Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
We just bought a brand new 2015 Itasca Meridian 36M on January 15 and have never looked back! It has everything we wanted . . . high tech, WD, fireplaces for ambiance and warmth, TVs inside & out, residential frig, the exact colors we wanted, solar panels and we love the new smell. It was never a financial investment for us; it was an investment in our lifestyle filled with fun, laughter, great memories and fabulous trips!!!

PLUS we got a 26.95% discount off the MSRP which was way less than buying used! We looked at lots of used RVs (1-2 yrs old) but the owners wanted more than what we could buy new. So it was a no brainier . . . NEW!

When researching Tiffins, we learned that there were certain Tiffin dealers that would give 25-30% discounts (WOW!) off the MSRP plus great service. We also found it was not uncommon for buyers to purchase from the dealer were they got the best price even if they would have to travel to do so. We learned to negotiate by email (phone is second best) requesting their best bid since we already knew what we wanted. So a big thanks to forums like this!

And the best is yet to come!
Hi and welcome to the forum. This thread is over two years old but as you can see the topic is as evasive as ever.

The problem is, the question of, is buying new "worth it", is looking for an objective answer to a subjective question.

Lots of folks find that buying new fits perfectly into what they want, what they expect, and what they can afford. Seems simple. I did that very thing in 2007 when I bought my new 40DP. I followed the same type of internet shopping search you did and got about 26% off MSRP. I got what I expected at a cost I expected. All was good. No regrets.

If I were to buy another coach today, I would not buy new. Just a change of mind based on experience I didn't have in 2007.

One size certainly doesn't fit all in this case.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #142

We're still glad we bought ours new. 27,000 miles later and I haven't lost any money.

I keep checking my accounts, but no extra money has disappeared from buying a new motorhome. Maybe in a couple more years, I'll post up if it happens.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #143

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
We're still glad we bought ours new. 27,000 miles later and I haven't lost any money.

I keep checking my accounts, but no extra money has disappeared from buying a new motorhome. Maybe in a couple more years, I'll post up if it happens.
John,
We bought used and my accounts haven't seen an influx of cash.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #144

Quote:

"Haven't lost any money" (except for the day we drove it out the door)
Old 02-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #145

We bought ours new and actually saved a little money. We looked at two 2013 models of our same MH, at two different dealerships. Both had roughly 10,000 miles on them. The 2014 has the new body style and a few more options, better colors ect. Thinking we would be able to negotiate a good deal on the used ones we tried, but to our surprise we were able to buy the new one for $3000 LESS than the used one. Both dealers thought we would not get the deal we did on the new one and stood firm on their price, so we bought new and we are really glad we did.

Those of you who bought used may have saved some on the original purchase, but yours too will depreciate. I'm sure being the second/third owner doesn't help the resale value either. In our case we too saved buying new and got a better MH than the used on would have been. I didn't buy this thing to worry about money, if I had to worry about money I wouldn't have bought one. I don't really care about the depreciation as It's paid for, and I don't plan on selling it and we are the original owners which will be a selling point if I ever do. And just like PDR John I haven't noticed any extra money missing from my savings accounts due to buying a new MH either. In the end all of them will be worth very little compared to the original purchase price.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
"Haven't lost any money" (except for the day we drove it out the door)

Only if I tried to sell it the day we picked it up.

That's the part you all seem to forget. You spend way to much time looking at book prices. I'll keep this coach for 10 years or more, I'll get every one of my pennies out of it.

I meet a lot of guys that think I'm a fool for spending $239,000 on a new coach, meanwhile they're on their 5th coach (that they're not happy with) and they're only paying $50,000 each for theirs.

I can be that kind of fool.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #147

Tiffin Owners Club
Two reasons for buying new: (btw, our advisor said the same as yours did, but he didnt get the total picture, too young)
1) bought new because neither of us knew a thing about repairs, less unknown worries about why someone traded a 4 year old in. We wanted the warranty.
2) clean, never used is nice, and remember, you will sell it as a newer model so you will get more back. So subtracting the difference of loss on a new one can get you a higher percentage back. Also easier to sell, and bigger percent off of a new one on the lot.

You really need to be well educated about rv's to buy used. Dont find out afterwards.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #148

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOwl View Post
You really need to be well educated about rv's to buy used. Dont find out afterwards.
I think you need to be knowledgeable about RV's whether buying new or used.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #149

Was buying your brand new RV worth the depreciation?

It just doesn't matter!
I have spent more than my potential depreciation on bacon, sausage, and sashimi.
I have enjoyed RVing and many more things in life that make it all worthwhile.

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #150

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum. This thread is over two years old but as you can see the topic is as evasive as ever.

Rick
The "Paddle's" have juice.....and we have a heartbeat! It is alive again
Like with anything we all do in our lives.........Money is the deciding factor, and how many years you want payments if you do not have enough of the "Green Stuff".......
Old 02-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #151

Quote:

Is it possible that the people who can't detect the difference between a $700 and a $1400 monthly payment, have way too much money to understand this discussion topic?

If it was a cash purchase from savings, the price difference between new and used is the amount that is not earning interest every month. That is the depreciation. "If I can't see it, it isn't happening" is an interesting financial outlook.

Our approach was that we preferred the comfort of a higher end used coach to a low end new for the same dollars.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #152

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Is it possible that the people who can't detect the difference between a $700 and a $1400 monthly payment, have way too much money to understand this discussion topic?

If it was a cash purchase from savings, the price difference between new and used is the amount that is not earning interest every month. That is the depreciation. "If I can't see it, it isn't happening" is an interesting financial outlook.

Our approach was that we preferred the comfort of a higher end used coach to a low end new for the same dollars.
Anything is possible, except having way too much money.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post

Some pay cash. And have no regrets.
I saved and gained interest, dividends, buy-low sell high, etc for decades. I spent a part of the interest on my MH.
I can see, drive, and enjoy my MH, and it is what is happening now! And every day is interesting.

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:07 AM   #154

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call me cheap, but I have never bought new. Even my wife was married before !!!!!😃, But that aside, I have always looked at new to find out what we liked but always founds bargain on the same thing used. One very important equation is that I am mechanically competent and able to get a very good feel for what I am buying. As extra insurance, I always get an extended service plan just to cover my butt .
With my current Motorhome, I actually put a down payment (refundable of course) on a new MH. I then went online and found the same thing used and saved seventy thousand dollars !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote