Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #155

I don't think it's a matter of having "way too much money". It's more a matter of knowing your prices and spending your money wisely, not just with MH's but every purchase you make. The price difference in our MH new over used ones we saw of the same model that were a year older, was we actually saved about $3000, and got a new warranty. Sure we could have bought one that was several years old and saved maybe $25,000, but that is not what we wanted. And I think you have way over estimated the payment difference, I'm fairly confident that if someone was going to buy the same MH new vs used they would not have a $700 a month difference in payment.

I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth either. I took a job that everyone said I would never get rich in, and that was true, but I worked hard and spent well. What it did have was good pay, a job that was secure and not really affected by the economy, and a great pension. So although I didn't get rich, I didn't waste my money like a lot of my big money friends did, and then when the recession came they lost it all because they never spent wisely or saved( they never really appreciated the money they had). So now that I have saved, invested wisely, have two paid for houses, and working on a third, I kinda do feel rich.

So we bought new and splurged on ourselves, it didn't hurt our savings, we don't have the $1400 payment you speak of and can pretty much come and go as we please. So it's all about how one choses to spend their money. The thing I find ironic is that people who buy new don't try to insult used buyers or put them down in any way, but some people who buy used(not all of you, most of you have class) put down people who buy new and make comments about wasting their money, being stupid for buying new, losing thousands in depreciation ect., "I got a high end MH for the same money you spent"( but it's 10-20 years old) it goes on and on with the comments. By the way they all depreciate even your used ones.

But at the end of the day it is not a right or wrong thing to buy new or used, just a personal choice based on finances, expectations, and what one wants. We are very happy we bought new and don't worry about the depreciation. You lose nothing if you don't sell it, and if we ever buy another one we will give this one to our kids to share so they can continue to join us RV'ing.

Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #156
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm always entertained by this topic. People who can afford to buy a new coach are criticized by those who can't/don't.

Criticism #1 - I don't buy depreciating assets. What does that mean....does it mean you sit in a used chair and watch life go by because you don't want to buy anything that will lose a buck? An RV is not an asset, it's a luxury, we have no illusions about that.

Criticism #2 - I only pay cash! So you bought your house with cash?.....or you waited until your 70 to buy an RV, or you save for 20 years to buy a $2000.00 RV. Who cares....when you're laying on your death bed you can look back at all the things you didn't experience because you waited 30 years to pay cash!

Criticism #3 - Too many problems with new coaches so I buy used. Really, you buy a used coach with it's own set of issues and that's better?

Let's be honest, most people buy used because that's what they can afford...there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with that. The problem comes when you criticize those who can afford to buy new and do so.

Too many people here worried about other people's money. They even go as far as stating that their poor stake in life is caused by those who were frivolous with their purchases!

Please don't justify your reasons for buying used by criticizing those who bought new.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm always entertained by this topic. People who can afford to buy a new coach are criticized by those who can't/don't.

Criticism #1 - I don't buy depreciating assets. What does that mean....does it mean you sit in a used chair and watch life go by because you don't want to buy anything that will lose a buck? An RV is not an asset, it's a luxury, we have no illusions about that.

Criticism #2 - I only pay cash! So you bought your house with cash?.....or you waited until your 70 to buy an RV, or you save for 20 years to buy a $2000.00 RV. Who cares....when you're laying on your death bed you can look back at all the things you didn't experience because you waited 30 years to pay cash!

Criticism #3 - Too many problems with new coaches so I buy used. Really, you buy a used coach with it's own set of issues and that's better?

Let's be honest, most people buy used because that's what they can afford...there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG with that. The problem comes when you criticize those who can afford to buy new and do so.

Too many people here worried about other people's money. They even go as far as stating that their poor stake in life is caused by those who were frivolous with their purchases!

Please don't justify your reasons for buying used by criticizing those who bought new.
Don, Very well said, it's not a competition, it's a life style and to enjoy RV'ing it will cost money to enjoy either way.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #158

Was buying your brand new RV worth the depreciation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
So we bought new and splurged on ourselves, it didn't hurt our savings, we don't have the $1400 payment you speak of and can pretty much come and go as we please. So it's all about how one choses to spend their money. The thing I find ironic is that people who buy new don't try to insult used buyers or put them down in any way, but some people who buy used(not all of you, most of you have class) put down people who buy new and make comments about wasting their money, being stupid for buying new, losing thousands in depreciation ect., "I got a high end MH for the same money you spent"( but it's 10-20 years old) it goes on and on with the comments. By the way they all depreciate even your used ones.

Sorry if you or any other "new" MH owners were offended. That was not my intention. I say "new" because no RVer who has driven it off the lot owns a new RV. Only manufacturers and dealers do. Ours are "used" and "more used".

My point was the absurdity of saying "It's not depreciating if i choose not to see it". Just because your spouse smiled and nodded does not mean the rest of us are buying it. This kind of logic is great to justify signing the purchase order, it just falls apart when you write it down.

My assumption of "used" cost is 50 cents or less on the dollar, and therefore the 100% increase in monthly payments.

I bought my last boat from a dealer for 55% of the price of a new one of the same model. It was one year old with two years remaining on the warranty. Yes, I did have to spend a couple of hours washing it and changing the oil. Not to say that this is the norm, but to illustrate that an object is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, regardless of the whimsical number on the windshield. Paying less for a new coach than the price of the used one standing next to it sounds like a bait and switch tactic by the dealer. Is anybody really going to walk in and say "No, I insist on paying more for the used one"?

Reality check: Annual depreciation on a ten year old vehicle is negligible compared to a new one, and may even be negative depending on the motivation of the buyer and seller in the two transactions.

As others have said, new or used, do your homework and understand what you are buying. The financial motivations of you and the salesman are not exactly parallel. Buy whatever makes you comfortable and happy. You earned it.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #159

Quote:
I don't think it's a matter of having "way too much money". It's more a matter of knowing your prices and spending your money wisely, not just with MH's but every purchase you make. The price difference in our MH new over used ones we saw of the same model that were a year older, was we actually saved about $3000, and got a new warranty. Sure we could have bought one that was several years old and saved maybe $25,000, but that is not what we wanted. And I think you have way over estimated the payment difference, I'm fairly confident that if someone was going to buy the same MH new vs used they would not have a $700 a month difference in payment.

I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth either. I took a job that everyone said I would never get rich in, and that was true, but I worked hard and spent well. What it did have was good pay, a job that was secure and not really affected by the economy, and a great pension. So although I didn't get rich, I didn't waste my money like a lot of my big money friends did, and then when the recession came they lost it all because they never spent wisely or saved( they never really appreciated the money they had). So now that I have saved, invested wisely, have two paid for houses, and working on a third, I kinda do feel rich.

But at the end of the day it is not a right or wrong thing to buy new or used, just a personal choice based on finances, expectations, and what one wants. We are very happy we bought new and don't worry about the depreciation. You lose nothing if you don't sell it, and if we ever buy another one we will give this one to our kids to share so they can continue to join us RV'ing.
Very interesting take on it, I concur with you 100%. But, its even worse buying a new airplane.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #160

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Personally I don't care what the Joneses are doing unless the Joneses are stepping on me. If it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg....

If money were no object I'd buy new. It is. In my case to buy new I'd be buying a lot smaller and lesser equipped unit, would not be able to afford the 28' trailer I will be towing behind me, nor the goodies inside that trailer or the fuel to go anywhere. My penny pinching ways tell me to buy gently used. I like a good bargain and I love to make my money go further.

For the way we plan to use our coach beginning mid year a 40'+ , quad slide, tag axle with Aquahot is the only way to go. $500k+ isn't in the cards.

Those that buy new leave guys like me with a wide selection to choose from. Love you guys! Now if we could only get you to stop ordering them with the disco ceilings and rope lighting...... Oh, and gally in the front.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #161

Of course not. But, ..... We, especially the DW, wanted a bed that had not been slept in, nor a toilet or a shower that had been used by others. It is ours. I suppose it is good for some who want to buy used that others buy new, eh?

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 02-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #162
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Why can't you guys let it go? What if the new buyers were to say to all the used buyers.....Too bad you made poor life decisions and the best you could do were used vehicles. I'm sure that would fire you up, but we don't.

I realize that people have all types of life issues. Some grew up in hard times and have a mind set that they save money where they can. Some suffered through medical expenses that have eaten at their budgets. Some plan only on RVing for a few more years because of age or health and don't want to spend the money on a new coach.

On the other side of the coin, some of us have seen family and friends die at 45 or 50 years old after saving all their life and never spending a dime. Many of us worked our butts off and saved in other ways so we could buy the coach of our dreams at retirement. So neither side should criticize the other. As I said before, you can't spend other people's money!!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #163

Twelvevolt, I didn't take offense but you did somewhat miss my point, and no my wife didn't smile and nod at me(that's actually more offensive then what you think about new vs used). She actually wonders why I even care what others do or buy as we did what we wanted and bought what we wanted. We wanted certain things and didn't want to buy someone elses problems or a MH that had been lived in. I just think that when others have to make snide remarks about new owners just to justify buying used, that's not real classy. You don't see new owners making disrespectful remarks to people who bought used for a wide variety of reasons.

The biggest point you missed is I actually bought mine for $3000 less than two used ones we looked at that had about 10,000 miles on them and the older body style, as well as less equipment and smaller chassis. The dealers both basically said that not everyone will do their homework like us and they would not lower the price as someone would pay the price and assume they got a good deal just based on the MSRP's of the new ones. I know what my dealer made as he is the owner and actually showed me his invoice and what he paid, so I was glad to go with the new one. And I'm sure some of you will say I'm stupid for trusting my Dealer, but I would bet his honesty and integrity against any other person, dealer or not, for a lot of reasons, and what we have experienced with him as well as friends we have referred to him. But like others we wanted something new anyway, we could easily afford it, and didn't have to settle for something that wasn't everything we wanted.

When it comes to depreciation, I'm not worried about it for several reasons, one being I will not see the depreciation as I won't be selling it, and I'm positive if I had bought one of the used ones the depreciation would be even worse. To be realistic if you buy a MH worrying about depreciation then maybe you shouldn't be buying one. Also if I was looking for a used MH I would spend more money buying it from the original owner than I would the second, third or fourth owner, I think that will affect the depreciation even more, but I forgot used MH's don't depreciate.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #164

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have always bought new vehicles with a few special exceptions. I am an end-of-model-year buyer. Buy heavily discounted, and keep it a long time. Two of my exceptions were the MH's I have owned. The first was trying RV'ing and keeping the cost low in case we did not like RV'ing. The 2nd is the one I have now. I bought it used with 5300 miles on it, looks brand new, inside, outside, underside, topside. If I wanted a particular year end model, the deal would have been good enough that depreciation would not have deterred me. However; buying this great unit (so far) at 40% of original list was sweet.

My real problem with buying a new RV is all the horror stories I have seen on this forum of people driving 1000's of miles for "factory repairs", loss of use for weeks and months, unsolvable major problems. I prefer to buy an RV that is old enough to be corrected, and of course depreciated on someone else's dime. There are 3 major manufacturers that I would not even look at due to feedback on this forum.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #165
Rolling Stoners

Depreciating assets are never going to be good investments. Buy it if makes you happy and don't give it another thought. I would not trade on moment of the happiness our RV has brought us for even one dollar of returned depreciation.
stoners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoners View Post
Depreciating assets are never going to be good investments. Buy it if makes you happy and don't give it another thought. I would not trade on moment of the happiness our RV has brought us for even one dollar of returned depreciation.
X2...exactly our feelings too.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The biggest point you missed is I actually bought mine for $3000 less than two used ones we looked at that had about 10,000 miles on them and the older body style, as well as less equipment and smaller chassis. The dealers both basically said that not everyone will do their homework like us and they would not lower the price as someone would pay the price and assume they got a good deal just based on the MSRP's of the new ones.

Six months ago, I would have had a hard time understanding/believing that a dealer could possibly have two used coaches in inventory which were (firmly) priced above the negotiated cost of a new one. However, having just sold my coach on consignment through a dealer in the Phoenix area and observed how this works in some scenarios.

The dealer listed the rig for $119K in June. It was advertised on a number of national web sites and although there were a few people who seemed serious, after three months, ... no sale. Keep in mind this is in Phoenix during the summer. A lot like trying to sell a coach in Maine during the winter.

Around the end of September, after four months of nothing, the dealer INCREASED the price by $20K to $139K. It sold two weeks later.

The dealer knew that snowbirds would be returning to the area and many would be looking to trade in their current rigs on a newer/upgraded version. Apparently the elevated asking price gave him plenty of room to deal with those folks who either hadn't done their homework... or needed to feel they were getting a good value for their trade in. It also allowed him to put all new tires and batteries in it and provide a six month warranty.

I guess the bottom line is that this tactic is real and can explain the strange "pricing" on some lots.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
My real problem with buying a new RV is all the horror stories I have seen on this forum of people driving 1000's of miles for "factory repairs", loss of use for weeks and months, unsolvable major problems. I prefer to buy an RV that is old enough to be corrected, and of course depreciated on someone else's dime. There are 3 major manufacturers that I would not even look at due to feedback on this forum.
They don't all require the trips back to the factory. We have put about 8,000 miles on ours in the first year, spent over 100 nights in it so far, and no major issues. We have had it back to our dealer twice for a total of 4 hours( not days, weeks, or months) for minor issues, adjustments, and the microwave recall. Both times we stayed with the MH and took it home the same day. I did my research to buy quality, and I would call that quality build as well as after sale service. You get what you pay for.