Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #197

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Congrats Randall's and welcome to RVing!!!

austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #198

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Randall View Post
Well we will find out. I'm picking up our first RV ever in about 6 hours. One just like this:
What year is that one? It's cool looking.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #199

Ps try and find a decent used gas coach now. If you are lucky it won't have crt TV's, dusty rose or blue or green colour scheme outdated exterior colours and last but not least brass fixtures.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #200

We have owned new and used motorhomes, and trailers. WE had many problems with both new coaches. The first was a brand-new Tiffin 30DA Open Road. WE 10 trips back to the dealer for repairs. Leaks, electrical, slide-out issues, awning problems, electric shade problems, and most disturbing, was the suction hose for the central vac melted from being in contact with the propane furnace. Tiffin is a high-end, highly regarded coach manufacturer. We decided to downsize, and liked the Thor Vegas. We bought a unit after searching for a while, they were hard to get, as they were so popular. We had even more problems with this unit. You name it; electrical, driveshaft, plumbing leaks, very poor quality control, inside and outside. We have, as yet not resolved all the warranty issues, tho, hope we will be all done next week, just as the warranty expires. We would NEVER buy a new coach again. A used coach will have a few thousand miles, most of the kinks worked out, and the major depreciation has already taken place, not at your expense. Most extended warranties are crap. However Good Sam is quite reputable, and probably your best bet if you feel you really need a warranty. Or maybe a credit union near you has an RV warranty program.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #201

defects

So you won't buy a new coach again. I wonder what the buyers found out buying your used motorhomes with absolutely no warrantee think? Were "all " the kinks worked out?
Old 02-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #202

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
So you won't buy a new coach again. I wonder what the buyers found out buying your used motorhomes with absolutely no warrantee think? Were "all " the kinks worked out?
I fear there may be many "well loved" used coaches as described out there just waiting for the next buyer. I wonder how many have had tv antennas ripped off, water leaks, etc that have been passed on?

Makes you wonder how a person can pass on two "problem" coaches and then boldly state that they are pleased to buy a used coach that has all of the problems solved. Perhaps if they had fixed the problems in the coaches they had they would have been very pleased.

Just saying - you are likely buying other peoples problems. IMO there are a lot of folks who move on because of problems. Most of the well loved coaches will be from people who are retiring from the road. Most but not all as there are likely a few who are moving up/or down in size and features.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #203

And now we know how a used coach buyer can end up so jaded that they only buy new.

Interesting. Coaches so horrible new, that they become a used jewel.

Must be a similar process that turns coal into diamonds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I fear there may be many "well loved" used coaches as described out there just waiting for the next buyer. I wonder how many have had tv antennas ripped off, water leaks, etc that have been passed on?

Makes you wonder how a person can pass on two "problem" coaches and then boldly state that they are pleased to buy a used coach that has all of the problems solved. Perhaps if they had fixed the problems in the coaches they had they would have been very pleased.

Just saying - you are likely buying other peoples problems. IMO there are a lot of folks who move on because of problems. Most of the well loved coaches will be from people who are retiring from the road. Most but not all as there are likely a few who are moving up/or down in size and features.
X2 Gordon....that is one of the main reasons we bought new. And we haven't had to do much to get ours dialed in, just a few minor adjustments, and a micro wave recall. So the theory you are buying new but having more problems than buying a used one that has the bugs worked out used buyers use is not always true and somewhat exaggerated. There are probably some used gems out there, but you always see people dumping their MH's(as they openly admit it) and somebody somewhere is buying their problems.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #205

Rather than endless posts justifying why you purchased New.....isn't the simple question something along the lines of...If you could have a New 2015 Dutch Star for $350k or a Used 2010 King Aire for $350k ....which would you choose?

* Please.....No need to debate the numbers....just insert $ and brands you like better. It's the concept not the math! Comparing New vrs Used of similar models misses the point where the "used" crowd is arguing that they would forgo "newness" for higher quality....at the same price point.

Once you answer this simple question ....can't you now honestly say whether or not the depreciation on a New purchase is worth it to you.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:12 AM   #206

Still worth going new to me, and if math doesn't matter(and it always does) I would spend the extra money and get the new King Air if that's what I really wanted. I've always made good investments/saved well and would sell one of our rental homes if I wanted that high end of a MH. So when it comes to thinking some of us are stupid or don't know how to save or handle money because we buy new, that is not the case at all. I have enough investments, mostly in real estate to more than cover any depreciation I may incur. I earned it all the hard way, by working my butt off, saving and not buying whatever I always wanted, so now it's our time to splurge on ourselves. And we can't take it with us so whatever is left our kids are going to get, along with one great New MH. That's what's great about living in a free country, people get to make choices and then live with them. And nobody should worry about choices other people make unless it directly affects them.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:30 AM   #207

Tiffin Owners Club
Jack I agree, and was thinking I forgot on my post to state yes or no on whether it was worth it. Yes is my answer, and yes we did compare a lot of used upgraded rigs.

The unique reason we were ok with having to buy new that I forgot about, was we had very few choices in the shorter length of used RVs, wanting shorter, not longer. The used 'over 36 ft length' were plentiful.

If we were willing to go longer there would have been many more to choose from. Lots of reasons out there, and we've seen them all. From this informative post, I'd guess most people are not sorry at all, either way!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:36 AM   #208

Was buying your brand new RV worth the depreciation?

😄😱😃
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Jeeeeez... Mike. I get it that you are one incredible successful guy. However, with all due respect.....there is a legitimate debate/question for many people as to whether it is better to buy New or it is better to buy Used and get a higher quality coach at a depreciated price that they can still afford. Would it be OK if this thread discussed this question, even if some opinions are different from yours?
Sorry Jack, not meant to upset you, and I'm no more successful than a lot of people. If you would read enough threads on this topic(not just this thread there are several), people who buy new just get tired of hearing how stupid they are, and other remarks that are made. I've never made fun of or inferred that anyone who buys used is stupid, nor do most other new buyers. I'm sure that they do so for a reason and it may very well be to get a higher quality MH, and that is their business. The thread topic speaks for itself and allows everyone to share their opinions. The thread asks if buying new was worth the depreciation, not, buying used to get a higher end MH, you somewhat changed the original question. It seems to me you are the one that can't handle it if someone's opinion differs from yours. I just answered the question you asked(read your question), which was different from the original thread. Sorry for the honest answer you asked for. Take care...Mike
Old 02-07-2015, 01:40 AM   #210

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Rather than endless posts justifying why you purchased New.....isn't the simple question something along the lines of...If you could have a New 2015 Dutch Star for $350k or a Used 2010 King Aire for $350k ....which would you choose?

* Please.....No need to debate the numbers....just insert $ and brands you like better. It's the concept not the math! Comparing New vrs Used of similar models misses the point where the "used" crowd is arguing that they would forgo "newness" for higher quality....at the same price point.

Once you answer this simple question ....can't you now honestly say whether or not the depreciation on a New purchase is worth it to you.
Exactly right!! We've been looking at new DSDP's but then I found a 2009 CC Magna for less money and we're working financing on it now. Probably could get financing on a new DSDP easier but the CC is ending up costing less and offering more although the tires and batteries are 7 years old now.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote