Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #1

I am posting this here as some of you do not go to RV.Net. Although the story has not been verified I thought that if anyone is pondering a policy from them they might want to wait.

"About 18 months ago I purchased an extended warranty with Phoenix American through Warranty Experts. The policy is for a Dutch Star DP. The cost was $2300. I never had need of the policy until a few weeks ago. My refrigerator quit. The policy says it covers the refer, including the cooling unit, which is what failed. I called the company to get instructions as to how to proceed to get repairs done. They said the refer was covered, and to find a qualified facility, and take the rig in and have the service rep call to initiate a claim. I traveled 200 miles to a qualified dealership. The service rep called Phoenix only to be told our policy was invalid, because Warrnty Experts was writing frauduent/invalid claims. The policy was immediately cancelled. Not only will Phoenix American NOT honor the contract they entered into, but they will only refund $1100 on the $2300 the warranty cost, because the rest of the money is Warranty Experts' commission, and we have to contact them to get the rest. It's my understanding that Warranty Experts is GOING OUT OF BUSINESS in December. I'm out $1200,(assuming I actually ever see the $1100 refund) and have NO coverage."

Moisheh

moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #2

I am posting this here as some of you do not go to RV.Net. Although the story has not been verified I thought that if anyone is pondering a policy from them they might want to wait.

"About 18 months ago I purchased an extended warranty with Phoenix American through Warranty Experts. The policy is for a Dutch Star DP. The cost was $2300. I never had need of the policy until a few weeks ago. My refrigerator quit. The policy says it covers the refer, including the cooling unit, which is what failed. I called the company to get instructions as to how to proceed to get repairs done. They said the refer was covered, and to find a qualified facility, and take the rig in and have the service rep call to initiate a claim. I traveled 200 miles to a qualified dealership. The service rep called Phoenix only to be told our policy was invalid, because Warrnty Experts was writing frauduent/invalid claims. The policy was immediately cancelled. Not only will Phoenix American NOT honor the contract they entered into, but they will only refund $1100 on the $2300 the warranty cost, because the rest of the money is Warranty Experts' commission, and we have to contact them to get the rest. It's my understanding that Warranty Experts is GOING OUT OF BUSINESS in December. I'm out $1200,(assuming I actually ever see the $1100 refund) and have NO coverage."

Moisheh

Old 10-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Moish:
Sorry to hear of your experience. Earlier this year when I bought an 01 Monaco DIP, I searched all the aftermarket warranty comapnies, and heard so many horror stories, I decided to go with Good Sam..thought I could trust them. Silly me...about 4 months later I had a hydraulic leak...quoted $1800 for repairs...dealer called GS and was told no coverage....GS failed to tell me, and I obviiously missed it when reading the policy, that their coverage on anything older than 5 years or 50,000 miles exlcluded anything that leaked out of a seal or gasket. Wow...almost every system has gaskets or seals...so I cancelled the policy and am self insuring. I think all these policies are a rip!!!
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #4

teof: Fortunately tht story was not me. I was simply reporting what someone posted. I will try to keep everyone posted on the subject. It would be terrible for someone to buy a policy when the issuer may not be around to service the customer. I remember when Warrnaty Gold went under and the thousands of people who got nothing. Some had bought policies the day before!! Maybe a Warranty Experts customer will contact them and report back.

Moisheh
Old 10-22-2007, 06:58 PM   #5

Yet another reason why I also self insure. That $2300 he used to purchase the policy could have been in an interest bearing account earning a few dollars. Then when the fridge went out he could have paid for a new replacement from the funds. Most, not all, people come out far better by NOT purchasing the policies.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #6

The only reason dealers sell extended warranties is the commission!!
You can see from this post, just how much the commission really is. OVER HALF of the amount charged. The sales people push the warranties because they often make more commission on the warranties than on the RV!
NEVER, NEVER WASTE your money on an extended warranty. Here is yet another example of what happens.
A major nation wide consumer radio program is based here in Denver and Tom Martino says "Never buy an extended warranty on anything unless it is from the actual manufacturer of the RV/Vehicle and then check it out before you sign the papers."
Read the warranty looking for all the ways they can get out of covering your problems more than what they cover.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Jerry:
You are sooooooo right!!! It's the really fine print that is easily missed, UNTIL you have a problem and find out the hard way!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #8

The thread on Warrant experts continues on RV. Net. Sounds like they are having difficulties and threatening any one who posts anything negative with lawsuits. Yet even after this thread someone started another wondering if some other warranty company is OK. PT barnum was wrong. Another sucker is not born every minute, it is every second!!!

Moisheh
Old 11-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #9

I have a call into Jason now at Warranty Experts as I had not received my policy yet. Turns out they only mail applications once a month and mine did not get into October's mailing. So it only went out 11/05 and likely is not 'processed' yet. Jason is following up for me to ensure it's at the insurance company (not Phoenix American) and will call me back so that is reassuring.

This is my first extended contract I have purchased on anything and I only hope I don't have any issues. The reason for purchasing is mainly the heat pump we have that costs a lot to replace (labour and parts) and considering it's used both in warm and cold tempuratures, I could see it going.

Originally I was going to go with a company based out of Florida because they are regulated. Turns out the local Winnie dealer I have been getting service at decided not to honour those warranties for their own reasons so I decided not to go with them because of this!!!

Always the customer is last when it comes to service and commitment these days.

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Kyle:
I sure hope your experience with Jason is better than mine was when I first tried to buy a policy with them....his followthrough stunk!! I am without a policy, but have had some fairly expensive thins to fix...hopefully, I am now all fixed, and won't have any further problems.
Like all insurance, it's a crap shoot!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #11

See San Antonio BBB

http://www.centraltx.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=2780...age=1&bureau=&bbbid=
Old 11-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Only mail them once a month? That's incredible! When I bought my policy through them last November it was processed immediately - I received my copy (from Jason) within a couple days and the insurer had it nearly as quickly (I checked).

They used to be excellent but things have gone very sour at Warranty Experts and now I hear complaints about bad customer service, failure to send payments or paperwork to the insurer (thus never starting the coverage) and writing policies in a manner that the insurer later rejects).

I recommend shopping elsewhere - it's not worth the risk.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Gary, I bought our policy also last November from Jason. We got the same quick, and pleasent service as you did. I wonder what is happening to this once solid company?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Dunno why they got so bad and fairly quickly at that. I was shocked to hear some of the stories about policies gone astray and abusive language from the WE owner when the poor customer calls to complain about his missing insurance.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote