Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For those that take a bucket on the roof to clean.....try just putting whatever soap you use in a dish soap bottle, or even one of the small 6" size ones. Put the soap in your pocket and skip carrying the bucket up. When you're ready to wash, just squirt a bead on the brush. It's good for about 8-10 of scrubbing.

I use Meguiars Gold Car Wash soap and buy it in a one gallon jug at Walmart. I just keep refilling an old Ivory dish soap bottle. I haven't used a bucket in years. Just squirt a bead on the brush, even when washing the rest of the coach. It's one less step and no bucket to drag around.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
For those that take a bucket on the roof to clean.....try just putting whatever soap you use in a dish soap bottle, or even one of the small 6" size ones. Put the soap in your pocket and skip carrying the bucket up. When you're ready to wash, just squirt a bead on the brush. It's good for about 8-10 of scrubbing.

I use Meguiars Gold Car Wash soap and buy it in a one gallon jug at Walmart. I just keep refilling an old Ivory dish soap bottle. I haven't used a bucket in years. Just squirt a bead on the brush, even when washing the rest of the coach. It's one less step and no bucket to drag around.

Yep, been doing the same. That way you're not dunking the wash brush into dirty water all the time.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #17

Don, do you have the Brite tek roof, and what kind of brush do you scrub it with, how often do you wash it...Thanks
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mike.....I live just down the street (about 300 yards as the crow flies) from Tom Lindstrom's lot. We have a concrete plant in an industrial area just down the road. The dirt/dust cover my roof after a couple of weeks. Even though no one sees it, I wash the roof about every third trip, which is about every two months.

I have the one piece fiberglass roof. I wash it with Meguiars Car Wash. I've waxed it once. I have waxed the painted edges where they roll over the edge of the roof and the caps a couple of times. I'm trying to build up a good layer of wax as I find the Newmar paint doesn't have the luster my Monaco did. I'm getting there though.....I tried a new Mothers paste wax I bought from an automotive paint store and it did a good job. The coach, which is about half black is finally looking better.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #19

I hadn't washed the roof in a couple of years so yesterday I power washed it and then moved it inside my shop building. I used simple green & dawn with the power washer. This morning I used dry wash & guard on the top and it came out looking pretty good. The roof had a gazillion little black spots that did not come off with the power washer. The dry wash took them off but it was a lot of work. I tried tar & bug remover, goof off, etc to remove those spots but dry wash seemed to work best but it did take a lot of rubbing. In a few days I may top it off with Rejex which seems to work well on the body.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob

Quote:
Nice shine - what wax or chemical do you use to get that shine?
I purchase a generic Carnauba liquid wax at our local auto parts store. They usually have it on the bargain bin table for $4.00 a bottle. Works just as well as the name brand wax for a third the price. I apply it with my electric buffer with a foam applicator bonnet. I initially washed the roof with "Bar Keepers friend" and "Dawn" dish soap. Took all those little black spots off that you had trouble with. Then picked a day that was cloudy outside and did the waxing. The sides of the RV stay much cleaner after a rain now since I did the roof. The sides are done with Zep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	73742  

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer
I am up on the roof of my Bounder often. You can certainly stand up there and wash it as needed.
Same here!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #22

Thanks Don, I am doing the same thing re washing the roof. We have had it for 6 months now and I've washed the roof 3 times. I thought maybe I was overdoing it. I just finished waxing the sides of the MH and all I have left are the top rails. I used meguires plain carnuba wax and it did a great job on the Newmar paint. I was at Tom's today having Mike replace a few warranty parts, Tom couldn't believe the shine and how smooth it was. I asked Tom about "Dutch Star Don" and he had great things to say about you. I told him you and I always put in a good word for him on IRV2. Thanks for the tips....Mike

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof