Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #1

Watch that step! Any hints for an outside step up?

Even though my Clarion has a low step I still have trouble, especially getting OUT of the cab. (I've had some surgery.)

I figured out that getting out backwards onto the skinny step works better because my toes grip better than my heels. I have actually tumbled out going out frontwards. there's also no handle to grip by the door and I haven't figured out where I could put one except maybe outside on the body behind the door.

I want to have a simple step I can throw out on a rope to make the step down a few inches higher. I was thinking of putting a rope on the simple folding step, but even a block would work. It needs to be thin enough to be able to be stowed behind the driver seat.

The previous owners supplied me with a 5 foot long aluminum ramp that does work to get you about 18" for the side door, but it's yuge.

Before you ask there isn't enough structure or height there to allow the install of an extendable step.

Have you come up with a simple solution?
1991 Clarion by Coachmen #143 (for sale)
2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2551
pilotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

Would an electric running board work? They are designed to store up underneath the van body, and extend when the door is opened.
Grab handles
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #3

I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind, but I just came up with the most genius solution (if I may say so myself) to a similar problem we have. Most places where we parked our class A, the last step was always a Lulu. I was looking at the aluminum steps but even on Amazon, almost 100 bucks was CRAZY expensive.

I was in an Aldi grocery store of all places. For $13 they had a plastic fitness stepper. It's perfect for us! We stow it directly behind the passenger seat on the floor and put a shoe bucket on top of it.its roughly the same dimensions as the steps. When camped, the first person out of the coach grabs it and drops it on the ground in front of the lowest of the retractable step.
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz View Post
I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind, but I just came up with the most genius solution (if I may say so myself) to a similar problem we have. Most places where we parked our class A, the last step was always a Lulu. I was looking at the aluminum steps but even on Amazon, almost 100 bucks was CRAZY expensive.

I was in an Aldi grocery store of all places. For $13 they had a plastic fitness stepper. It's perfect for us! We stow it directly behind the passenger seat on the floor and put a shoe bucket on top of it.its roughly the same dimensions as the steps. When camped, the first person out of the coach grabs it and drops it on the ground in front of the lowest of the retractable step.
Google their MH then look at an image, no retractable step for the doors for a B+.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #5

I made a simple platform step out of a scrap of 3/4 plywood and some 2x4. Cut two pieces of 2x4 and screw the small sides to the plywood ends so the 2x4's are oriented vertically. Tacked indoor/outdoor carpeting over that. That gives me about 4-1/2 inches of lift with a pretty stable platform. Mine is around 15x20 inches. If you want to put it out on a rope just drill a hole in one 2x4 so you can use the rope to flip it and position it as needed for the first time out.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take a look at this thread. It may give you an idea of something you could make/buy.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/a-ne...tx-419124.html
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I made a simple platform step out of a scrap of 3/4 plywood and some 2x4. Cut two pieces of 2x4 and screw the small sides to the plywood ends so the 2x4's are oriented vertically. Tacked indoor/outdoor carpeting over that. That gives me about 4-1/2 inches of lift with a pretty stable platform. Mine is around 15x20 inches. If you want to put it out on a rope just drill a hole in one 2x4 so you can use the rope to flip it and position it as needed for the first time out.
Thanks. I was just thinking about making something like that myself.

I just gotta resist the urge to over engineer it to be too big to stow easily.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:46 AM   #8

Mine rides in the stair well or face down on the floor at the top of the stairs. When it's in the face down position I need to be aware of the 2x4 legs pointing up but that is not a big deal.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We use a work out step. It has legs are such that they can be turn to vary the height of step for changing grades that you park on. Made of plastics it not heavy
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #10

Thanks to your suggestions, I did some searching I should have done before I posted this.

After browsing in a Gander Mountain store and seeing these I ordered a Stromberg Carlson S-150 step
that looks to be what I need. (About $30 cheaper than at CW, of course.)

I just gotta work on adding a rope so I can lower it from the cab.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotmike View Post
Thanks to your suggestions, I did some searching I should have done before I posted this.

After browsing in a Gander Mountain store and seeing these I ordered a Stromberg Carlson S-150 step
that looks to be what I need. (About $30 cheaper than at CW, of course.)

I just gotta work on adding a rope so I can lower it from the cab.

Thanks for the help!
Glad you found something that works
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #12

Mine broke after a year. Won’t even hold 200#. Leg broke off at welds, and base buckled. Get a 30$ stepper which has adjustable legs and much lighter.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #13

Instead of rope, maybe try one of those "grabber" things on a collapsible pole - it will let you position the step more accurately the first time.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
Instead of rope, maybe try one of those "grabber" things on a collapsible pole - it will let you position the step more accurately the first time.
I think I'll put the ropes on all four corners in an X crossover.

I just got it. The thing is heavy.