Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My waste valves are cable operated and are deep inside the mh. I just replaced the 1.5" valve due to seperation of the cable housing from the handle mounting adapter. The seperation was caused by the progressively harder operation of the valve itself. My 3" valve was replaced under warrenty about a year ago for the same problem
These valves are mounted at about a 30 degree angle and I suspect this is allowing goop to clog slide guide making it progressively harder to operate.
What preventative maintenance can I perform to reduce the amount of build-up in these valves? I don't look forward to having to pull them out every year or so to clean them.
I have reviewed the existing threads on this subject and don't recognize the answer I'm looking for.

Dale
04 LaPalma

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My waste valves are cable operated and are deep inside the mh. I just replaced the 1.5" valve due to seperation of the cable housing from the handle mounting adapter. The seperation was caused by the progressively harder operation of the valve itself. My 3" valve was replaced under warrenty about a year ago for the same problem
These valves are mounted at about a 30 degree angle and I suspect this is allowing goop to clog slide guide making it progressively harder to operate.
What preventative maintenance can I perform to reduce the amount of build-up in these valves? I don't look forward to having to pull them out every year or so to clean them.
I have reviewed the existing threads on this subject and don't recognize the answer I'm looking for.

Dale
04 LaPalma

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:39 AM   #3

To, ADJ;

Waste valves are tremendous when working, but stinky when not.

There are chemicals out there that have coconut oil in them and they have kept my waste valves in good working order on 4 different RV's.

I use 2 times the chemical that the direction call for, but you can never have too much of a GOOD, thing.

Another thing, like the toilet seals, all seals, valves ,work better, last longer when kept wet/moist, use enough anti-freeze when winterizing in tanks to get to valves.
A couple extra bucks, but sure beats working on sewer pipes.

Hope this info helps.

Aime==== AJBJRVERS
Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I just work the valve back and forth several times when it seems to be getting sticky. Usually frees it up for a little while. And I spritz some WD40 on the shaft, thogh that's only one piece of the problem.

I had a King of the Road fifth wheel years ago that was like yours - when the valve got sticky the long rod that connected handle to the valve would bend or the handle would break off. PITA! Some rigs seem to have more problems with this sort of thing than others - don't know why. I don't know of a cure either.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I started adding two cap fulls of Calgon liquid water softner to each tank, now that I have dumped two times the valves are smooth and easy to operate. The tanks empty much cleaner, one rinse of the black tank and its running clean water.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote