Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2012, 03:12 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
What depreciation? Depreciation comes into play only if one sells a depreciating asset before the use value of the asset is more than the price it is being sold for. ... For me, there is no depreciation.
There isn't any depreciation for me either... because I let someone else pay it.

As others have noted, the price the unit can be resold for doesn't matter. All that matters is that you're paying 20-40% more than you have to, or that you are receiving 20-40% less features/capabilities than you can afford.

I also don't understand the argument that you are buying someone else's problems as more often than not a recent/clean used unit will have had all the bugs taken care of whereas a new unit is a complete unknown and every bit as much a potential disaster as used, 'warranty' or not. Same with condition... it's not difficult to find used units that are hard to tell from new, or have very little wear. About the only rationale that really holds water as far as I can see is the ease of simply walking in and buying what you want, and that is indeed easier than searching for the right used model... but if you do make the effort you will be paid very handsomely for your time.

And as always, if money simply doesn't matter then forget all of the above.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #58

Motor homes and boats are not great investments for financial gain. But the fun and enjoyment of owning them is priceless! Matters not weather you buy new or used, its all about fun and making memorys. What's really sad is the number of rvs I see setting around, in the same spot for years and years. Just rotting away and going to waste. My inlaws were snowbirds for about ten years, and traveled from all over old Mexico, the states and Canada, and into Alaska. His wife became ill about 5 years ago and is in a rest home. Their rig has not moved since. My brother, lost his high school sweetheart of 51 years last January. Him and his little dog went to South Fork for 2 months in the summer, then they came to Kansas for a month to visit siblings and friends. He says its not the same without her, but life goes on.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
We all do things for enjoyment that can have a premium cost associated with it. We can buy new clothes or we could buy used clothes in a thrift store. We could go to a movie theater or watch it at home on TV. We could go on a vacation or use our free time at home with friends and family. We can drive a car or take public transportation. Just about anything we do has a premium cost to it if we want to do it in a significantly improved (one might say) way of life. I think there are a lot of good qualified used products or economical services in any category. Taking the time to buy anything smart just so long as it satisfies our needs is the rewards we should reap in our lives. I believe in saving for a rainy day but tomorrow we could unable to enjoy what we so longed for. I personally get a thrill and accomplishment feeling from buying new. Sometimes that new car smell (or new MH smell in this case) is just what the doctor ordered.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by david2499 View Post
It's like the STOCK market you don't lose until you sell !
X2-- buy new and enjoy life!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
What depreciation? Depreciation comes into play only if one sells a depreciating asset before the use value of the asset is more than the price it is being sold for. For me, I keep my stuff until it literally falls apart and drops dead. By that time the value I have received from using the asset far exceeds the $ value I get for selling the carcass. I can tell you some stories about using something until it drops dead as one parks at the dealer showroom that would have you LOL.

For me, there is no depreciation.

You sir have stated it very well. There is no real money lost to you the buyer unless you sell your asset early.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The name of the game is to try to get the amount off the MSRP that you would lose during the first few years depreciation. If it's a $300k coach and you get it for $200k and the first few years depriciation is $100k, you are even...and have a new coach.

The other side of the coin is that most new MHs are FULL of problems, some minor, some major.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The name of the game is to try to get the amount off the MSRP that you would lose during the first few years depreciation. If it's a $300k coach and you get it for $200k and the first few years depriciation is $100k, you are even...and have a new coach.
Unless everyone else got it for 30% off of MSRP like you, which isn't uncommon.

Looking at the last several posts it seems that many are still missing the point some of us are trying to make. The idea that 'depreciation doesn't matter because I'm not going to sell it' or' I got a good price' or whatever is beside the point. The only thing that matters is what you spend and what you get for it. In the case above the only pertinent concern is what you can get on the market for the $200k you have to spend. If you can get a like-new used coach of a higher grade for the same expenditure then you could have gotten more for your money. Or if you could get a similar coach for $50,000 less then you just spent $50,000 for... I'm not sure what... because as you correctly noted a new unit is no guarantee of no problems and a de-bugged used unit may actually give you less grief.

I'm not criticizing anyone who wants to buy new (someone has to do it), and if one wants to buy new just because they want to and for no other reason then that's fine, in fact that's probably the most honest justification there is. But given the number of excellent units available in the RV market just about every other reason for buying new is a rationalization. So while 'screw it, I just want it' may or may not be the best reason in the world it at least it acknowledges that the buyer knows that they are in fact paying for depreciation, whether or not it is immediately obvious.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
We bought new cause we could not find what we wanted in a floorplan used, with the amenities we wanted. I really don't think anyone should have to justify with a reason for wanting to buy new.
We worked hard all our lives to enjoy some of our retirement, and pesronally I really don't care is someone else buys new or used. If we we're that concerned about the money we wouldn't even consider buying a Class A period.

Would we have boughten used if we found something we liked, who know's if we found the right unit maybe, but we're happy with decision we made and the direction we;re going.

I do know one thing when I spending my last few days on earth I highly doubt I sit there regretting our decision to buy a new Class A
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #65

Just want to be clear that no one is saying that anyone has to justify anything, or that there's anything wrong in simply doing what you want to do for whatever your reason. Life is to enjoy. The only thing point I was trying to make is that no one can ever really escape depreciation on this type of purchase, and nothing more.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Just want to be clear that no one is saying that anyone has to justify anything, or that there's anything wrong in simply doing what you want to do for whatever your reason. Life is to enjoy. The only thing point I was trying to make is that no one can ever really escape depreciation on this type of purchase, and nothing more.
Now that I can sure agree with.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #67

New or newer MH's will have LCD TV's, a lot less crappy carpet, be wired for digital TV etc. My DW and I looked at MH's in our 100 to 125k budget - these were 2005 to 2007 DP which still had tube TV's and worn out couches. Seems 2008 is the beginning of the LCD TV's and less carpet for the MH industry. But a good 2008 DP still costs 135 to 150k
Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #68

In 08 we bought an 06 42" Travel Supreme for 154k. Used it two years, 26k miles with ZERO issues and sold it after two years for 155K, made a grand

Late 2010 bought a new 2011 Entegra Cornerstone with plans on keeping it. It turns out to have more problems than I am willing to deal with, even after having it back at the factory for the second time and it's almost out of warranty. To sell it now will cost at least 100k for 2 years of use, that's getting it new at 25% off msrp. Lesson learned.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
In 08 we bought an 06 42" Travel Supreme for 154k. Used it two years, 26k miles with ZERO issues and sold it after two years for 155K, made a grand

Late 2010 bought a new 2011 Entegra Cornerstone with plans on keeping it. It turns out to have more problems than I am willing to deal with, even after having it back at the factory for the second time and it's almost out of warranty. To sell it now will cost at least 100k for 2 years of use, that's getting it new at 25% off msrp. Lesson learned.
Bullheaded I gotta say that you have had about as good as luck as one could hope for with your Travel Supreme.

Unfortunately your luck has gone to the other end of the spectrum and got about as bad one would not hope for with the Cornerstone. Was just reading about some of your issues on the Entegra post
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
New or newer MH's will have LCD TV's, a lot less crappy carpet, be wired for digital TV etc. My DW and I looked at MH's in our 100 to 125k budget - these were 2005 to 2007 DP which still had tube TV's and worn out couches. Seems 2008 is the beginning of the LCD TV's and less carpet for the MH industry. But a good 2008 DP still costs 135 to 150k
those items can be easily replaced. Flooring, furniture, and televisions are some of the easiest items to replace.