Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #1

My Atwood water heater lit by itsself on gas without any input from me tonight. I have even unplugged the connection from the board at the water heater, and it is lighting up as though it is supposed to be igniting. When it was pluggeg in, it did light the gas burner. What insight can you shed on this? The electric switch is off, and the switch to light the gas has not been touched, but is continues to light up as if it has been told to ignite. Help! thanks, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #2

My Atwood water heater lit by itsself on gas without any input from me tonight. I have even unplugged the connection from the board at the water heater, and it is lighting up as though it is supposed to be igniting. When it was pluggeg in, it did light the gas burner. What insight can you shed on this? The electric switch is off, and the switch to light the gas has not been touched, but is continues to light up as if it has been told to ignite. Help! thanks, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
Old 02-18-2007, 04:10 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Harvey, please include the make and model number of your water heater so we can correctly identify how this is possible. It sounds like you have a standing pilot model but I know that HR used electronic ignition water heaters. Could someone have changed the water heater out? If you have unplugged the power from the water heater I don't know how it could open the gas valve and ignite the fuel.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #4

Thanks Mike, This is an Atwood GCH10A-E2 which is a DSI . After it fired up last night on it's own, I unplugged the connection at the board on the heater. Our HR has a control in the bathroom which has the water pump switch, the water heater switch, and the tank level indicators. I took it off the wall, and it is a printed circuit board. My guess, at this point, is that some corrosion had formed between the solder points on the pc board. Right now, we are near the water at Port Isabel, TX, right across the bridge from South Padre Island. For a motorhome that is more accustomed to the desert air of Western Kansas, we are finding moisture related things we never dreamed of. I am leaving the ignitor board unplugged for a few more days just to prevent it from firing. Last night, the light on the switch did light again twice. Today I took a brush to the corrosion and cleaned things up a bit. I will post again to let everyone know if this was the fix or not. Worst case scenario will just mean a new control board/switch. HR has been great about having wiring with plug connectors that would make a replacement pretty simple. Thanks again, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
Old 02-19-2007, 03:34 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Harvey, the control board on the wall is not the DSI board for the water heater. It is located at the water heater on the outside. You may haev a wire that is shorting or the switch on the monitor is sorting out. All that is needed for the water heater to ignite is 12 volts to the DSI board ,the operating thermostat to read less than 130 degrees and the gas valve to be open. Keep us informed.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
A priest and an exorcism?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

What RVWizard says is right on (as usual - he's a pro).

I suspect that what you unplugged was perhaps the Emergency Cut Off (ECO) or thermostat connection and not the ignition circuit.

I wonder if the water heater LPG mode on/off switch has shorted out and thus always on? That would leave the DSI active and give the results you are seeing. Its easy enough to check if you remove the switch and test with a voltmeter with the switch in the Off position.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #8

The ignitor board for the water heater is outside on the heater. That is the plug I unplugged. I also know the other connections are there for the thermostat and eco are there. The circuit board inside my bathroom has two micro switches and the lights and buttons for viewing tank levels, fresh, gray, and black. The micro switches are soldered into the printed circuit board, and I believe that may have been where a short circuit was happening. Thanks to all for your replies. I was going to title the post "Water Heater is Possessed", so the exorcism was my first inclination also. HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
Old 02-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HarveyP:
&lt;snip&gt; I was going to title the post "Water Heater is Possessed", so the exorcism was my first inclination also. HarveyP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not a , it's a

Should we start a water heater cult?
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HarveyP:
&lt;snip&gt; I was going to title the post "Water Heater is Possessed", so the exorcism was my first inclination also. HarveyP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not a , it's a

Should we start a water heater cult? O Holy name of Atwood, guide us!

Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote