Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #253

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok the way I see it is if you can find a coach that is owned by people who are at the end of the road as far as the RV lifestyle is concerned. Why would you want to buy new?. Everyday you see adds from people who are selling because of health reasons.
If you don't feel qualified to check out a unit. Pay a reputable dealer or qualified person to do it.
My opinion about buying a new unit is this. The economy or lack of being what it is, has left us in a buyer's market. I am looking for a unit right now and have found lots of choices.
My biggest fear would be doing a search for leans. There is a shop that does motorhome work only. They will do an inspection based on an hourly shop rate.
If you have unlimited funds buy new if it will make you feel good.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #254

Here's the summary of my new vs used blogpost explaining our rationale for going used. Would I have LIKED new? Oh, yeah. But in my assessment of perceived VALUE (subjective)...

"At $72,000 MORE than the 2007 we were comparing the 2014 to ($60k vs $132k), I just couldn’t bring myself to pay a 120% premium for new. Even if I were to invest in enhancing the 2007 to bring it a little closer to what the 2014 had to offer (within reason), we’d still be looking at about 2 to 1. The decision was to get the 2007 and maybe pick up a used 2014 three or four years from now."

Anthony
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Ok the way I see it is if you can find a coach that is owned by people who are at the end of the road as far as the RV lifestyle is concerned. Why would you want to buy new?.

I highlighted to most important word for you.

We set our budget and spent 2 years looking at used and new, so we knew what would be used in a couple years, but could not find what we wanted.

I could have bought a 3-4-5 year old coach, gutted it and did a full remodel. Including updated electronics, but it would have been the same money you all claim I lost by buying new.

I found a one stop shop in buying new from Newmar.

Either way I was spending the money, I just went with the one that threw in a warranty for "free".
Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #256

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Knew what we were getting into from day one. Like PDR John we purchased new and will never look back.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #257

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I would buy used a good one owner low mileage thats been took care of, But I love the folks who buy new !!! To me if you don't like using a used RV...Hotel rooms must really drive ya crazy !!! LOL JK buy what you want ! I talked to older gentleman who was selling the nicest Beaver I ever seen prob cost a ton new ... He was only asking like 30k and the reason he said was him and his wife had so much fun in it he wanted to let someone else carry on !!! I missed buying it by about 30 minutes ... He was a class act ! Buy what you want and enjoy while you can !
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
They are beautiful, shiny, state of the art machines, and New. However my financial advisor keeps telling me, there is absolutely no worse investment than buying a new RV.

But there is more to life than money right? (Well, maybe not if you're a financial advisor.)

Anyway, if you signed the paper and drove off the lot in your shiny new dream RV, while your net worth took a plunge, please let us know whether, looking back at it:

Was buying the new RV worth the depreciation, and why?

James
Buy used for your first rv as many people change their minds after their first years and want something different, just like with boats. As a former car dealer, when I retired I bought late model cars from the dealers that sells them new.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #259

Country Coach Owners Club
" Buy what you want and enjoy while you can !"

And that is the reason we special ordered our Country Coach. Haven't regretted it in the least
Old 02-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #260

For my wife and I, yes it is worth it. All new stuff never used by anyone is a nice thought. We had been talking about a lightly used class "A" gas about 2 to 4 years old but wife fell in love at the Indy RV show. A Thor ACE 30.1 with for us the ideal floor plan and all the other requirements we had in mind. We had bought our TT older used but in very nice shape, my truck was also bought in very nice used condition. I am 68 and wife is 61 so we see this as the first, last and only MH we will ever buy. My Harley Davidson I also bought new just what I wanted; 2004 FXSTS, that is a Soft Tail Springer. This is just like the MH, as long as it is taken care of it will last as long as I can ride. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
I could have bought a 3-4-5 year old coach, gutted it and did a full remodel. Including updated electronics, but it would have been the same money you all claim I lost by buying new.

So then in a year or two when your 2013 model is 3 or 4 years old you're going to gut it and do a full model so it will have updated electronics and such?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
So then in a year or two when your 2013 model is 3 or 4 years old you're going to gut it and do a full model so it will have updated electronics and such?
Won't have to, I have the floor plan I want. If I want a different TV flat screen TV, I go buy one and plug it in. Won't even have to update wiring, everything is HDMI already.

Our floorplan was built for us, by Newmar. I've only seen 2 other coaches that are close to ours, A beat Monaco (very rough life) and a custom ordered King Aire.

My coach is 3 years old this year and is still up to date with electronics.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Seeing as we've opened this door;

For those in the "only buy used" camp, is my coach now a used coach or still a new coach.

We plan on keeping it for 10-15 years (will decide at the 10 year marker), does that still make it a "stupid purchase"?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #264
HGC

Is New worth the depriciation/

We had a 1999 Rexhall and wanted to buy new so as to have another unit for 10yrs. Bought a 2014 Tiffin thinking it would be solid and lacking as much upkeep as the Rexhall( which was pretty solid). We were wrong . The Tiffin was loaded with QC problems some serious, others cosmetic lacking care of installation and QC. It shouldn't have left the factory as such.
Either way, we got a "show" price on the Tiffin and traded the Rexhall. We took a Home Equity loan on the Tiffin @ 2.99% and kept our investments working for us with a decent spread. So I kept our financial planner happy because we are still invested. After all, as long as he can use my(your) money he is friends. Gotta keep friends!
No the MH is a terrible investment but tons of fun.But we softened the sting of monetary loss by doing the above and feel blessed to be able to do it. Just wish we would have bought a Newmar.

By the way, don't believe the show price malarkey! You can work out as good a deal. Shop around. Then ask the question ; What is the price for years of fun?
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Seeing as we've opened this door;

For those in the "only buy used" camp, is my coach now a used coach or still a new coach.

We plan on keeping it for 10-15 years (will decide at the 10 year marker), does that still make it a "stupid purchase"?
It's what you wanted and you put a priority on getting a new unit. Your happy.

I bought a 15 year old unit and another airplane for my collection. I'm happy too.

Thankfully so is the DW.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #266

Well if we didn't have the people buying new us that buy used wouldn't have anything to look for.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote