Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #1

Washing my RV

I've not owned my RV long (bought late May, 2014) but I spent several years detailing my cars. Using that experience I decided to make a short video of my RV washing process and tools: Washing An RV. The password is "irv2".

The tools I used:

Two white 5 gallon buckets: Lowes, Home Depot, wherever

Two Grit Guards for buckets: Amazon.com: The Grit Guard Insert (Red) - Fits 12 inch Diameter Bucket: Automotive

Pole - Part of kit: Mop Kit - Internet Special With New Bug Buster Head (Not Shown) - Aero Cosmetics or Standalone: Deluxe Mop Pole - Aero Cosmetics. I bought the Waterless Wash Kit. Expensive, but worth every penny, IMO.

Karcher Electric Pressure Washer: Karcher K5.740 X Series 2000 PSI Electric-Cold Water Pressure Washer

Boars Hair Wash Brushes: General Info: Montana Original Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brushes Long: Montana Original Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brush PLUS Round: Montana Original 360° Boar’s Hair Car Wash Brush

Drying: I didn't show this, but I use an electric leaf blower to blow off the water: Toro Ultra 235 mph 390 CFM Electric Leaf Blower Vacuum-51609 at The Home Depot

I'm still working on my overall system, but I plan to water-wash my coach maybe 2-4 times a year, and then use the Wash Wax All waterless wash kit to clean it up for every trip and while at a campground. The bug scrubber seems to work well. The waterless wash system works surprising well for light dust. Easy and fast, and does not use water. I'm still working out the water/waterless processes, but I'm very happy so far.

I hope you find this useful. Comments and criticisms greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #2

I'm still hand washing mine and then drying it with a chamoi. If I do the roof it takes about me 4 hours. how often do you wash your roof. I'm curious about how you dry yours, is the original soap you use to foam it up something that doesn't waterspot or is it the water you are using. So far I have washed mine 5 times. I just got done waxing it for the first time. I washed a section at a time and then waxed it right away, that took me about 12 hours over several days. I used a straight carnuba wax(no cleaners) and it did a great job, no swirl marks, brilliant smooth shine...but I thought it was going to kill me (haha). What do you wax yours with.Thanks for sharing your video.

Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #3

WashWaxAll

Folks,

My method of wash/wax is presented for your feedback/comment:

First, I get the bugs off the front with a telescopic pole and soapy water after every drive; Takes about 15 minutes. Then the toughest part is done.

Only my front end and the lower 4 feet of the RV get substantially dirty.

I use the spray washwaxall to do the rest of the RV.

If the lower half is really dirty, I'll use soap/water to wash it off.

Cheers, JohnnyB
Old 09-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hints: To help with roof washing. Raise front end so water runs off back end. Tie rope or piece of stiff wire across top rear of ladder and run hose over it. That will keep hose from damaging sides of roof or side walls. Start at front and work your way back. Weight of hose hanging from ladder will pull it down as you work you way back. If you can find a good pocket hose use it - much easier to handle. If possible wash roof after a good rain - makes dirt a bit easier to get off.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I really like that pole.....Thanks for the video.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I really like that pole.....Thanks for the video.
I do as well. Thanks for sharing your info.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I'm still hand washing mine and then drying it with a chamoi. If I do the roof it takes about me 4 hours. how often do you wash your roof. I'm curious about how you dry yours, is the original soap you use to foam it up something that doesn't waterspot or is it the water you are using. So far I have washed mine 5 times. I just got done waxing it for the first time. I washed a section at a time and then waxed it right away, that took me about 12 hours over several days. I used a straight carnuba wax(no cleaners) and it did a great job, no swirl marks, brilliant smooth shine...but I thought it was going to kill me (haha). What do you wax yours with.Thanks for sharing your video.
Mike and Charlotte,

Hi. Since I just got the coach in late May, I've never washed the roof. That's one of the areas I'm trying to figure out. My electric pressure washer does not have a hose long enough and it's not reasonable to drag that up to the roof.

Regarding drying, I use the Toro leaf blower to blow off the water. Then use a waffle-weave microfiber towel to blot up the remaining drops. That's much faster then trying to dry it with a towel alone. We're fortunate in having very clean water in our area. Water spotting is a minor issue for us.

Regarding a chamois, I haven't used one of those in years. They WILL scratch the paint. Over time, you'll notice the paint getting a little dull from micro-scratches. To see these, wait until dark and shine a small (led) flashlight at an oblique angle on the paint. Look just out side of the brightest area and you'll see the scratches if they exist.

Regarding waxing, I use synthetic sealants instead of carnauba waxes. Carnauba waxes only last 30 to 60 days. Sealants can months to years. Carnauba looks great, but I don't have the energy to use them.

I've used a bunch of sealants on my cars, but currently I'm experimenting with CarPro HydrO2. You spray it on and immediately rinse it off with water. That's it... No buffing and wiping. It looks great and it's supposed to last 3-6 months. Here's a video showing the application:
Old 09-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
Folks,

My method of wash/wax is presented for your feedback/comment:

First, I get the bugs off the front with a telescopic pole and soapy water after every drive; Takes about 15 minutes. Then the toughest part is done.

Only my front end and the lower 4 feet of the RV get substantially dirty.

I use the spray washwaxall to do the rest of the RV.

If the lower half is really dirty, I'll use soap/water to wash it off.

Cheers, JohnnyB
JohnnyB,

Thanks. Good info. I'm still experimenting with this. I got the WashWaxAll bug buster. It seems to work well on the windshield.

For cleaning after a day's drive, I was hoping to use WashWaxAll for the rest of the coach too. I don't know if that will be feasible without scratching the paint. It may be necessary to carry the wash buckets and cleaning brushes showing in the video. I.e. soap and water, and no pressure washer.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Hints: To help with roof washing. Raise front end so water runs off back end. Tie rope or piece of stiff wire across top rear of ladder and run hose over it. That will keep hose from damaging sides of roof or side walls. Start at front and work your way back. Weight of hose hanging from ladder will pull it down as you work you way back. If you can find a good pocket hose use it - much easier to handle. If possible wash roof after a good rain - makes dirt a bit easier to get off.
Chuck and Suzie,

Thanks for the tips. A pocket hose would be great for carrying in the RV too.

When you clean the top, do you use soap? How do you apply it? From a bucket? Spray bottle?

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #10

Fred, and Rick and Lynda,

I love that pole! It's light, stiff, compact, and easy to use and store. And it can be used for all my water and waterless washing attachments. I'm open changing almost anything else about my washing process, but that pole's a keeper.

Regards

Dan.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_public View Post
Chuck and Suzie,

Thanks for the tips. A pocket hose would be great for carrying in the RV too.

When you clean the top, do you use soap? How do you apply it? From a bucket? Spray bottle?

Thanks,

Dan.
I do not use soap - water only and big brush. I try to wash roof twice a year and after four years I think it still looks pretty darn good. I used soap at first but found things a bit to slippery. BTW if your roof is slippery when you wash it - wear an old pair of cotton socks. Your feet will stick to the surface much better. Learned that trick from sailboat days.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #12
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Nice job Dan I wash mine the same way but I use the Spotless System just hook it up inline with your pressure washer and you don't have to dry it just rinse the soap off and you are done. Water on windows no problem just let them dry and no water spots. This can cut your washing time down to almost 1/2 it works for me.Spotless System is a vendor with irv2
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #13

Dan, thanks for the video - great stuff!

At the Forest River International Rally in Goshen this August we went to a demo of a new method of RV cleaning. It was a pricy solution (@ $200) but really looked good (it was waterless so you could even do this while you were camped!)

I sidebared with one of the guys and when he found out our 5er wasn't 100 yards from the demo, he grabbed some stuff to give me a hands on my unit demo. After seeing how EASY it was, I was sold! Here is a link to the complete starter kit on Amazon:

Amazon.com: RV Aircraft Waterless Wash Wax Mop Kit: Automotive

This video shows them washing a Aircraft versus a RV but what I like is the fact that the A/C it filthy and how easy the gunk comes off with this cleaning system
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...74649129,d.eXY

I have found that, after application, the gel surface of our 5er feels very slick. I have also noted that bugs do not seem to stick to the surface as readily as before we started using this product. Finally, the etension handle that comes with the kit is one of the best engineered handels I have used!

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
I do not use soap - water only and big brush. I try to wash roof twice a year and after four years I think it still looks pretty darn good. I used soap at first but found things a bit to slippery. BTW if your roof is slippery when you wash it - wear an old pair of cotton socks. Your feet will stick to the surface much better. Learned that trick from sailboat days.
Thanks for the great tips. I was worried waltzing around a slippery surface 12 feet in the air. No soap and cotton socks are now in my bag of roof-washing tricks.

Regards,

Dan.