Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #225
Bought 2 used MH's and 2 new ones including our new one now. Bought it because we loved the floor plan. One of the used ones was great, but the other used one we bought was not so good. I think a lot of the choice is in a persons DNA. I like new things over not knowing what used or old can bring. Not that everything new is good...

John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #226

Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Well ... maybe we didn't overthink the decision enough, but we simply made a list of what we wanted, set a budget, and started looking. *snip* The decision fit within our life-style and the Return on Investment is measured only in terms of the Happiness Factor.

This is what we did as well. We spent 2 years looking at everything, new used.

On used coaches, we had to add in remodel cost. The floorplan we wanted simply wasn't out there to be had. We did see a couple that were close, but they had been beat to death. Rebuild cost didn't make since.

When we found out Newmar would build exactly what we wanted, for the money we were willing to spend, it was a simple choice.

We didn't get "caught in the glamor and shine" of new, nor did we buy only because it was new. We custom ordered, with lots of thought.

In fact we almost cancelled the whole thing, because we would be gaining a payment. The coach we had then was fully payed for.

Looking back, it still was a great decision. The increase in comfort made a nice increase in our quality of life.

2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #227
PDRJohn& John H, we did it the same way, we spent two years looking and going back/forth new vs used. We didn't really want a diesel though( boy I surely don't want to start a whole new debate). This is our fourth RV and we had a couple boats in between, so it wasn't that we just threw caution to the wind and bought new, we just did our research and we found a new one that we loved and the price was right. We also weren't caught in the glam and glitter as we had to wait for it to be delivered. We too looking back still feel we made the best decision for us and love it.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #228
Was buying your brand new RV worth the depreciation?

Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
While it might not be intentional that sure looks like an ad hominem slur.

Had to look that one up. Thanks. I think you are correct.

I too am entertained by neighbors at the campground who confide that they aspire to one day have a nice DP like mine. Looking at their much newer rigs, I know that they paid the same or more than I did. Get what you want and enjoy it.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:39 AM   #229
Monaco Owners Club
Read the whole thread. Great discussion.
There are many manufacturers, resellers and Used Coach dealers.
The thread tells us there are many views/convictions as to buying New or Used, tag, gas dp. So there is a coach for every taste.
I bought my second used DP cause I couldn't justify the depreciation to the DW.
I bought the best coach I could buy with the money I had available.
I love my coach and when I sell it at the end of 2016 to buy a bigger boat in Australia someone is going to get a pre loved coach with no squarks.
Buying used doesn't necessarily mean you will be buying other people's problems.
Due diligence will eliminate some risk.
My first coach was (perfect) but I spent $3600 a couple of months later when the transmission ECM failed - just bad luck.
Buying new doesn't eliminate all risked either- no need to expand
People buy and sell for all sorts of reasons. Like me - I'm out of here at the end of 2016
If people don't buy new there will be no used coaches or spare parts for them.
If you feel like a new coach go for it.
Us used guys need you desperately

Reality is this thread proves choice is king.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2005 Monaco Signature Castle 1V
2013 Subaru Outback Toad
SteveSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #230
You bring up a great point. "Begin with the end in mind" all of us have different "ends" or no planned "end" in mind. Makes a huge difference when discussing depreciation.
2012 Winnebago Sightseer
2003 Wrangler
...and a dog named Belle
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #231
Originally Posted by austx View Post
Congrats Randall's and welcome to RVing!!!
Thank you...

Originally Posted by scep View Post
What year is that one? It's cool looking.
It's a 2015. Brand spankin'
The Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #232
Was buying your brand new RV worth the depreciation?

Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Six months ago, I would have had a hard time understanding/believing that a dealer could possibly have two used coaches in inventory which were (firmly) priced above the negotiated cost of a new one. However, having just sold my coach on consignment through a dealer in the Phoenix area and observed how this works in some scenarios.

The dealer listed the rig for $119K in June. It was advertised on a number of national web sites and although there were a few people who seemed serious, after three months, ... no sale. Keep in mind this is in Phoenix during the summer. A lot like trying to sell a coach in Maine during the winter.

Around the end of September, after four months of nothing, the dealer INCREASED the price by $20K to $139K. It sold two weeks later.

The dealer knew that snowbirds would be returning to the area and many would be looking to trade in their current rigs on a newer/upgraded version. Apparently the elevated asking price gave him plenty of room to deal with those folks who either hadn't done their homework... or needed to feel they were getting a good value for their trade in. It also allowed him to put all new tires and batteries in it and provide a six month warranty.

I guess the bottom line is that this tactic is real and can explain the strange "pricing" on some lots.

Sad but true. When we were searching there were several coaches that the salesmen did not even want to discuss with us. These were being saved for the day that very special customer walked in the door who could fully appreciate the shiny, clean interior without looking any further.

The firm price is also an interesting concept. When buying my coach, I put all the numbers in a spreadsheet which objectively gave me what it was worth to me. I made the offer. The dealer came back with a firm counter offer, then a second firm counter, then a third, and then he accepted my offer. Years ago I had the manager of a car dealership literally run after my car in the parking lot as we were leaving so he could accept my offer. The biggest factor working in your favor is the fact that you can take your bag of money and leave. The biggest factor working against you is that you have fallen in love with the item you want to buy.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #233

National RV Owners Club

I have purchased many brand new trucks with pride. I have purched my last home brand new, the point is I have never thought I was better than anybody to my left or right. I spent 30 years in the service and now have a wow used DSDP. If I had excess money or could spend money without compromising my retirement goals I may have bought new. Had I bought new I still would look at all my RV brothers as equal. Live within your means seems to be the common thread here and forget who has new or used. Being an American and an RV'er is a cool common thread.
Terry & Kathy
2012 Dutch Star DP 4346
Sidewinder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #234

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by The Randall View Post
Thank you...

It's a 2015. Brand spankin'
Saw one at the Houston RV show on the weekend ... very cool rig. Really like the retro look of the interior, a lot of thought went into functionality of this motorhome. Congratulations and have a great time on the road!
Scott & Lise
2015 Dutch Star 4381 with HWH Active Air
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon "Hard Rock" or
2011 Chevy Traverse LTZ ...... both w/Blue Ox Aventa and M&G Brake
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #235
Happy Traveler : )

Wink Third times 'a charm...5th to Gasser to Pusher

A year ago we decided to sell the house, buy a home on wheels, and work-travel and home school - all for about the same we were spending on the traditional 'home'...
A slightly used 20113 Dodge3500/Blackwood 5th wheel bunkhouse worked for about a month- didnt like the 'set up' and separate pull vehicle
drove it from Ga to Tx and traded both in for a new 2014 FR classA GeorgetownXL360DS FordV10 gasser- worked for about 3 weeks, not the best floorplan for us(fulltimers)
drove back to Tx and traded in for our new 2014 classA Thor Palazzo33.3 diesel pusher bunk house(towing 2014 FordFiesta)...
havent looked back since -
depreciation/trade in loss, or not - it may take a while to figure out what you need

Happy : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #236
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
They are beautiful, shiny, state of the art machines, and New. However my financial advisor keeps telling me, there is absolutely no worse investment than buying a new RV.

But there is more to life than money right? (Well, maybe not if you're a financial advisor.)

Anyway, if you signed the paper and drove off the lot in your shiny new dream RV, while your net worth took a plunge, please let us know whether, looking back at it:

Was buying the new RV worth the depreciation, and why?

Buying any RV generally makes no sense financially. What's right for you may not be right for me.

Are you looking for affirmation on your decision?
Not all who wander are lost.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #237

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
The biggest factor working in your favor is the fact that you can take your bag of money and leave. The biggest factor working against you is that you have fallen in love with the item you want to buy.
Oh so true. Let the salesperson see you lusting after the item, whatever it is, and your goose is cooked.
Jay & Patty Executive Director Liberty Farms
County Coach Magna. Magna Carta "Maggie"
99 Jeep GC/05 SAAB 9-2x Aero (AKA Unicorn)
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #238
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
"Old Car Nut" and "TwelveVolt".....you keep saying that it's okay if someone decides to buy new, yet you keep coming back with little digs. Now you're telling us how your negotiating skills are better than ours. We all lust too much, in your mind, so we must pay too much for our shiny new coaches. What makes you think that we aren't just as skilled in negotiating. As a matter of fact, we may be even more skilled than you, since we were able to save enough throughout our lifetime to buy new.

WHY does how other people spend their money bother you SOOOOO much. Have you really thought about how hard you keep coming at this subject with your opinion.....maybe it really bothers you that others can buy new.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote