Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
Washing your RV while traveling

I like keeping my RV clean. When you arr traveling how do you accomplish that? I've seen "truck" car washes and wonder if that is a good way to having the coach washed.

Skipper Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Blue Beacon is a nationwide truck wash that is commonly used. Their website and app provide location details. Other truck washes will provide for RV's as well.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
Just watch your ref access door. When I had the nevercold I would turn off ref and cover inside of cover with aluminum foil.
Dave and Laura & two cats
02 Discovery with Accord toad
retired auto rv tech and teacher, wife rt nurse
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used a truck wash once. Never again.

Took out my refrigerator for 24 hours. They use some very high pressure hoses to blast the dirt off...and work it's way into your seams.

Some of them also use a very strong cleaning agent that's great for tractor trailers but not the nice paint jobs on motorhomes.

I use a bucket of water and do a sponge bath on mine as we travel. Good exercise after driving all day.

Some campgrounds will let you wash your rig but they are far and few in between.

There are also campgrounds that have a washing area but, again, they are rare.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I wash mine as we go. Often, campgrounds will let you wash if you pay a fee....usually $10.00. We did a six week trip from L.A. to Washington D.C. Several campgrounds along the way, especially back east where water isn't an issue, allow you to wash.

On the way home, our last stop for the night, there was a crew in the campground washing two other coaches. They washed mine for $40.00 and did the tires. It looked great for the last leg of the trip.

I also use a spray on, wipe off wax that cleans without water. Works well if the coach isn't really dirty.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
Many campgrounds allow you to wash your coach. I use a bucket, a lambs wool MIT on an extension pole, McGuire car wash, and a simple hose. For the windshield I need my ladder and use 0000 steel wool followed up by a glass cleaner and finally Rainx.
I do not use a power sprayer. I think the lambs wool does a better job and is safer for the coach.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Originally Posted by Skipper Tom View Post
I like keeping my RV clean. When you arr traveling how do you accomplish that? I've seen "truck" car washes and wonder if that is a good way to having the coach washed.
I've never gotten mine covered in mud - usually just the typical road grime, dust, etc... So, I just use a bucket and a couple towels to give her a spit bath (when on the road). I've tried a few different 'sponge on a stick' type products and nothing seems to work as well as a ladder, wet rag in one hand, and a microfiber towel in the other. I regularly rinse the wet rag in a bucket of plain water. Obviously, this takes some effort but goes fairly quickly (on my 34') - probably 15 minutes or so. My rig is pretty old so keeping her clean and shiny goes a long ways towards hiding her age (at least to my eye).
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use several types of Dry Wash & Wax's and Spray Detailers. Of course if its muddy (not yet) I would go to a self serv Car wash.
I also like driving a clean vehicle seems to ride better
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Blue Beacon for us. Or most campgrounds have a friend that washes in the park. Generally won't let us do it ourselves but will let their buddy. Ha
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
X3 for the bucket of hot water & mitts for a spit bath.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Skipper Tom,
When traveling, the sun, moon and stars need to line up before the coach gets cleaned. The weather in route and where I am going is usually the deciding factor. The CGs we stay at usually have a professional company that will wash, wax and detail the coach. When at based camp I do this myself. However, when on the road, I have better things to do with my time.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes I treat ourselves to a mobile wash and detail team. They will even do the inside of the slides if they are out. It's sort of expensive but hey, life is short.

puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #13
If its not to dirty I use the Swiffer floor cleaner pads, not the wet jet. Then follow up with a wet towel on the Swiffer head to remove any streaks. I have also used this on the bottom side of the awning to remove dust and dirt. I use both sides of the pad and it usually takes about 4 to 5 pads. I haven't noticed and problems with paint or graphics I do keep wax on the MH.
Mody n Domy
full timing it
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would never use one of the truck washes and am just too cheap to pay the mobile washing services! I just let mine go until I get home!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote