Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #71

Disclaimer: This is for a class C so not nearly the same dollars involved as for a DP. But we're younger, with kids, & use it mostly on weekends, so it works for us...

This is certainly a "to each their own" kind of thing.

We started by looking used but couldn't find what we wanted (layout, features, condition, etc) at the price we were willing to pay.

After a year, we started looking new. Bought new. Got the layout we wanted, features we wanted (Azdel walls as an example which should help prevent delam which should help on resale), condition we wanted, plus a warranty (DW isn't totally comfortable when I do it myself!).

Honestly, the price difference between new & a few years old wasn't a huge sum. It started to get more meaningful around 5 years old but then you need 6 new tires pretty soon which eats into the difference.

Did some things that should help a little on the depreciation side. Bought at RVDirect so got a good price. Didn't finance so saved the interest dollars.

I took a stab at what I think it will be worth when we are ready to sell it, subtracted that from the purchase price, divided by the number of years, & we were comfortable with the hit per year given the enjoyment factor.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
There isn't any depreciation for me either... because I let someone else pay it.

As others have noted, the price the unit can be resold for doesn't matter. All that matters is that you're paying 20-40% more than you have to, or that you are receiving 20-40% less features/capabilities than you can afford.

I also don't understand the argument that you are buying someone else's problems as more often than not a recent/clean used unit will have had all the bugs taken care of whereas a new unit is a complete unknown and every bit as much a potential disaster as used, 'warranty' or not. Same with condition... it's not difficult to find used units that are hard to tell from new, or have very little wear. About the only rationale that really holds water as far as I can see is the ease of simply walking in and buying what you want, and that is indeed easier than searching for the right used model... but if you do make the effort you will be paid very handsomely for your time.

And as always, if money simply doesn't matter then forget all of the above.
Your absolutely right......buying a so called " used " coach can be an often is as good if not better than new. We bought a 2010 Winnebago Adventurer 35p which was in a lot with 2012 coaches and I could not tell any difference between the new and used, except the 2010 had some things done that I would have had to do......more over, all recalls were completed, and with the records the previous owner had, I would have never known he had already changed over to synthetic oil. The saving over new was almost 60 k.......I will take that deal anytime.
This is our 3rd coach and we finally found one that has a floorplan that is second to none.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #73

Foretravel Owners Club
Anyone buying a RV with the idea of using it then selling for a profit, double wow !!Dixie
Me, I bought the coach I wanted, (Foretravel 36' with Cummins ISM500), paid the money, cash, out the door, have had it for 4 yrs, and spent money on changing some items, add some, am the happiest clown around. Take it to the factory for service and never have had ANY issues, why I smile alot.
THE old saying is still correct, you get what you pay for IF your lucky.
Dave
Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #74

Yep. An RV is not an investment.
I saved money and made it grow (investing).
Now I spend it however I want during my golden years (divesting).
If I had not done the former, the latter would not be possible.
I bought new, 43% off MSRP. Few problems. I'm just plain happy!
Happy trails folks!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
I took a stab at what I think it will be worth when we are ready to sell it, subtracted that from the purchase price, divided by the number of years, & we were comfortable with the hit per year given the enjoyment factor.
Exactly right! The Enjoyment Factor is the most important cell on the spreadsheet.

In looking at new and used DPs, collecting as much information as possible and filling in the rest of the spreadsheet, I have come to the conclusion that owning a fairly recent model DP is very much like buying a ticket on a cruise ship. You must be prepared to get all the enjoyment you can out of it from the moment you leave the dock (hand over the check). If it sits in storage, then you are effectively buying the ticket, but letting the ship sail without you.

I was quite surprised by the monthly fixed cost of owning a DP, even aside from the $300 to $1400+ in simple depreciation. For example, $40 per month in tires whether you start the engine or not, $30 in air conditioners, $20 in oil, $80 insurance, etc.

Don't let the ship sail without you! Enjoy it while you can.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #76

So very pleased that most would not like RVing!!!

If too many did it, the housing market would crumble, park rates would rise, and the country would be mostly RV parks.

My thanks to the S&B folks.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #77

We would buy new if we could afford it...which means paying cash. The money we have is from a lifetime of spending less than earnings...and earning interest rather than paying it. Quite a novel idea, though not too popular in recent years. Hopefully our money will all be gone before we die. This should not be a problem with the help of our government.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 AM   #78

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
We would buy new if we could afford it...which means paying cash. The money we have is from a lifetime of spending less than earnings...and earning interest rather than paying it. Quite a novel idea, though not too popular in recent years. Hopefully our money will all be gone before we die. This should not be a problem with the help of our government.
I feel that borrowing money and paying interest is rather dumb, why not pay cash for what you purchase, maybe if you can not pay cash, you can not afford it?
I have not payed any interest in over 30 years to anyone, just cash deals.
Then some have to have what they want, not what they can afford, I can not afford the interest payment.
Use credit card for most everything I purchase and pay the monthly bill as soon as it arrives, no interest. Works for me.
Guess why I have to pay tax twice a week. The government has proven how stupid borrowing money is, called spread the wealth or spread the debt.
Free everything for the wannabees, some poor slob gotta pay for it.
End of rant
Dave
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
I feel that borrowing money and paying interest is rather dumb, why not pay cash for what you purchase, maybe if you can not pay cash, you can not afford it?

Dave
It's good that philosophy works for you, but others might choose another path (ie... leaving their cash invested while deducting the interest on their MH) and IMO that doesn't make them "dumb".

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #80

Foretravel Owners Club
RickO, I agree, Dumb, a poor choice of wording, considering most folks have millions invested and would not dare take any money out to buy an econo RV, to they finance it instead. If your happy, I'm shickeled titless.
Dave
Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #81
Cat

Yes,No,Yes,No,maybe, Yes,I think so. Yes:-)
Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #82

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When it's sitting in the backyard for the winter, there are times when I wonder why I bought new.
But come summer oh yea in glad I bought new
Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #83

After spending my entire career in the financial industry, I can honestly say that everyone's financial situation is different and requires a different approach. What works for one may be a big mistake for someone else based upon where their money is held and in which type of financial vehicle. There is no cookie cutter approach to spending or saving your money, just what's right for you given where you are financially.
ChileRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #84

We bought new because it is the last one we will buy and I expect it to last as long as I want to be driving it. I just need to use it more!!! Will be retiring in four years and hope to have it payed for by then.

Mark

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote