Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #169

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
They don't all require the trips back to the factory. We have put about 8,000 miles on ours in the first year, spent over 100 nights in it so far, and no major issues. We have had it back to our dealer twice for a total of 4 hours( not days, weeks, or months) for minor issues, adjustments, and the microwave recall. Both times we stayed with the MH and took it home the same day. I did my research to buy quality, and I would call that quality build as well as after sale service. You get what you pay for.
Guess what Newmar is not on my naughty list.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #170

When we bought new in 2013 we didn't want to spend the extra 20-30K on a higher end coach. Well, you get what you pay for!! Depreciation is really only a problem when you have a year old coach that is terrible and in the shop constantly! THAT is when you will realize the other coach was a higher price for a reason!!!!
You live and learn!!!
Do your research, talk to other owners, and read the owners forums, and don't ever think "that can't happen to me". THEN make your RV buying decision.
Good Luck!

RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #171

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We were looking at new Dutch Stars but found a '09 CC Magna for about 1/3rd it's new price. Waiting for the financing to come through now.
We like Newmar's and our present one is still in great shape. Just couldn't see taking the big hit on depreciation when we can get a higher end used one for less than the DSDP would cost.
We have money in the bank and decided "why should we leave it for the kids, lets enjoy it now". Even doing this leaves all our $$ in annuities so we can will that to a charity.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #172

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
For the way we plan to use our coach beginning mid year a 40'+ , quad slide, tag axle with Aquahot is the only way to go. $500k+ isn't in the cards.
They are out there. Just be patient and it will come.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #173

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
... There are 3 major manufacturers that I would not even look at due to feedback on this forum.
One of the three just rang in above ^^^^

I imagine mine is one of your three but so far so good. We shall see... for now we love her.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:32 PM   #174

Was buying your brand new RV worth the depreciation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Of course not. But, ..... We, especially the DW, wanted a bed that had not been slept in, nor a toilet or a shower that had been used by others. It is ours. I suppose it is good for some who want to buy used that others buy new, eh?

Very true. Of course, the converse is also true. If there was no used market, few people could afford to buy new. Financial institutions would not touch an RV loan. No point in repo'ing an item no one wants to buy, hence no collateral value. Engineering and overhead costs would have to be amortized over fewer units sold, creating a higher price tag. It is nice to see how we are all cooperating to maintain balance in the industry.

We had the same concerns. The new toilet was $200, bed $600, shower head $25 and faucets $200. Many thanks to all the previous owners and the dealer's detail people. We did a full cleaning and could not find dirt anywhere. Another plus is the fact that all those synthetics used in manufacturing have already gassed off and we are not breathing it. I believe the marketing euphemism is "new car smell" to make it sound like a good thing.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #175

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Of course not. But, ..... We, especially the DW, wanted a bed that had not been slept in, nor a toilet or a shower that had been used by others. It is ours. I suppose it is good for some who want to buy used that others buy new, eh?
Interesting... so no public facilities in your life? Restaurants, commercial air travel, sporting events, Dr's office, hospital, movie theaters, cruise ships, hotels, condos, museums, historical/state parks, schools, municipal buildings, and typical travel destinations would most likely require that you utilize some provisions that "had been used by others"!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #176

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both of my used MH's got a mattress change first thing. The current one, part of the deal was for the dealer to remove it prior to my taking ownership. It was a full King so I wanted no part of getting it out and to the landfill. So far as toilets etc., rubber gloves and disinfectant, bleached the fresh water tanks, good to go!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #177

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
One of the three just rang in above ^^^^

I imagine mine is one of your three but so far so good.
Actually, my priority's were a gasser, Ford chassis, 2005 or newer, W/D, Fleetwood Pace Arrow or Bounder. We also had some interest in certain late model Winny's and Newmars.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #178

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Actually, my priority's were a gasser, Ford chassis, 2005 or newer, W/D, Fleetwood Pace Arrow or Bounder. We also had some interest in certain late model Winny's and Newmars.
On the phone app I don't see profile until I actually open the drop down. Our '08 38F was in our sweet spot - DP - bath & 1/2, W/D and CCC. Fit the bill perfectly for us. She's home sweet home now.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #179

After reading through more of the thread, what I'm noticing is that many people are saying depreciation, when they really mean opportunity costs of buying new. When you spend 300K on a new coach versus 200K on a used one, that 100K has opportunity costs associated with it. There is no getting away from that. We all know that MH's are depreciating assets, so they all lose $ over time. The question is, can you write it off on your taxes?

As you get older, opportunity costs diminish.. that 100K above might be meaningless to a comfortably retired couple... but to a 20-30 year old it is the world, as it can mean over $1M in the market if played properly in 10 years.

For those that buy new, thank you.... For those that buy used, you should be thankful that someone took the initial hit for you.

To each their own, their is no right or wrong here, IMO....
Old 02-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #180

Fleetwood Owners Club
Buying new or used is a crapshoot.....used could have been someone's lemon that they must get rid of; new could be Friday afternoon's build and all the guys were thinking about was the weekend and hadn't a care in the world about the quality of what they were putting together. Most all of them depreciate. Personally, we've bought two used and our most recent one was purchased new. The most angst that I had was regarding the first one, purchased used. And that angst was about having spent ANY money on something that was "sitting" in the driveway for all but maybe six weeks of the year. Our new MH costs almost three times as much as our first used fifth wheel, but have had no regrets because it is our home. The upshot, not just a question of depreciation, but also of use. Would I be happy purchasing new for an occasional vacation use RV?? Never! Am I okay having spent the money on a new one that I live in?? Having already enjoyed 423 days of living in it, yes I am!!! But having said this, even with this most recent new MH, we were initially looking for used. We found the floor plan that we fell in love with and felt we could live in full time. It was introduced in 2012, the few used units we could find nationwide were the same price that we were able to buy this one new. So new it was, with fear in our heart that we'd have one of those you read about that is in the shop constantly for warranty work. It has worked out, and since we plan to live in it for many years, depreciation is the least of our worries.
thanks8990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP88 View Post
After reading through more of the thread, what I'm noticing is that many people are saying depreciation, when they really mean opportunity costs of buying new. When you spend 300K on a new coach versus 200K on a used one, that 100K has opportunity costs associated with it. There is no getting away from that. We all know that MH's are depreciating assets, so they all lose $ over time. The question is, can you write it off on your taxes?

As you get older, opportunity costs diminish.. that 100K above might be meaningless to a comfortably retired couple... but to a 20-30 year old it is the world, as it can mean over $1M in the market if played properly in 10 years.

For those that buy new, thank you.... For those that buy used, you should be thankful that someone took the initial hit for you.

To each their own, their is no right or wrong here, IMO....

Ding, ding, ding winner. Let's dig a little deeper here. We'll use me for the example.

We bought new in 2012 (just for a timeline). Why? Because nobody had what we were looking for in used. We searched for 2 years.

We use our coach as our work house. So we were very specific in our wants and needs, having lived in out '03 Fleetwood Providence for 2 years prior to our updated search. We knew what was right for us and how we use our coach. No had made one, but Newmar would build it. Things have changed now, of coarse.

I am now 40 years old.

For work: We chase after hail storms, which means we have around 24 hours to be somewhere USA. If we don't make it we lose out 100% (self employed). We work anywhere from 6-16 hours a day, 4-7 days a week for an unknown amount of time. Our shortest storm was 6 hours (drove 1400 miles for that), the longest was 10 months.

We are in it from -7F to 120F and generally 9 months out of the year.

Before we started do this in a RV we had to use motels. No matter how you math it out, our payment plus RV related expenses are less each month. Massively. For example; this last summer I was working with a couple of guys that were staying in motels. Not the cheapest or the most expensive, just the mid priced place. They each were paying $1000 per week for 3 months. The most expensive RV site (ever for us) was $800 per month.

This doesn't even take into account food. Of which, I am a celiac. I don't get to eat just anywhere. Once working in AR I had to buy a small grille just to be able to cook my on food. No restaurant was safe for me to eat in. No motels with kitchenettes, but lots of RV parks.

Plus we get to right off expenses (parks,fuel etc), interest and depreciation. Plus the meal allowance.

There is no way I could have bought a used coach, had it remodeled to how we needed it and saved any real money.

Having this coach makes us the money to afford this coach and it's almost payed off already.

I think we made the right choice for us.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #182

Country Coach Owners Club
Bought used 13 years ago.

Still have it.

Still use it.

It is 20 years old and will go almost anywhere.

Still trying to decide if it was the right purchase decision.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote