Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #1

Was buying your brand new RV worth the depreciation?

They are beautiful, shiny, state of the art machines, and New. However my financial advisor keeps telling me, there is absolutely no worse investment than buying a new RV.

But there is more to life than money right? (Well, maybe not if you're a financial advisor.)

Anyway, if you signed the paper and drove off the lot in your shiny new dream RV, while your net worth took a plunge, please let us know whether, looking back at it:

Was buying the new RV worth the depreciation, and why?

James
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #2

I look at it this way, as long as the appreciation of my RV is greater than the depreciation I'm good.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #3

For me it was. If I were going to invest, the last thing I would buy is a depreciating asset, like an rv. RV purchase money is, to us, spending money - we never expect it back. We also decided a few years ago that we would buy only new stuff whenever possible. We were frugal all our lives and for DW and I it is now time to reap the rewards of that frugality.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For us, we did look at some used units but they were priced almost as high as a new unit plus we did get the full factory warranty and did not have to get a unit with smoke or on that had pets inside it! This was important to us!

Heck, after all, its only money! We felt like we deserved a new motor home once in our lives!

burfurd
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
My philosophy:

You can't line your coffin with hundred dollar bills.

;-)
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The depreciation on a new RV is not worth it when there are a lot of hardly used 3 and 4 year old units on the market. But it is your money and make yourself happy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The depreciation on a new RV is not worth it when there are a lot of hardly used 3 and 4 year old units on the market. But it is your money and make yourself happy.

Ken
+1.

Like a new car, you drive it off the lot and you're down .... Where you get it back is use, actual use, and time in grade behind the wheel. Either/both are going to be 'low,' just rent one and be done with it.

fae
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Well worth it and it was not about the investment. Did not want to deal with some ones elses problems or dirt so worth it to me.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Absolutely. They didn't make a RV like I wanted so Rexhall took a 30' coach designed for a Ford 18K Gvw chassis and put it on a 22K Workhorse chassis lowered the roof 6" so OAH was 11'9 to fit in my garage, put a fuel injected Onan generator in and some other changes I wanted. Total cost was less than off a dealers lot. Still had teething problems with a new coach but they fix it all.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #10

Hey, it's a lifestyle. Just happens to cost money.

I was a financial manager. Depreciation, yes. Fun, satisfaction, sanity....big time!

Have fun now. You'll be dead a long time
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
An Rv is NOT AN INVESMENT! If you can find a used one that has the floorplan colors etc. that matches what you want and what the owner is asking is far below new cost then go for it!. Anyway you look at it an RV is an invesment in your happiness. You are spending YOUR MONEY ON YOURSELF! I never saw a hearse with a luggage rack so go for it and enjoy!

Dan
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
My philosophy:

You can't line your coffin with hundred dollar bills.

;-)
Well i guess one could if wanted LOL
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #13

The way I see it, you don't buy an RV as an investment, your financial advisor is absolutely correct in his/her assessment that's it a poor investment.

Back in 2000 we traded our 1st used coach in on a new one that we've now had for 12 years. We bought it to travel in and enjoy, not giving any consideration whatsoever to depreciation.

And yes, we've enjoyed it immensly and have never looked back and/or had any regrets in our decision to buy it.

If one has reservations or concerns about the depreciation of an RV then it's not wise to buy one.

Best regards,

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hard to buy a used MH the way my wife wanted it, new was the only way and Newmar was the only maker that could do the changes within our price range. Even then the upcharge for the upgrades and modification was $38,000 in 2002 $$.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote