before the work was done they would no longer pay. Well, 3 hours down the road on a long vacation,we realized it was not fixed. We immediately called them but were too far to turn back. It was well within the 90 day guarantee period of their work but because the wording on the form you fill out with the problem was not exactly the same as this time when we brought it in, they will not reumburse us for the $450 dollars. Is that reasonable?
Sorry for the long post but we are so angry we could spit nails. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Paula

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #2

We had a number of issues we brought to our local dealer to be repaired under our extended warranty. We have the top level of coverage and a $100 deductible. My husband wrote on the form we filled out in big bold letters, TWICE, that we have the warranty and to please estimate the work, check with the warranty and if not covered to please call us before doing the repair. We were never notified of anything, in fact, they never called us, we had to call them.
My husband asked about the warranty and was told it would be taken care of "before we got there". Imagine our dismay when we recieved a bill for $1200!!!
Part of this was for labor which, the mechanic states "the warranty company limits our hours on a repair so we have to charge you for the remainder of it". Nowhere in our coverage does it state anything about labor hours being limited. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
We were also warned NOT to call the warranty company because they might just refuse to cover any of the bill then. Again, has anyone ever heard such, um....'stuff'?
We also were charged for a couple of things that clearly should have been covered by the warranty company and we suspect he never called on.
We are looking for advice and guidance here. We feel like we are getting the shaft and we spent 4 hours on friday there arguing with them about the bill and got no where.
Lastly, we had an A/C issue where it just hummed but would switch on and off, mostly off, and not cool. We brought it in once, they changed a switch and said it was fixed, said because we didn't mention we had the extended warranty we were liable for the bill. $450 and the warranty company said because Brambilla's didn't get auth. before the work was done they would no longer pay. Well, 3 hours down the road on a long vacation,we realized it was not fixed. We immediately called them but were too far to turn back. It was well within the 90 day guarantee period of their work but because the wording on the form you fill out with the problem was not exactly the same as this time when we brought it in, they will not reumburse us for the $450 dollars. Is that reasonable?
Sorry for the long post but we are so angry we could spit nails. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Paula

Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I think I'd be looking for another dealer for my service if this is the way I'd be treated.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #4

Yes, we don't plan on going back-even if it means a long drive for service. We have not paid for the work done, yet. We are still disputing it. It's hard to believe that an extended warranty company would not pay for labor, isn't it?

Paula
Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #5

Extended warranty companies will do whater it takes to get out of paying for anything.It is true that they only pay for a certain amount of labor,some of it may be realistic and your tech took too long.You shouldnt be liable for that time unless it was brought to your attention.Dont know you so would like to hear the otherside before I make any more comments,but it sounds like you may have been burnt a little.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We are still disputing it. It's hard to believe that an extended warranty company would not pay for labor, isn't it?

Ray & Paula </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dear Ray and Paula, very sorry for the way you've been treated. No-one should be treated as if the investment made is no longer a concern. Was this your first purchase with them?. Who recommended them? Have you spoken directly with the owner?. What service aggreement did you sign and date, before they started to work on your unit?. Do you have a copy? Does your service aggreement state "call prior to" beginning work?
Additionally, suggest you post both the name of the dealership, and extended warranty company. It will help other RV'ers at IRV2.com understand/identify what/where/with whom things could possibly happen at that dealership and extended warranty service contract company. Could help someone-else avoid a big pitfall.
Second be pro-active, contact the BBB and see if there are others who have had problem/s with this dealership and warranty company.
Please try to resolve this matter ASAP. You don't need to be dragged into court/jail for failure to pay or have your credit effected or warranty cancelled and you not be aware of it. Again be pro-active and get this resolved "in ink" DocUSAF
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LUV2RV-MN:
We had a number of issues we brought to our local dealer (Brambilla's in MN) to be repaired under our extended warranty. We have the top level of coverage and a $100 deductible. My husband wrote on the form we filled out in big bold letters, TWICE, that we have the warranty and to please estimate the work, check with the warranty and if not covered to please call us before doing the repair. We were never notified of anything, in fact, they never called us, we had to call them.
Part of this was for labor which, Mike at Brambilla's states "the warranty company limits our hours on a repair so we have to charge you for the remainder of it". Nowhere in our coverage does it state anything about labor hours being limited. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Paula </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are far more patient than I would have been by 3hrs and 45 minutes. (Very Important)I would go to this link and fill out a RVSreview concerning the questionable service/lack of received.
RVService Reviews If in fact your copy of the original work order says in writing to call you for estimates or non warranty covered items before performing and they did not do so, that would be theirs to eat and not pay them period.
I would also E-Mail the help desk at MotorHome Magazine and ask them to contact the company on your behalf for an explanation. Gets national coverage that way.http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/contactus/
I would review the bill with a fine tooth comb and if you doubt the accuracy/honesty of any issue, contact your extended warrany company and see if they will get involved. Too often companies like this will try to bully customers into submission for uncalled for charges.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #8

Now you know why extended warranties are worth about the same as the paper they are written on.
"On Air" Consumer advocates around here say to save your money!
Jerry
Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #9

The problem is that NOTHING was brought to our attention. Every time my husband called he was told something was on order and nothing was mentioned about the warranty. When he would ask all that he could get out of the service guy was that he would have the warranty stuff all taken care of before we got there. To us that meant "taken care of", as in paid. The service guy, we now know, is very good at talking in circles and not admitting anything. He even told us we were right but still refuses to do anything.
DocUSAF, the company who we did spend 45 minutes to an hour with to no avail, is going to remain nameless for now, in case we go to court. This is the dealership we purchased the RV from. At the time the salesman was wonderful and we were sure he would help us in any way possible.We would stop by to say hello to him just because we liked him that well. Unfortunately, he died of cancer over a year ago.
There is a form you fill out when you first get there, not sure what you would call that, but it's where you fill in what the problem is. That form is where my husband wrote to call before doing work not approved by the warranty company. (twice) I am sitting here looking at the customer work order for work done and we have not signed that because we are disputing it. Supposedly, the service guy is calling the warranty company back to see "what else" he might get covered. (huh?!) It's been 2 working days and we have yet to hear anything from them.
Thank you for the tips, hadn't thought of the BBB and if I should post the dealer and warranty info in another spot on the forum, will you please let me know? I'd be glad to if it would help anyone else.
JC2, thank you for the info and links. I am going to place a call to th extended warranty people right now and ask some questions about coverage and possible arbitration which is listed as a right on my warranty paperwork.
Thanks and I will post how it all resolves. If anyone else has anything to add, it would all be appreciated.

Paula
Old 08-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #10

Frankie, you were right about the hours. They have a book they go by and that is what they allow. However, the man at the warranty center did say that most honorable dealerships will not charge beyond what the extended warranty will pay. At this point we really don't have a huge issue with the warranty company, instead it is all with Brambilla's and what appears to be 'padding' of our bill and a lack of willingness to stand up to it's supposed 90 day guarantee of their work. So, I will pursue the links given me, check with the BBB and go from there.
Also, Jerry, Normally we do not buy extended warranties but this being our first MH we thought it prudent. Yes, we are arguing with the dealership over 1200 dollars but the warranty covered another 2300 dollars so we can't say too much negative about them, nor our decision to purchase it.
Thanks, everyone.

Paula
Old 08-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #11

Paula,believe me when I say I am on your side.This dealership should have notified you , period,before they went beyond the warranty coverage.You will more then likely pay the bill,then pursue them in small claims court.Document everything.Consult a lawyer about posting on a public forum,should be okay,but have read of other case where defamation was brought up.I am just trying to give you sound advice. Good Luck.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #12

Well, goodness...sorry if I sounded cranky, Frankie. I have a low tolerance for poor customer service and the poorer the service, the less my tolerance.
I have posted at both the MotorHome magazine hotline and the RV Service Repairs sites. I guess it's too late to ask for legal advice about posting, although I could delete the info here i suppose.
I've gotten copies of the service request ticket and it clearly states to check with the warranty company and call before doing any repairs, which they never did.
You are right, it may mean going to small claims court. Bummer.
I guess I will go remove the company name, just in case....
Then time to go for a walk and forget about it all for awhile.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ray & Paula

From what you have said, it does sound like the RV repair place is not being totally open and honest with you. And if it was clear they were not to do any work without contacting you first, I would be raising all kinds of stink!!

I don't use extended warranties, but have heard many, many owners say that you should NEVER trust the repair place to be the only contact with the warranty company -- you need to be talking to them to be sure they are aware of the work, and to ensure you don't get nasty surprises later. ** YOU hired the extended waranty company -- they work for YOU, and to have the service facility people tell you that you should not talk to them is not only highly suspicious, it is outrageous!! ** That alone would ring all kinds of alarm bells for me!!!

As suggested, after it is all over please submit a review of your whole experience at www.rvservicereviews.com so others can benefit from your problem there.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Consult a lawyer about posting on a public forum,should be okay,but have read of other case where defamation was brought up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since a legal question was interjected, let me say this:

As long as you don't make a false disparaging statement about another person or entity that causes injury to reputation or emotional distress, a libel suit for what you post in a public forum would fail. The key to staying above legal reproach is to not stretch the truth to make your plight more sensational.

If it's true, keep on posting.

Administrator