Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #183

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
They are out there. Just be patient and it will come.
There are a lot of them to be sure. RVT & RV Trader are full of them. We've looked at many, driven a few and even had independent inspections done on 2. Thank goodness we did too. Some hidden nightmares out there.

The most difficult to find pre 2009 is one with a front galley. We like this layout because the extra cabinet space in the cab area make the kitchen more efficient and the layouts you get for the lounge area especially not having the main TV at a 90 degree angle to the seating area.

This layout of course is not a deal breaker for us, but it's what we prefer. If we can't find one in our budget I plan to remove one of the sofa's and build a new desk that serves as an extension of the kitchen counter with a pull out desk table that can be extended for the DW's sewing table (think similar to expanding dinning table but larger). I'll just make the TV pop up out of the top of it. We intend to use ours full time and will haul our toad and my workshop in the trailer behind us. We will be working from the road.

Anyway, back to the topic, everyone has their preferences when it comes to used vs new. Whichever works for you is right for you just the same as size, floorplan, diesel, gas and on and on. It seems to me to be petty to criticize others for their choices/preferences. I'm seeing that in both directions. Worse is the superiority attitude. Neither is superior. One would hope we have a brotherhood here.

Moreover, why would you care one wit what the other guy/gal is doing? The only reason I care someone buys new is because many do sell/trade every few years and that makes a good selection of units for people like us at a price we can afford. I care about those buying used because they become my competition supporting higher resale prices. Other than that, I could care less.

I'm also a cabinet/furniture builder, former contractor and former mobile electronics installer/fabricator that has worked on many DP's over the years. Doing $30-60K audio/video upgrades is how I got to where I can now afford to even buy one. Even Newells have some ugliness behind the beauty panels. Point being I can modify the interior to suit our needs so I don't have to order new to get what we want in the end. Building things is what I love to do.

Who knows, maybe I will make a mobile business out of it using ours as a mobile showroom. I have read a lot of threads here where folks drive long distances to get this stuff done. How nice would it be to have those mods done right in your own driveway so you can see the quality of the work?

Oopps, I hijacked the thread again. Sorry.

1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #184

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
My philosophy:

You can't line your coffin with hundred dollar bills.

;-)
Well actually in point of fact you can. Some might say the coffin already is given how much they actually cost.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #185

[QUOTE=Old Car Nut;2412789Who knows, maybe I will make a mobile business out of it using ours as a mobile showroom. I have read a lot of threads here where folks drive long distances to get this stuff done. How nice would it be to have those mods done right in your own driveway so you can see the quality of the work?

Oopps, I hijacked the thread again. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

I think that would be pretty cool way to make a living. Or supplemental income.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #186

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
I think that would be pretty cool way to make a living. Or supplemental income.
Thats what I was thinking John. We can see the country and offset the cost. Keep me from being bored. We are in our early 50's but have managed to retire. I've run out of things to do on the S&B so now we are selling it for life on the road while we are young enough to do it. Already sent all the kids to college and set up college funds for the grandkids, so why not have some fun.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #187

Ford Super Duty Owner
I went cheap my whole life and now I want to enjoy the nicer things in life. Don't need luxury items - gas "A" will do. Currently on our second new coach in less than four years and no regrets. In previous life as a business owner I needed to now true costs behind business expenses - now I can't even say what our coach costs per mile and really don't care. After all - as retirees - isn't it our new job to stimulate the economy? Just doing our fair share to create jobs and enjoy life at the same time
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
My philosophy:

You can't line your coffin with hundred dollar bills.

;-)
Reminds me of the joke about the millionaire who left a will stating all his cash money will be buried with him. When his young wife was asked about her not being in the will, she said, "no problem, I removed the cash from his coffin and wrote him a check".
I dreamed a lot last night, right after watching RV Nation on TV; they featured building a new Newell motor coach.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #189

Mine has actually gone up. I see used ones listed for more than I paid for mine.
Price increases and devalued dollar have helped.
Glad I bought mine new when I did 2 years ago

Ps Does your financial advisor mention that eating in a restaurant is a bad investment as well or golfing, going to the theatre, vacation etc.?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:48 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Mine has actually gone up. I see used ones listed for more than I paid for mine.
Price increases and devalued dollar have helped.
Glad I bought mine new when I did 2 years ago

Ps Does your financial advisor mention that eating in a restaurant is a bad investment as well or golfing, going to the theatre, vacation etc.?
X2.....We were talking to our dealer and he pretty much told us the same thing, plus we too have seen used ones listed for more than we paid. I really think the floorplan and gas chassis has something to do with it. Ours even though different brands are almost identical floorplans ect., and somewhat in demand for those who want bigger MH's but not the diesel engine.

Financial advisors only care about counting the beans but not necessarily about making an investment in your lifestyle. I don't really need a Financial Advisor to tell me what I can buy, at this stage in my life I've either planned well or not and know what I need to get me through the rest of my life. You can't take it with you.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:13 AM   #191

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
I went cheap my whole life and now I want to enjoy the nicer things in life. Don't need luxury items - gas "A" will do. Currently on our second new coach in less than four years and no regrets. In previous life as a business owner I needed to now true costs behind business expenses - now I can't even say what our coach costs per mile and really don't care. After all - as retirees - isn't it our new job to stimulate the economy? Just doing our fair share to create jobs and enjoy life at the same time
Right on Suzie & Chuck!!!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #192

Absolutely worth it.
We bought our ACE with the intentions of keeping it long term- 20+ years.
We are not 'heavy' rv'ers so we wanted something that would fit the bill that we could keep long term.

We also wanted something that we could lay our name to. Every scratch, wrinkle, stain will have some sort of memory attached to it. 15 years from now I will still remember the very first time AliCE had her first camping trip.

Weird...but maybe that's just us.

EricGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm always entertained by this topic. People who can afford to buy a new coach are criticized by those who can't/don't.

While it might not be intentional that sure looks like an ad hominem slur.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #194

Well we will find out. I'm picking up our first RV ever in about 6 hours. One just like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5972459_2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	85298  
Old 02-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #195

Those look pretty neat, I really ant to see one in person.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #196

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, I am pleased with the decision of buying new. We could not find a used one with the options we wanted. And, the used prices were so close to the price we paid for new.