RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #1

Water heater rotten egg smell on the road

Iíve read the various posts on this forum and elsewhere and figure I have bacteria in my hot water tank. But hereís my conundrumÖ

Iím on day one of an eleven day trip. I have no idea how I can rain my HW tank and disinfect it when Iím at a campground. I doubt theyíll appreciate me draining 50 gallons at the campground. I figure tomorrow Iíll let it drain as I drive the next 275 miles, then fill it with the freshwater from the fresh tank that contains some chemicals to kill the bacteria and sludge. But I donít have the ability to fill it and drain it all at a campground.

Any ideas on a course of action?

phoeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #2

Are you sure your hw tank is 50 gallons? We had the rotten egg smell in 38 ft Newmar Mountainnaire. Our best solution was to turn off water heater and then run hot water until cold water came out and ran water until we could rotten egg smell was gone. Of course our gray water tank was open and draining into the sewer drain. It was the only method that worked for us. Good luck!

coloradogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Yeah, that's what I thought when I first read your post ...50 gallon water heater??? Most RV water heaters are in the 4 to 10 gallon range.

I think you can get away with draining the tank at a campground. If you think it will bother somebody, you can try to catch the water in a 5-gallon bucket (if you carry one) and throw it on their flower beds or somewhere.

I don't think you have to worry about "disinfecting" anything as it pertains to the water heater, just drain and use one of those plastic flushing tools that most of us carry --HERE at RVupgrades.com-- and spray into the drain hole. You'll be amazed at the crud that comes out. Run it until clear and I have to believe that it will get rid of any stagnant water and sediment that might be causing the smell.

However, if you think just draining and washing the crud out won't get rid of the smell (as I say, for me it usually will), you can use vinegar ...it's cheap and takes a few extra steps. The video below will show you how. Usually, if you drain and flush your tank yearly, you probably won't have to use vinegar but if you haven't done it in awhile, it may be a good idea to use it.

Again, the campground probably will not mind if you clean up the crud on the ground before you leave.

How To Flush & Clean an Atwood RV Water Heater
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:37 AM   #4

Turn it off, turn water off, remove plug, let drain, turn water back on let it flush, turn water off, replace plug, turn water back on and fill, then turn it back on.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:54 AM   #5

The sulphur in your fresh water tank is the root cause
Old 10-06-2019, 06:46 AM   #6

I was typing at the end of a long day and feeling very, very stressed. I meant the fresh water tank was 50 gal. ����*♂️ I was worried about having to empty the whole system. I didn’t word it well! LOL

Thanks for the tips. I’ll. Try flushing the whole so when I get to our destination today, and I’ll hook up the grey water tank.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:48 AM   #7

Thanks. I guess that’s my next purchase. There’s a Camping World in Albuquerque I suspect I’ll be visiting in the next few days. :::sigh::: :-D
Old 10-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoeg View Post
Iíve read the various posts on this forum and elsewhere and figure I have bacteria in my hot water tank. But hereís my conundrumÖ

Iím on day one of an eleven day trip. I have no idea how I can rain my HW tank and disinfect it when Iím at a campground. I doubt theyíll appreciate me draining 50 gallons at the campground. I figure tomorrow Iíll let it drain as I drive the next 275 miles, then fill it with the freshwater from the fresh tank that contains some chemicals to kill the bacteria and sludge. But I donít have the ability to fill it and drain it all at a campground.

Any ideas on a course of action?
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't add to what others have suggested but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The sulphur in your fresh water tank is the root cause
Not really. The smell is hydrogen sulfide but it comes from a microbe that thrives on various chemicals in hot water and poops the H2S. It gets nourishment from a variety of metals, including the ones in a sacrificial anode if your tank has one, so sulfur in the water may be a factor, but it's not the only one. Magnesium, zinc and aluminum, for example.

Flushing the heater and water lines gets rid of it, but it will soon return unless the entire system is sanitized to kill off the bacteria that produce it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Turn it off, turn water off, remove plug, let drain, turn water back on let it flush, turn water off, replace plug, turn water back on and fill, then turn it back on.

Open a faucet hotside to relieve pressure before removing WH Tank drain plug

Then with drain plug out....turn water supply on and 'power flush' the tank
(Inlet water dip tube points downward so water coming in will stir up bottom and blast it out the drain hole)

Better then sticking those wands in drain hole...blocking drain hole while trying to flush with the wand.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #11

Great How-To video

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought when I first read your post ...50 gallon water heater??? Most RV water heaters are in the 4 to 10 gallon range.

I think you can get away with draining the tank at a campground. If you think it will bother somebody, you can try to catch the water in a 5-gallon bucket (if you carry one) and throw it on their flower beds or somewhere.

I don't think you have to worry about "disinfecting" anything as it pertains to the water heater, just drain and use one of those plastic flushing tools that most of us carry --HERE at RVupgrades.com-- and spray into the drain hole. You'll be amazed at the crud that comes out. Run it until clear and I have to believe that it will get rid of any stagnant water and sediment that might be causing the smell.

However, if you think just draining and washing the crud out won't get rid of the smell (as I say, for me it usually will), you can use vinegar ...it's cheap and takes a few extra steps. The video below will show you how. Usually, if you drain and flush your tank yearly, you probably won't have to use vinegar but if you haven't done it in awhile, it may be a good idea to use it.

Again, the campground probably will not mind if you clean up the crud on the ground before you leave.

How To Flush & Clean an Atwood RV Water Heater

Really good info, theroc. Thanks for posting.
GuyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:19 PM   #12

Our last rv had that problem the hot water smelled like rotten eggs the tank was made of aluminum I drained the water heater and removed the pressure saftey valve and filled it with vinegar and water mix then ran the heat and let it sit overnite the next morning I drained it and the mixture came out white, I flushed it several times until I could not smell the vinegar anymore the smell was gone. But when you drain it do it somewhere without grass I had a large dead spot in the yard for months until the new seed finally came in.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Not really. The smell is hydrogen sulfide but it comes from a microbe that thrives on various chemicals in hot water and poops the H2S. It gets nourishment from a variety of metals, including the ones in a sacrificial anode if your tank has one, so sulfur in the water may be a factor, but it's not the only one. Magnesium, zinc and aluminum, for example.

Flushing the heater and water lines gets rid of it, but it will soon return unless the entire system is sanitized to kill off the bacteria that produce it.
Sulfate reducing bacteria requires sulfur in the water
Therefore sulphur free water won't smell like H2S
Old 10-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #14

Peroxide will work better than chlorine to eliminate the odor

Bleach followed by a carbon filter will also remove the odor

Many homes have to use the bleach / chlorine , carbon filter method or the hot water is tough to bear

Tags
heat, heater, smell, water, water heater