Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #127

Originally Posted by j2m2 View Post
We decided that we liked the camping/travelling thing so much that selling the house & buying HOWie & the Beast was what worked for us. We love the freedom that we can move if we don't like the neighbourhood. At the moment we have been FTers for 1 1/2 yrs. No taxes, no nasty landlord (the CG owner here is awesome). We have been in this campground for over a year now & love it. Don't have to shovel the driveway, mow the grass. Can have a fire without the neighbours complaining about the smoke. It is wonderful to be able to do what we do. It works for us at the moment. We have both decided that when the time comes to get another S&B we will get a condo or apartment. Both of us do not want the upkeep of a yard anymore. If I get the urge to scratch in the dirt my sister has a whole yard I can play in. We will not use some of the things we initially put into HOWie (3 huge solar panels, 4 deep cycle marine batteries, inverter to make it all work) but we were planning for the future back then & things change. So be it. We are happy & that is a good thing. Cheerio

We must be genetically related!
But, gee, I sure miss my lawnmower, snowshovel, rake, repairing the house, and all the really fun stuff.
Now to search the country for years, seeing stuff most peeps cant even dream of, and maybe finding the perfect place with the right weather, etc for the final condo/apartment/whatever where we will never mow, shovel, repair, etc. And still go out with the RV, if able.
Yep! The journey is our destination.
Happy trails!

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #128

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
This is a great topic. Folks have lots of reasons for buying new or not. This may be somewhat of a simple response, but my answer to the OP's questions is this: I buy new because that's the way I want to do it! Period!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34 TGA
Ford V-10 22000 lb chassis
Brake Buddy Advantage,
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #129
Housing prices have actually appreciated over the last 10 months...yippe That means I will be able to pay an agent to sell it.

I am thinking it will be worth it...can't wait.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #130
Winnebago Owners Club
We bought used for two simple reasons: 1) I couldn't afford new, 2) my DW wouldn't have let me buy new if we could have afforded it. I really wanted new though. No weird smells, nothing to fix(at my own cost), get exactly what you want(colors, layout), don't have to worry about abuse etc etc. Our first Rv was a tent trailer. It was 2 years old and had been stored on a garage and used 4 times. Still smelled new and I saved 40% over new. 2nd Rv was a brand new travel trailer. Ordered a 2008 in fall of 2007. Paid too much but how was I to know the market was going to collapse? Lol. Third Rv is a used DP. I feel we got a decent deal, but I lost 66% of the travel trailer on trade over the price I paid for it. So having said all of the above, I would still buy new cause I look after my toys and know they'll last a long time. Is a new DP in my future?....nope. Mostly cause of #2!! But that's ok. This isn't gonna be our last Mh cause I'm only 36. It's already 8 years old. My plan is to trade up when it's 20-25 years old and buy my last DP which will be 5-7 years old. By then I'll be almost ready to retire. But if I winthr lottery, I'm buying that new mountainaire!!!!
2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, 350HP C-7 Cat
Toad: Flat deck car trailer hauling a 1932 ford tudor sedan
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #131
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
My philosophy:

You can't line your coffin with hundred dollar bills.

Well actually you can, it just might be considered tacky
Rusty & Kelly Glen
2000 Bounder 43ft double slide > constantly evolving toad, full timers.
Country entertainer/RV Tech/ Mechanic
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 AM   #132
The most expensive perfume is the smell of a new car/RV

I am one who speaks from experience. If I have my way I would buy used all the time but my DW likes the new smell so I have spent hundreds of thousands $$ by buying new. Of course depreciation is the biggest cost in having an RV, particularily if you buy new.

So if budget is a major concern then used wins every time.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #133
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our reasoning concerning the depreciation is we do not care. We have no kids, so we plan on spending all of our $$. Whatever we have when we both die will go to our 4 favorites neices (2 on each side) with instruction to spread our ashes on a beach.
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2013 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
2016 Chevrolet Equinox - V6 - AWD
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #134
Foretravel Owners Club
Hell, we all come from something, some well todo backgrounds and some like me, scratching for a living. That said, I am 71, have zero debt, still running a good business, and bought a 6 year old Foretravel 36'. Got from great dealer real close to the factory, the coach was 100% cleaned, no smells and serviced, including all the gadgets, Aqua Hot, HWH room slide, HWH computer leveling etc, etc.
In the past 5 years of ownership, I have spent -0- on repair but a good bit on updates, painting, fiberglass changes, lights to LED type work. All optional, zero for repair of coach. Have considered upgrading, BUT WHY, this unit has all I need, all the power with the Cummins 500 HP engine and the 10 kw Genset with the 4 cylinder Kubota and very comfy, what could be better?
So, I feel buy a top quality used and enjoy it. I sure do.
Besides I am not trying to save anythng for the DW next buffalo, she will be very comfy unless she get tangled up with a looser who spends her poor.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #135
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Someone has to buy 'em new.. I can tell you that the warranty was a good thing on mine, I needed it a few times.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Folks... I have deleted several posts for being off topic.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #137
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We just bought a brand new 2015 Itasca Meridian 36M on January 15 and have never looked back! It has everything we wanted . . . high tech, WD, fireplaces for ambiance and warmth, TVs inside & out, residential frig, the exact colors we wanted, solar panels and we love the new smell. It was never a financial investment for us; it was an investment in our lifestyle filled with fun, laughter, great memories and fabulous trips!!!

PLUS we got a 26.95% discount off the MSRP which was way less than buying used! We looked at lots of used RVs (1-2 yrs old) but the owners wanted more than what we could buy new. So it was a no brainier . . . NEW!

When researching Tiffins, we learned that there were certain Tiffin dealers that would give 25-30% discounts (WOW!) off the MSRP plus great service. We also found it was not uncommon for buyers to purchase from the dealer were they got the best price even if they would have to travel to do so. We learned to negotiate by email (phone is second best) requesting their best bid since we already knew what we wanted. So a big thanks to forums like this!

And the best is yet to come!
"Living Our Dreams and ❤️ The Ride!" Kay & Richard, Austin TX
2015 Itasca Meridian 36M "Roada"
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #138

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have never bought new. I let the other guy take the hit when he needs the new model. Cars, boats, bikes and RV's.

Used doesn't bother me. I know how to fix them and I love doing it. Smells are easy to rid yourself of, but then I don't buy stinky vehicles. New car smell comes in an air freshener these days. New carpet does the same thing.

Dirt? I know a fabulous detailer.

All the money I saved allows me more toys, and more doing.

The investment is in your happiness, not the vehicle. That said, what makes me happy is having the toys and the money to use them.

Jay & Patty Executive Director Liberty Farms
County Coach Magna. Magna Carta "Maggie"
99 Jeep GC/05 SAAB 9-2x Aero (AKA Unicorn)
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #139

Newmar Owners Club
I could never have purchased my rig new. Gently used, new tires, and 60% off it's original MSRP in 2007. The MSRP on a 2015 is another 110K above what mine was new.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #140
Winnebago Owners Club
We buy new. Why - because we want to and like to. No reason not to as it is our money to do with as we see fit.

There is no depreciation hit unless you decide to sell. If you buy what you want from the beginning there is little reason to sell.

If we would have waited until our coach became available at a reasonable used price we would likely have lost several years of living in it, in the best years of the rest of our life.

If you keep putting off making a decision and buying what you like you may never get anything done.

Whether you buy used or new the idea is to get out there and enjoy your life. If it is RV'ing or anything else it does not matter. Just do it.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote