Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #267

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
to each there own and thanks to all veterans for keeping are freedom.but for us we bought new. after doing the tent, pop up,tt,pickup camper we bought a 05 gulf stream endura had it 6 years loved it but wanted a bunk for are daughter. so start looking at used but being 56 bought new fig last one we have to buy hopefully.
2015 35e fleetwood excursion bob,linda & missy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #268

MY idea is to always buy second hand homes, rv's, boats and cars. By the time the car, rv, boat is two or three years old the origional purchaser has already gone through the angina of all the problems of new items. The little and big things that are always present. Then I get it much cheaper and it is probably perfect.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #269

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Well if we didn't have the people buying new us that buy used wouldn't have anything to look for.
Amen, I love that people buy new, the more the better, gives me a much better selection when I am ready to move up a few years.

Boats same way, my boat listed at 118,000 new, bought it from original owner at 6 years old, 235 hours, rack stored, never left in water, for 31,000. SO GLAD he bought it and hardly used it.

My motorhome same way!
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #270

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The KEY word is YOU ...... You can buy what YOU want for now. I hope that never changes . I love the looks of these new RVs with all the chrome .. I like the older rigs and admire the work the people that have them making them nice rides forever! I like mine it's old but so am I , the first owner took very good care of it and put about all the add ons you can put on one on it. Never fails when we go out in it I'll go somewhere and come back and a couple of guys will be looking it over !! I'm happy with mine and hope full YOU are with yours !
Old 02-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #271

Winnebago Owners Club
We all need each other.

If it were not for the folks who buy new the folks who buy used would have no source of newer coaches.

It it were not for the folks who buy used the folks who bought new would have to keep their coaches forever.

Thanks both of you.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #272

Fleetwood Owners Club
We made the decision to buy new after looking at many used units, my dw has an allergy to dogs, the dander causes athsma type symtoms within minutes of entering a home or motorhome. Private sellers were less than honest as to weather they owned a dog, even after being told of my dw's allergys. Dealers of course, new nothing of used units.We could not take a chance of buying used. For me, knowing every detail of how our mh is treated and maintained since new, is worth every single penny. As for my dear wife, she breathes better knowing all is clean inside our unit. [That is after we cleaned up all the construction debris]......................

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #273

Winnebago Owners Club
There have been lots of points of view with compelling reasons on both sides of the question. Great debate. Most have kept emotion out of the argument. Well done.

There will never be a final answer as everyone is so individual and have their personal standards and values.

I was thinking about this and decided that buying a coach new or used may be somewhat like buying clothes. You can buy new from whatever store you want or go to Value Village or Good Will and buy used. No matter what path you take you will pick the clothes that suit your style and fit but mostly you can walk down the street without fear of getting arrested for indecent exposure.

Same with a coach. New or used they are used for the same purpose.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #274

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I had it to do over, I would most certainly go the used route. I could have gotten an RV that would have served just as well for about half the price I paid new.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #275

Buying new vs used

Darned right I 'm happy I bought new as I got all the options, warrantee, no one else's problems, etc and it was cheaper than a used 2-3 yr old unit.

Amazing how many people compare list price of a new unit to so called depreciated price used unit. Sure if you want a 6 year plus old coach you might save a few $$ if you like CRT TV's, dusty rose or blue colour schemes, brass fixtures, tires that need replacing etc go for it.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #276

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Darned right I 'm happy I bought new as I got all the options, warrantee, no one else's problems, etc and it was cheaper than a used 2-3 yr old unit.

Amazing how many people compare list price of a new unit to so called depreciated price used unit. Sure if you want a 6 year plus old coach you might save a few $$ if you like CRT TV's, dusty rose or blue colour schemes, brass fixtures, tires that need replacing etc go for it.
Ditto! We bought new for less than a 2-3 yr used MH and got exactly what we wanted. It was a no brainier for us.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #277

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post

I don't think most people are comparing used RV's to the MSRP of new rigs. Most people understand that the new ones can be had for 25-30% off MSRP. I used 30% off MSRP as a benchmark.

None of that is really important. What was important to me is that I would have to look for an RV that is about 3 tiers, a lot of engine, towing capacity, and a lot of luxuries down the line, to get in at the same price point. BTW, my 8YO rig has LED TV's. Not to mention that fact that I love my pre DPF/DEF Cummins ISM, which is no longer available.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #278

American Coach Owners Club
well to me, if you analyze everything in your life financially...you might as well shop at Goodwill, and get your groceries from the food bank. I think we all agree big toys like Rv's, boats, planes, Atv's are NOT investments. So, it boils down to how much disposable income you are willing to spend for the entertainment/enjoyment value of your RV. We bought new for many of the reasons already given.....We looked at our finances, and decided we have X amount to spend on our enjoyment. Some people will buy used, and maybe they want to spend their other disposable income on fancy jewelry, cloths....or top end cigars!! Its all a personal choice we make, and hopefully everyone is happy with the decision they made!! We are
Old 03-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #279

We just purchased our second new motorhome. Actually we didn't lose that much money on the first unit. Plus to be honest we didn't want a used rv that had a used black tank or plumbing etc... That could really be nasty. Plus if you want new mattresses etc. you are going to spend a fair amount upfront. We really like being the first owner and feel it is well worth the money to go new. But we understand why some like to buy used. To each his own.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #280

Nothing like knowing the fecal matter in the black tank is family. eh?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote