Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
If everyone bought used, there would soon be a shortage of available coaches! Someone has to buy the new ones.

RV's, hot rods, boats, off road vehicles and all of the other toys are certainly NOT something you buy to make money on. They're luxuries that you buy to enjoy life and reward yourself for working hard.

I think those that talk about depreciating assets and so on as their reason for buying used are not being totally truthful. If they were and followed their own advice, they would never by a money losing item like an RV. You buy what you can afford and feel comfortable with, but should never tell anyone else how they should spend their money.

As others stated, I don't want someone's hidden issues or the smoke free, pet free coach that has for sale pictures with a dog dish and ashtray in the background. My choice and comfort level was to buy new.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just bought mine at the end of July. I would not buy another used one.
Everyone has an opinion but I'll stick with mine.

2012 Itasca Meridian 42E, Roadmaster Tow System, Unified Brakes on Toad
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. US Army Armor. Ret
Finhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
For me it was. If I were going to invest, the last thing I would buy is a depreciating asset, like an rv. RV purchase money is, to us, spending money - we never expect it back. We also decided a few years ago that we would buy only new stuff whenever possible. We were frugal all our lives and for DW and I it is now time to reap the rewards of that frugality.
X2...I've spent the better part of 32 years making a better life for my kids...time for DW and I to enjoy the next 15-20...and while the kids won't have it quite so easy, they just might get by. First words from my son were, "...damn right...you earned it..."
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Absolutely worth it and we would do it again.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #19

It has been worth every penny. We bought it to live in, not to try and resell to make money.

If you find what you want used, great. For us, nobody built one. Newmar would build it for us though. That's what we did.

Simple rule of money: If you can't afford it, don't try to buy it.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #20
When I was looking at new 5th wheels, I also looked at the Class A diesels. The starting point on those - heavily discounted clearance prices - started at $269k and moved up considerably from there. They certainly are nice! But I just couldn't see spending that kind of money on an RV. I got a heavily optioned 5ver for ~$60k. Truck to pull it around $50k. Even if it depreciates 50% in a year or two, that number pales in comparison to the amount on a DP. I think the DP market, or what remains of it, has moved way up market. Supposed they are catering to people livin' the dream. I have no interest in marble floors or high end cabinetry in a camper. I actually spend more time outside of it than inside and polishing it is not my bag baby.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #21
Originally Posted by danf7 View Post
An Rv is NOT AN INVESMENT! If you can find a used one that has the floorplan colors etc. that matches what you want and what the owner is asking is far below new cost then go for it!. Anyway you look at it an RV is an invesment in your happiness. You are spending YOUR MONEY ON YOURSELF! I never saw a hearse with a luggage rack so go for it and enjoy!

I so agree! We went looking for a used MH, 32 feet or shorter. We bought a new 36 foot. Our intentions did not line up with our dreams and we just bit the bullet and changed our plans.
We never expected this life change to be a good financial investment but we do expect it to make us happy and give us memories to treasure. Whether you buy new or used, do what you are comfortable with and what makes you happy, yet still secure. Enjoy and live life to the fullest!
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #22
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting question. I never would have purchased a motorhome expecting a monetary return. The adventure has been priceless.
Most investment advisors minds are programmed to see investments grow, the more you make, they more they make.
I spent a good part of my working life saving and investing so DW and I could retire and do what we want.
It took me quite a while to convince our advisor that it was our money and we were going to enjoy it. If there is anything left after we are gone the kids can have it.
Harold & Linda
2009 CT coachworks siena 35V
W22 Workhorse 8.1L. Explorer Sport toad,
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Any RV sucks as a financial investment, but excels as an investment in "quality of life". No one should put their finances at risk to buy a new rig, but if the only debate is how big of an estate you want to leave, that's a different ball game. The relatives can fend for themselves.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #24
The bottom line for me is that there is nothing quite like spanking new equipment. I like buying new, it creates jobs, and it smells better. I have purchased all of my toys new, and they have all depreciated.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #25
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For me, taking a depreciation hit of 20-30% in the first year just doesn't make sense. And it has nothing to do with potential resale value. It has to do with why buy a new coach when you can buy a lightly used one for 20-30% less?
That said, to each their own. If new is your thing and you're comfortable with spending that much "extra" for essentially the same thing, go for it. This is just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #26
Without their knowledge, our kids bought us a brand new Newmar 3434. It's part of the inheritance which they will not recieve.

Our experience in buying our first motor home was to decide what we really wanted and then find a nice used unit which would have some balance of a warranty, but since we simple could not locate one at a reasonable price, we started shopping for new. Now, after reading this forum and getting a lot of good advise, we quickly got past the typical 15-20% discount and found that 25-30% was not out of the question and ended up buying new for less money than it would have cost for a one year old model. In my case, I think that the dealer took the initial depreciation and we ended up with a MH which fell into our budget.

In Florida, we have a saying on the purchase of a boat. "It's a hole in the water where you just keep throwing your money" but you really should not be trying to justify a family life style.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #27
Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a 2013 Itasca Ellipse 42GD. We have had it in the shop some, but we have taken it on 3 trips so far. We love it and hope to live full time in it next year. We were able to get a discount off MSRP. Was it worth it? You bet. My husband when he took the first shower with the improved hot water and flow, said that the shower alone was worth it. But he really likes the 52 inch TV and I went for the all electric option with the induction range and, most important, full width closet in the back. Storage is good and other little touches like the vac-pan make it just perfect for us. The washer and dryer perform perfectly. AAAHHH, all the comforts of home, and that is just what it is.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #28
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sure, but what was your financial advisors point? (insert lol here)

We bought ours new, because we expected to keep it until we wore the thing out, a long time. Ten years gone, maybe another ten to go. So in that vein I think we are maximizing and getting the best deal at the least loss per year.

That is the way we counted our beans.

It all depends in what you are investing in and our MH is our investment in our quality of life. We have a vacation home on the sea shore, in the mountains, at the beach, by a lake, by a river, in the desert, close to our grandchildren and children (Ohio and California), close to whatever whenever.

I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote