Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #281

Pretty much what I was thinking too. Must be problematic never using facilities anywhere but home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #282

Why not...I'll jump in. I have several times thought of changing from our 26' TT to a Class A. So, have several times looked at the costs to do so and the "New vs. Used" has no doubt come in to play. First, to look at MH's that are 2-4 years old you might as well look at New. What I find is folks purchase these things use and or abuse them and then decided to sell them. but they then look at their loan ballance and say.... What...

The industry has over the past 10 years gone to 15 or 20 year loans to keep the payments down, they load up the motorhome with all the gadgets, add Sales Tax and Registration to the price and all of a sudden they are in to the unit deep... Now they go to sell the unit 3 to 4 years down the road and either they walk away from their loans, pay big time to get out of them or just keep them.

Crazy as it seems the difference in a heavily discounted new MH isn't really that far off of a used 3 -4 year old unit... Folks always use the "MSRP" price to compare when we all know the starting point for a new MH is 25-30% off that price! So, when you start to put it down on paper, your really not that far off from a Brand new, with full factory warranty unit... Heck the cost of adding an extended warranty to a used coach could be the difference in reality..

I'm not pushing either, just from what I see. Sure, 10 year old MH's are less, what I am seeing there isn't many available I'd buy.... you would probably need, New Tires, New Batteries, Full Service, and what ever else needs to be fixed and you would still have a 10 year old unit!

Furthermore, folks that need financing I believe New is less ... but I may be wrong.

I'd like to see some current example of good deal 2-3 year old 32' units for sale that are at a great price... looking at RVtrader.com there isn't a bunch of units for sale that offer a great discount today..

But, then again if were talking a $500,000 coach vs $250,000 used 5 years old one may make the case to go for it.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #283

Winnebago Owners Club
I am sure it isn't a good investing . But I have many bad ones in the past , have got used to it how it feels . ( cars boats trucks vacation trips etc.) LoL
Old 03-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #284

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very, very few people would take care of a motorhome the way I take care of my (bought new) motorhome. I know it inside and out and treat it well. Im not saying I'd never buy used but it would have to be coach that I had personal knowledge of and was comfortable that the previous owner(s) knew what they were doing and kept up the maintenance.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #285
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Very, very few people would take care of a motorhome the way I take care of my (bought new) motorhome. I know it inside and out and treat it well. Im not saying I'd never buy used but it would have to be coach that I had personal knowledge of and was comfortable that the previous owner(s) knew what they were doing and kept up the maintenance.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post

The strange thing is every single motorhome or RV owner I've ever come across says the same thing you do. "Nobody maintain the unit like I do,"

So where do all these abused units come from it nobody does it?
Old 03-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #287

Winnebago Owners Club
No abused units?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
The strange thing is every single motorhome or RV owner I've ever come across says the same thing you do. "Nobody maintain the unit like I do,"

Not sure what "nobody maintain it like I do" means. We all have different standards of how we do things. You can ask three people how to do something and get 5 answers.

Regarding the abused units. There are two answers:
1) There are a number of posters on this forum who have said they had the coach from hell which they dumped the unit back on the market.

2) There are not many folks who would post that they had trashed the unit and then sold it to some unsuspecting buyer. Although I would bet money that units have been sold by sellers who know and did not disclose serious flaws in their unit.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #288

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The previous owner of mine not only took good care of it and kept records of what was done to it I've got all the receipts and what he paid for it... He added almost every upgrade or add on to it you could think of...... Paint all looks new... I serviced it had a set of tires put on it and it drives like a Town car ... Is it better than a new one No and yes some. Mine is a 32 Monaco Dynasty 5.9 3020 Alison 6speed with less than 70,000 miles on it, I had a buddy at the Kenworth place check it all out and said it was good for 200,000 miles LOL ..... got 12 MPG on the 130 gal tank .. I like it and THANK the First owner !
Old 03-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Not sure what "nobody maintain it like I do" means. We all have different standards of how we do things. You can ask three people how to do something and get 5 answers.

Regarding the abused units. There are two answers:
1) There are a number of posters on this forum who have said they had the coach from hell which they dumped the unit back on the market.

2) There are not many folks who would post that they had trashed the unit and then sold it to some unsuspecting buyer. Although I would bet money that units have been sold by sellers who know and did not disclose serious flaws in their unit.

Two words, "due diligence".

I'm pretty sure anyone who's had an RV more than a year could spot a trashed unit in 5 minutes or less.

If they don't spend 5 minutes looking, can't be bothered to find / hire someone to do it for them, or just doesn't care and takes the word of the seller / salesman and buys it anyways, they deserve owning a piece of junk IMHO.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #290

Quote:

You forgot ....no pets and never smoked in
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #291

Ford Super Duty Owner
After 6 used rvs we are enjoying our first new one in retirement. Good warranties and no worries were more important beginning retirement. We think we did pretty well with the purchase. Compared to sleeping in a motel and dinning out, our rv is a good investment. We have waited 37 years to be free to camp as ma y nights as we want. Year one in the new coach we slept 50 nights. We purchased a smaller class C not a huge coach.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #292

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Two words, "due diligence".

I'm pretty sure anyone who's had an RV more than a year could spot a trashed unit in 5 minutes or less.

If they don't spend 5 minutes looking, can't be bothered to find / hire someone to do it for them, or just doesn't care and takes the word of the seller / salesman and buys it anyways, they deserve owning a piece of junk IMHO.
"due diligence" does not ensure you will get the perfect coach. It will mean you have taken steps to reasonably ensure you did not get one with discoverable problems.

If a used coach came with a 100% warranty at no extra cost covering the entire unit you may be close.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #293

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Lemons are built in the same factory as the good rigs..... good luck finding out weather you got a good one before the warranty runs out are not..
Old 03-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
"due diligence" does not ensure you will get the perfect coach. It will mean you have taken steps to reasonably ensure you did not get one with discoverable problems.

If a used coach came with a 100% warranty at no extra cost covering the entire unit you may be close.

Because we all know there's never any issues with new coaches, you get a perfect coach every time.

An RV tech who knows what they're doing costs about $100 / hour. It might take them a second hour to give a coach a real good look over. Ditto a knowledgeable mechanic. So for under $500 you know what you're looking at buying.

As for warranty, even if you wanted to they're out there, numerous companies offer them. But with just a mere fraction of the savings you could do a LOT of repairs, and at any place YOU choose, not who the manufacturer TELLS you take it to.