Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M
They are beautiful, shiny, state of the art machines, and New. However my financial advisor keeps telling me, there is absolutely no worse investment than buying a new RV.

But there is more to life than money right? (Well, maybe not if you're a financial advisor.)

Anyway, if you signed the paper and drove off the lot in your shiny new dream RV, while your net worth took a plunge, please let us know whether, looking back at it:

Was buying the new RV worth the depreciation, and why?

James
Back to the OP. we bought new because we couldn't find a used one that didn't smell really bad and/or need so much work or updating that the money we would saved buying used wouldn't have to be spent fixing it. And after all of that, we'd still have an old RV. That said, it's impossible to know if the depreciation is worth it until you sell it and take the loss. We'll get back to you then. As for now, we're happy with our decision.

ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #100

I've done both. I've only purchased two RVs. One was used and one was new. Both worked fine. My goal when I retire in three years is to have $xx.xx amount of cash. With that cash, I'll purchase a DP ... right now mostly interested in Entegra, AC, or Tiffin, but we'll see as the time approaches. I don't think there's a right answer, but like the previous poster, it depends on what's available in the used RV market, what's your budget, and if you're willing to go into debt or simply want to pay cash.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
There is no one answer fits all, as seen by the variety of replies. How you use the coach can be a big factor in the decision.
In our case we plan to go fulltime for 10 years, floorplan and comforts become much more important to US than to say some using it for weekends and a couple of weeks a year.

As long as I was working and needed a truck, it was simple a TT or 5th wheel was more than adequate

If we we''re buying for snowbirding and a little use in the summer, l doubt I could justify buying new to myself.

But I can buy new to go fulltime and really get what we want

This is just one scenario, and changes from person to person. There is no right or wrong answers to this, you just have to do what is right for you
Traps90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #102

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
no worse investment than buying a new RV
In my opinion it's the same for a good used one too!, especially if you don't use it! I will no longer purchase a new car either unless the deal is to good to be true, and you know how that goes!
As someone else posted here about lining their coffin with $100. bills, well they're not going to do that for me either.
Bottom line here is if this is what you want and can afford it then go for it, enjoy it and don't look back.

Our first coach was a used Bounder and I didn't pay a lot of money for it, served us well but we felt we outgrew it. We then purchased our current one which was more of an investment, bad investment? The only way I'll get my money from it is by using it and enjoying it. The only thing is I wish is that I would have done this when my kids were younger!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake62 View Post
Well if you could buy a '14 Anthem I would buy it in '15. Just an initial offer
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
I have very little trust for salesmen, dealers, realitors, bankers and most investment brokers.

Now that leaves me to do my own planing for all the above, meaning retirement, taxes, money for the DW after I am gone. So far So good.

I do not plant money in cans in the back yard, have thought about it.
Being 71, and being a realist, I am not saving anything for the wifes next buffalo. As long as the dw keeps her money clear of him, she will be very fine for 30+ years, so I smile and spend alot of time in the Foretravel burning diesel fuel waiting for the undertaker.
Life is good
Dave
I'm with ya.
I never "deal". I make offers. They are usually accepted.
I adopted the "pay yourself first" philosophy long ago. In short, i stuffed my IRA. Then I invested wisely with low risk, no greed, and without a broker.
So, bought my rig and now to have fun.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #105

Tiffin Owners Club
LOL!
A few years ago someone got a nice depreciated Bounder. Then a few months ago, someone got a nice depreciated Discovery 40G. We sincerely hope they are enjoying them. We don't see an Anthem '14 in our immediate future. We are now enjoying an 2013 Itasca Ellipse 42GD. Who knows that may be available in the future!
Enjoyed your comment. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #106

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
So how did you acquire all this care-free money...or credit line...if you are one of the so-called fools? Inheritance? Lottery? Crime? Hard work?

I don't think for a moment that I am wiser for having what I have...only fortunate. My whole life I have been struggling just to get where I am and envy no person for what they have.

I find your post facetious and not at all humorous.
You are right on! It was a life of crime!
I've spent the last 40 years in the nefarious occupation of KILLING CANCER. A few years, when I didn't have a partner, I was on call 24-7-365. A life of crime can be pretty consuming, but with the help of my supportive and loving husband, we were able to raise seven children, two of whom likewise became involved in stalking and killing Cancer. Now that I am past my full retirement age and have some partners to share the load, I want to rv full time and foolishly waste all my retirement on stimulating the economy by buying a rig that will reward my husband for all his hard work and patience in herding seven active children, coaching their football teams, attending their sporting events, staying home with them when they were sick......
Yep, I will still be available to help in the gang warfare against that vicious crew, lymphoma, sarcoma, myeloma, adenocarcinoma, and squamous cancer trying to spread in breasts, lungs, prostates, bone and take over the whole body.
But this old criminal needs a little reprieve, rving down the road to help the Church of Christ Sojourners clean, paint, build, and whatever else needs to be done for children's homes, youth camps or where ever the Lord calls. We may leave behind some nicely used rvs for the wise people who waited, hoping they will enjoy them as we.
Sorry, you were offended, I'm tough against cancer but have a soft heart, particularly for my 40 years of cancer patients. I wouldn't hurt your feelings or sensitivity for anything. Life is too short, as well I know.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
You are right on! It was a life of crime!
I've spent the last 40 years in the nefarious occupation of KILLING CANCER. A few years, when I didn't have a partner, I was on call 24-7-365. A life of crime can be pretty consuming, but with the help of my supportive and loving husband, we were able to raise seven children, two of whom likewise became involved in stalking and killing Cancer. Now that I am past my full retirement age and have some partners to share the load, I want to rv full time and foolishly waste all my retirement on stimulating the economy by buying a rig that will reward my husband for all his hard work and patience in herding seven active children, coaching their football teams, attending their sporting events, staying home with them when they were sick......
Yep, I will still be available to help in the gang warfare against that vicious crew, lymphoma, sarcoma, myeloma, adenocarcinoma, and squamous cancer trying to spread in breasts, lungs, prostates, bone and take over the whole body.
But this old criminal needs a little reprieve, rving down the road to help the Church of Christ Sojourners clean, paint, build, and whatever else needs to be done for children's homes, youth camps or where ever the Lord calls. We may leave behind some nicely used rvs for the wise people who waited, hoping they will enjoy them as we.
Sorry, you were offended, I'm tough against cancer but have a soft heart, particularly for my 40 years of cancer patients. I wouldn't hurt your feelings or sensitivity for anything. Life is too short, as well I know.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #108

I grin in my sleep.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #109

I just wondering what's wrong with buying anything new, just take cars a nice American car will run aleast 40k foreign cars 50k and way up from there look around they are all around you.So what's the problem if someone pays a few hundred grand for a rv with beds and a *******. It's the new product buyers that keep the country going not the recyclers.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
Great reply Trekkers you have every right to enjoy the rewards of a lifetime of caring and service.
Traps90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #111

Trekkers
Very impressive life you have led. I congratulate you on all your accomplishments. Next time though, just say what you mean and quit trying to make a silly point by calling yourself a fool...otherwise I and possibly others will have no choice but to take your word for it. Peace.....
Old 12-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #112

I have my rig. We travel and see more things than most can even dream of.
And I have an automatic ice maker and dishwasher. She is about 5 foot 5....uh. Ooo. Owch.
Will add pic of my black eye later