Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #1

Warranty Questions

I am looking to be smart about a Class A purchase in the next nine months. This will be a FT home for us for at least 3 years and I'm not looking to NEED to trade up--in other words, if we like it, we may never go back to sticks and bricks.

As I survey the field, many major players are folded companies: Holiday Rambler, Monaco, and Country Coach especially. Would it be right to assume that if I buy a two- or three-year-old gently used coach, the factory warranty is expired anyways so I don't really lose anything, and these brand names are as good as, say, Tiffin and Foretravel?

I can't buy new; I just want to buy solid value. How concerned should I be that parent companies are no more?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #2

Quote:
How concerned should I be that parent companies are no more?
Just exactly where are people getting the idea that Holiday Rambler, Monaco, and Country Coach are no more??
Holiday Rambler and Monaco are built in the same factory in Coburg, Oregon. Country Coach is built about 12 miles away in Junction City, OR.
Both have been through bankruptcy court in the past year and re-emerged as much smaller entities. Country Coach is still having problems and is building only on confirmed orders from what I hear. Monaco is rumored to be building 1 coach per day in Oregon, but I have no confirmation of that.
Both build quality vehicles, whether or not either will remain in business is anyones guess. Monaco/HR is now owned by Navistar, and they state they are going to continue to build new coaches. They are the same vehicles as before the bankruptcy although hopefully with a higher quality control procedure.
If you want one with factory warranty, I will have to be built after Navistar took over and re-named the company Monaco RV, LLC

Old 11-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
I am looking to be smart about a Class A purchase in the next nine months. This will be a FT home for us for at least 3 years and I'm not looking to NEED to trade up--in other words, if we like it, we may never go back to sticks and bricks.

As I survey the field, many major players are folded companies: Holiday Rambler, Monaco, and Country Coach especially. Would it be right to assume that if I buy a two- or three-year-old gently used coach, the factory warranty is expired anyways so I don't really lose anything, and these brand names are as good as, say, Tiffin and Foretravel?

I can't buy new; I just want to buy solid value. How concerned should I be that parent companies are no more?
Turbo Turtle,

These people are great to deal with and also have Repo's. They are the #1 Monaco and Holiday Rambler dealer in the US.

DeMartini RV Sales, Recreational vehicles (RVs), Holiday Rambler, Holiday Rambler Motorhomes, Monaco Motorhomes, Monaco Coach, Monaco Coach Corporation, Used Diesel Pusher, Used diesel, Endeavor, Scepter,** Imperial, Dynasty,* Windsor, Camelot, Navig

Myself and 4 of my friends purchased new Monaco's from them and they beat every one's price.....Congrats on your purchase.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandys Man View Post
Just exactly where are people getting the idea that Holiday Rambler, Monaco, and Country Coach are no more??

...whether or not either will remain in business is anyones guess. Monaco/HR is now owned by Navistar, and they state they are going to continue to build new coaches. They are the same vehicles as before the bankruptcy although hopefully with a higher quality control procedure.
If you want one with factory warranty, I will have to be built after Navistar took over and re-named the company Monaco RV, LLC
This last sentence is what I was asking. I like the SFT floorplan of either the Holiday Rambler Endeavor or the Monaco Diplomat best. The 2007/2008 models had this floorplan and seem to be available near the top of my price range. So, my question is this: the parent company is no longer warrantying coaches built before the Navistar takeover. BUT, the coaches from these years may not have one anyways since they are a bit older, right? How much should these things play into our buying decision?

Said another way: would you folks buy a 2-3 year old Monaco or HR coach if you were me? Why, or why not? (Specifically with regard to warranty; I know that I'm comfortable with overall quality.)
Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Turbo Turtle--

I am in a military RV park in Gulfport MS. We have a retiree here that bought a new entry level '08 Monoco diesel pusher just before the bottom dropped out of everything. He has problems he is dealing with on his own- He's not a happy camper. For one thing his slide out cables are messed up.

I saw the following bit of info on the internet yesterday. He does not even have a computer so I printed it out so he could look for help somewhere.

Tips on Buying an Orphaned RVHaving trouble viewing this email? Go here to see it online. Good Sam Takes Care of Orphan RVs

You could say the effect of the limping economy on the RV industry reads like a Dickens tale. In the past two years, record numbers of RV manufacturers and dealers have closed their doors, or have phased out some of their brands. The result is an increase in orphan RVs — new RVs manufactured by RV makers that have since gone out of business.

Should You Purchase an Orphan RV?

Some advisors recommend avoiding orphan RVs altogether. But if you negotiate the right terms and get a reliable and affordable third–party service plan, like the Good Sam Extended Service Plan (ESP), you can afford to get a lot of RV for your money.

1.)Drive a hard bargain. Since there is no new RV warranty on an orphan, get the biggest discount you can negotiate.

2.)Understand the lingo. Know the difference between a manufacturer's warranty, an extended warranty and an extended service plan. Review the different types of warranty and plans here. You are not required to purchase your warranty from the dealer.

3.)Get it in writing. During sales negotiations, some RV dealerships may agree to repair problems on an orphan RV — just as if it were covered under a manufacturer's warranty. If a dealership offers this option, make sure it's included in the contract.

4.)Do your research. Talk to an RV repair shop and find out if parts for the orphan RV are readily available

5.)Be thorough. Perform a comprehensive walk–through of the RV and insist that all problems be fixed before you actually take delivery.

Do You Already Own an Orphan RV?

If your RV model has been discontinued, take action now. First, attempt to contact the manufacturer and ask if they are honoring the warranties. Below is a list of the RV Manufacturers that have recently gone out of business.

Out of Business Manufacturers National RV
Western RV
Alfa
Travel Supreme
King of the Road
Travelaire Weekend Warrior
Pilgrim International
Teton Homes
Ameri–Camp
Sunline Coach Company
Chinook/Trail Wagons Rag'n
Extreme RV
Big Foot RV
Dolphin
Sun Valley Inc.
If the manufacturer is no longer honoring warranties, ask if there is another brand dealership linked to the same RV maker where you can take your vehicle. Also request contact information for the parts suppliers, in the event you need to track down parts.

Appliances and accessories within the RV will be covered by their own manufacturers. The chassis will also be covered by the chassis manufacturer. But some RV manufacturers (like Monaco) also manufacture their own chassis. Meaning, if the manufacturer is not honoring warranties, your chassis is not covered.

The best way to avoid costly repair bills for your orphan RV is to opt for the Good Sam Extended Service Plan. Coverage includes the chassis, coach systems, coach accessories and coach appliances as well as the systems and accessories on fifth–wheels and travel trailers. It's not a warranty program but a mechanical breakdown policy insurance, which is strictly regulated like any other insurance product. You can quickly activate coverage and keep your orphan RV protected.

Here is another company offering continuing service coverage. I was going to look into this company's coverage myself until I read this.

I now have the Good Sam CSP (Continued Service Plan) in effect. I understand their coverage is renewable until the coach has 150,000 miles on it. They will initiate a policy until the coach is up to 12 years of age.

Good luck,
Old 11-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #6

Your plan is a good one and warranty is of no concern. Just be sure you do a good thorough inspection of the unit you want to buy.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The warranty is not an issue on older coaches that are out of warranty anyway, but it is nice if there is a source of any unique parts should you ever need them. As I understand it, the new Monaco has some parts for older ones and a 2007 is probably fairly current anyway.

The new Fleetwood is honoring the original warranty on coaches built before they took over - it was part of the buy-out deal. An American Allegiance or Revolution might be in your price range.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Turbo Turtle,
RV Roamer makes the point I would be worried about the most. If the manufacturer did not use industry standard parts or buy components from industry leaders, parts availability, for me, would be a concern. Some manufacturers made their own chassis. This would concern me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post

Turbo Turtle,
I think that if you are looking for a FT rig this is a great time to buy. Look at the new prices vs used, they are very close. If a waranty is important then purchase an after market policy like GMAC. No matter if you purchase a new or used MH you will find bugs. In these economic times the new coaches are priced the lowest that I have ever seen.

Good luck, and congrats
Old 11-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Turbo Turtle...Good Morning to you!
I want to tell you that we do own an SFT. I love the floorplan and I did live in it full-time for a year. I am going to throw a few things out here - so bear with me if this post becomes a bit long.

I feel DeMartini is the best dealer around...but I am a bit partial. They have an SFT shown here. I will also say that SacsTC's choice would now be this coach with the front kitchen. I would recommend seeing if you could stretch your budget a bit to make it fit. The one other rig that Sacs would seriously consider in that price range would be this used Dynasty.

A couple more points to mention...The 2007/2008 (and possibly some 2009's) would have no warranty BUT you can buy something that would help for less than $400 that would give you some decent coverage for that first year. De Martini does offer excellent extended coverage plans at some of the best prices around...even if you do not buy a coach from them.

You have brought up Country Coach in another post. I personally would be more concerned about them going completely out of business long before Monaco RV LLC. Monaco is back to building coaches for dealer inventory - whereas CC is building orders only and you buy "factory direct" (which also tells me there would be a lack of dealers around to do repairs). This may or may not be of concern...but some of the parts will be manufacturer specific - and that should be a concern.

I will also answer your PM soon, but this gives you a few other things to consider in the meantime.
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Besides a hundred other things to look for, check the CCC or Cargo Carry Capacity. It will be listed on a piece of paper along with the other weight limits, usually inside a cabinet. If you are full-timers you should allow at least 2000 for all the "stuff" you're going to put into the MH. My RVing friends know that I'm always curious about the CCC, really obsessed about the CCC. The first MH we looked at had a CCC of 700 pounds and thankfully we didn't get it. We did buy a 2007 that had a 1000 pound CCC and soon after traded it in on a 2008 that has a CCC of almost 5000 pounds! Good luck & take your time with the search!
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #12

Coach warranties on new models are so short that a warranty is just not a big factor. Set back a certain amount of money in a CD for repairs. If you need it, you use it, it is your money. If you don't you still have all your money plus a little interest. The big factor is shop carefully for a used coach. Spend a little and have a mechanic check it out before you buy. He can't guarantee it, but he can take some of the guess work out of buying. Be sure to check he date of the tires, they are a big item. The last things you want to fail is the brakes and the tires.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Turbo Turtle,
RV Roamer makes the point I would be worried about the most. If the manufacturer did not use industry standard parts or buy components from industry leaders, parts availability, for me, would be a concern. Some manufacturers made their own chassis. This would concern me.
Really has been a problem for us. Even with their own designed chassis, other parts were bought from suppliers - may take some work to figure out who supplied them, but that is where the Owners Groups become so important.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Remember that a "failure policy" only covers BREAKDOWN.....

Not manufacturer defects

Most extended warranty are in fact breakdown insurance, so if you buy new without a mfg warranty, be sure to check EVERYTHING in PDI before you give them any money, I would plan on a 3 day PDI, to visually and functionally TEST everything, as QC on htese vehicles is none too good.

loose wiring, looses hoses, plumbed wrong, etc...bring along an expert

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote