Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #113

We are first time buyers and purchased new 2013 Monaco La Palma . My thoughts if you can afford it your crazy if you don't . Your not taking it with you . We plan on enjoying it and having no regrets . Good luck on your decision. We gave our kids blood ,sweat and tears and money. Now it's our turn ?
Ken
2013 Monaco Lapalma

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #114

We also went new in July of this year. Didn't get a DP as we just wanted to see if we still like rving. Like it so much I think a 14 Newmar DP may be in the works. Will have to order as we really know what we want now.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #115

Foretravel Owners Club
The issue I have seen, is when a couple retired, think they will love the RV full time mode, sell home to purchase some over priced RV, have savings, retirement maybe, Social Security etc, hit the road in a half paif for RV, and find within 3-6 months Momma wants to go home. WOW, that is gone, now they are faced with selling the RV maybe, moving into a rental something, and trying to survive on what is remaining. Value of the used coach is about half of what they paid for it, if lucky they can escape the loan contract with no or little cash. Have seen this happen, so sad.
Just my thoughts, and why the wife & I will never sell the homestead, as you never know what looms ahead. When I had enough RV, will sit on porch waiting for the end, smiling.
Just do what makes you happy & comfy.
Dave M
Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #116

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wasn't that big of deal for us. Lost about 10K in first three years on our new Damon Classic. If we upgrade to new DP - it sure won't be the same storey.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #117

I think jzick said it all back in reply #3. An RV is not an investment, for us it's an entertainment expense. We don't expect to get much back, we do expect to create memories; memories that are priceless.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #118

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah
I think jzick said it all back in reply #3. An RV is not an investment, for us it's an entertainment expense. We don't expect to get much back, we do expect to create memories; memories that are priceless.
Very true. we don't go to the movies and expect a return on the money we spent. Some people will wait until a movie has been out for awhile and see it at the dollar theater, others will pay top price and see it the day it comes out.
It's nice that we all have different strategies in life.

So no, I don't loose sleep over the depreciation, but I sure get a big smile and warm heart when I think about the good times we have had with our kids and grandkids in the Motorhome.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
X2!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We've had a slightly different experience than I expected. We bought a new, left over 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 4028 in 2005. We bought before we had the vacation time to really get into it, it was a bit too big for us as newbies, and and after a year we sold it. We definitely lost money on it, and big money, no question about it.

Fast forward six years later. DW on verge of retirement, my law practice at a point that I can pick and choose what I want to do and tell my boss (me) that after thinking about it, I've decided I'm going to be taking more time off -- a long discussion where DW and I realize we still love the idea of motor homing, retiring and getting back into another MH to tour the national parks -- and lots and lots of time spent on this and a few other RV Forums -- and we ended up with a new 2011 Newmar Ventana 3433 which had all the options we ever dreamed of, and in a size we thought we could handle.

And we have loved it!

So much so that we decided that we wanted more -- bigger engine, bigger coach, more amenities, tag axle.

Need? No. Want? You bet.

So we began a search around the country for the new coach -- which we decided would be a '13 Dutch Star 4018 -- and we found a deal that was far, far better than the coach we got rid of six years ago. Mainly because of our trade (but we also got 26.5% off the new one and that's nothing to sneeze at IMO). We definitely got significantly more on trade on the Ventana than we did on the '05 Dutch Star. Why? Not entirely sure. More and better options on the Ventana? Probably. "Trading up" and buying a much more expensive new coach? Probably, again.

So the normal shellacking you would expect -- and as the OP's financial wizard predicted -- did not happen to us, at least this time around.

That has been our experience.

For the most part, I think you do better on trade and minimizing depreciation when you buy quality right out of the gate. I have found this time and again on the non-essential things we all love -- cars, boats, motorcycles, RV's. If you decide to buy new and you buy quality -- a choice discussed extensively on this thread with well stated pros and cons both ways -- as a rule it seems that you do better at time of sale out of it.

But in the final analysis, I agree with all the comments which say that this is not a decision of logic or reason or value -- it is a decision based solely on the quality of life and the life style that it brings to you.

As we discovered with our Ventana purchase, we love the life style -- and we know that the miles since we have had the Ventana have brought memories that we will always treasure.

You cannot put a dollar sign on those memories. You can only enjoy them.

Happy Holidays to all!

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 - All Electric / 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit AWD / SMI Air Force One / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
X3

Sold house. Bought rv. Money left over. Travel anywhere. See everything and everybody. Enjoy every minute. Squandering the extra $. Living like royaly.
Can always buy/rent later, if required.
Yep! Not a business bottom line at all.
No fear. Just fun

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #122

Foretravel Owners Club
Hope it works that way for you CampDaven, just hope the DW does not get tired of it all and want to go home , that is when the you need a workable end game plan.
That very reason is why we, DW & I, keep the homestead and play the RV game, then come home for a touch of normal.
You gotta do what works for you. Amen
Merry Christmas
Dave M
Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
Hope it works that way for you CampDaven, just hope the DW does not get tired of it all and want to go home , that is when the you need a workable end game plan.
That very reason is why we, DW & I, keep the homestead and play the RV game, then come home for a touch of normal.
You gotta do what works for you. Amen
Merry Christmas
Dave M
Thanks Dave M
We know it will work. Going F/T has been a dream for 44 years. It is our normal now. Abnormal would be paying the taxes etc, which is now paying for our lifestyle and then some.
Merry Christmas!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
You gotta do what works for you.
Dave--I agree 100%. We are not full-timers and never will be. We love to travel...but we LOVE to come home.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #125

buying the RV

We decided that we liked the camping/travelling thing so much that selling the house & buying HOWie & the Beast was what worked for us. We love the freedom that we can move if we don't like the neighbourhood. At the moment we have been FTers for 1 1/2 yrs. No taxes, no nasty landlord (the CG owner here is awesome). We have been in this campground for over a year now & love it. Don't have to shovel the driveway, mow the grass. Can have a fire without the neighbours complaining about the smoke. It is wonderful to be able to do what we do. It works for us at the moment. We have both decided that when the time comes to get another S&B we will get a condo or apartment. Both of us do not want the upkeep of a yard anymore. If I get the urge to scratch in the dirt my sister has a whole yard I can play in. We will not use some of the things we initially put into HOWie (3 huge solar panels, 4 deep cycle marine batteries, inverter to make it all work) but we were planning for the future back then & things change. So be it. We are happy & that is a good thing. Cheerio
Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #126

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You buy a house, pay taxes on it for 30 years (That's money down a rat hole) and then fine it's not worth what you paid for it cause thanks to the economy the bottom fell out of the market.

You buy an RV, you pay taxes on it too (A very tiny fraction of what you paid on the house) plug it depereacates (About the same as the taxes on the house) and when you are done you sell it for a decent fraction of what you paid for it.

No, not, by definition a great investment.. Now days it competes well with a stick & Brick.

I can tell you of a lot worse things to invest in. I keep seeing ads on TV for life insurance including this new "Return of premium" where if you don't die they give you your money back.. Sounds great...

Take 10-25% of what they charge and buy TERM insurance. Invest the rest at a modest 10% return (you can do better but the risks go up) and when you get to the "Maturity" point.. You will have much more than what they return to you.

A good insurance agent can explain it.. I can too but alas, you have to be licensed to sell investments, and I'm not.