Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #1

Water Filtration Systems / Jack Pads

For those of you that have a whole house (rv) water filtration system, are you satisfied with it? Is it worth it? Or could you do without it? Currently, I use one of the replaceable inline filters, which works fine for me. But, I'm aware of the more elaborate systems and wanted to know if they're a bunch of hype or what ?

Also, on our last outing we stayed at a site, which was dirt. I noticed one of my jacks was slightly sunken into the ground. Do the jack pads really work, or would pieces of plywood do?
PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I took mine out and use it as an inline filter on the hose. It was too hard to service up under the cabinet by the pump. I have several replacement cartridges and use one every 6 months or so. I wouldn't be without one. Neither would you if you got a look at some of the cartridges I took out of it.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
KIX

If you're used to using an inline water filter and are happy with it then try a whole house 9" filter housing with a sediment filter.

Yes, the jack pads work but a couple of 12" x 12" pieces of 3/4" plywood stacked to make 1.5" think will work too. Paint them so they don't soak up water and rot
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
For Jack Pads we bought a 3/4 inch horse stall mat and cut it in the size squares we wanted and use them for under the jacks and to hold down the outside rug and for Thom to lay on while doing work under the RV or vehicle or ... lots of uses for us out of them.
RV Leveling Blocks Built for Indestructibility
Old 10-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #5

Commercial Member

We've been full-timing for over 10 years and had gone through a couple of sets of the typical yellow stacker blocks you see everywhere. After the last set cracked from use on soft ground, we started looking for something higher end. Bigfoot, Dica and Hosspads each have some advantages, but are ridiculously expensive (the large Bigfoot pads run $300+ for four! ). As a compromise between the low price of home-made blocks and these super-expensive ones, we picked up a set of four Utility Blocks (for about $70) which we've had for over 6 months now and we love them.

If you're interested, you can check out our video showing all the details about them:

The Best RV Leveling Blocks - YouTube

The company doesn't have very good distribution (they strictly sell factory-direct), so they were hard to find, but we included a link on where to find them in the YouTube video description.

Hope this helps in your search!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVgeeks View Post
We've been full-timing for over 10 years and had gone through a couple of sets of the typical yellow stacker blocks you see everywhere. After the last set cracked from use on soft ground, we started looking for something higher end. Bigfoot, Dica and Hosspads each have some advantages, but are ridiculously expensive (the large Bigfoot pads run $300+ for four! ). As a compromise between the low price of home-made blocks and these super-expensive ones, we picked up a set of four Utility Blocks (for about $70) which we've had for over 6 months now and we love them. If you're interested, you can check out our video showing all the details about them: The Best RV Leveling Blocks - YouTube The company doesn't have very good distribution (they strictly sell factory-direct), so they were hard to find, but we included a link on where to find them in the YouTube video description. Hope this helps in your search!

Thank you for the information!
PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Our teardrop is set up for serious boondocking and the water into the tank is all filtered and there are one to three different filters that will let me take water from a lake or stream and make it potable. The first filter used all of the time is a ceramic outer carbon inner that removes chlorine and some contaminants. The second filter is a carbon block which removes more contaminants and the third filer is a First Need filter that is NBC (nuclear biological chemical) that will take out everything down to virus. Water filters vary in what they will take out a good place to start RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Our teardrop is set up for serious boondocking and the water into the tank is all filtered and there are one to three different filters that will let me take water from a lake or stream and make it potable. The first filter used all of the time is a ceramic outer carbon inner that removes chlorine and some contaminants. The second filter is a carbon block which removes more contaminants and the third filer is a First Need filter that is NBC (nuclear biological chemical) that will take out everything down to virus. Water filters vary in what they will take out a good place to start RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

Wow! That is my first time seeing this in a RV.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #9

I strongly recommend some level of filtration for your water system. I have seen a lot of junk inside my old filters. They are not expensive and can be located almost anywhere in a convenient location, even on the outside. As far as pads are concerned, I have tried several options and found most lacking given the weight of my motorhome. The jack pads sometimes push through the asphalt in warm weather unless I use a pad with a larger footprint. I have made wood pads our of 2X10 scrap treated lumber and beefed them up with inlaid strips of similar wood. These strips are usually 1/2 X 1/2 inch strips glued into a corresponding dado at right angles to the wood grain. These blocks are practically indestructible and I have never cracked one of them. Cost is almost zero, just time. I painted them with latex paint and that was a mistake, as they tended to stick together if I stacked them. I'll use linseed oil if I ever have to make new ones or maybe no finish at all.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote