Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Water leak around refrigerator

Today I discovered water leaking out from under the cabinetry under our Norcold fridge. I think I have traced the source. When I took off the exterior cover behind the fridge outside I saw water in the back and water dripping from a drain hose that drains the water from the fridge when it defrosts. The end of the drain house should been in a "cup" that collects the water and allows it to evaporate.

Several months ago I had a repairman perform the work necessary to comply with the recall by Norcold. I am fairly certain that that is when this drain hose got "knocked" out of it's position allowing the water to drain into the fridge compartment. I think what has happened is that the plywood absorbed the water until saturated and then leaked out into the interior. The plywood under the fridge and behind it is soaked and I am worried about it's integrity. (I have a fan blowing air through the space to dry it out).

Does my thinking make since to anyone else? If so any idea how to get it fixed without me having to foot the cost? I know it would be hard to prove.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think you have it right about the repairman bit.
As to the plywood the floor weight of fridge should keep floor under fridge from causing a problem and the exposed part your drying out may not be that bad after drying.
As to having floor replaced do not have this shop do it may cause you more of a problem.
If floor just stapled down to supports maybe easy to replace the job is removing the fridge.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #3

The refrigerator does not go to the floor. There is about 18" under fridge and fridge sits on a cabinet shelf over heater/vent space below. I think actual floor looks okay.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Doesn't hurt to state your case to the person who made the repairs---it is a long shot but you have nothing to lose.

It is not clear when I read---do you have damage to the interior exposed floor that you are worried about? What is it tile? of something else and what does the damage look like? If not visible then the damage is under the fridge only?

If the plywood under the fridge is exterior ply I do not think you will have a problem once it is dried. If it is luan over a press board then it could bubble up---but still get it dried out completely first before you tear into anything. this may take a number of days.

Remove any panels in the basement under the fridge to see what that tells you about the extent of moisture---and also expose more area to fans and heating.

You might get lucky and this will be fine once dried but again it is difficult to say without pictures or more description.

I sure wish you well and will watch the thread to see if there is anything more I can say from the discussions.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfalls View Post
The refrigerator does not go to the floor. There is about 18" under fridge and fridge sits on a cabinet shelf over heater/vent space below. I think actual floor looks okay.
If the plywood you mention is still firm when you tap on it or push on it with a finger nail then you may be just fine. If it is soft then it may be pressed board etc; and may require some work.

Make sure you get things nice and dry before you rip anything out---or even determine the damage.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
kfalls---been thinking about your problem---how is it going?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #7

Thanks for checking. I had a fan blowing into area below fridge fro inside all night and the inside appears to have dried out and all appears solid. Outside with the drain hose in the collection container like it should have been, it now has water in it and appears to be collecting the water from the defrost mode as it should. BUT it was still wet outside behind the fridge. I found a pinhole leak in tubing supplying water to the ice maker. Now that I shut of the water to the ice maker it seems to be drying out in the back too. It looks like boards will dry out and be ok. I'm keeping a fan blowing under the fridge for a day or two to dry it out good and prevent mold. Now all I have do do is replace water hose and I should be good.

I'm going to forget issue with repairman and drain hose as it looks like it was not the sole issue. I will also have learned to double check repairs anytime someone works on things. ( who knows, I might have caught it!)

Thanks again for you reply and follow-up!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad to hear it----my ice maker hose leaked and the entire unit had to be removed----big dollars because I did not want to fool with it. Hope you are luckier, or have a fridge that has more access---sounds like you do. All is well---good for you.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #9

As I read kfalls problem, I thought 'ice maker supply hose'. We had the same problem last summer...I just shut the supply valve off until we got home. Luckily, no damage. Glad you found the problem early.

That defrost drain hose inside the cup can cause some 'extra' frost on the fridge's cooling fins. I've found by adding about 1" of water in the cup, that will submerge the end of the hose and stop outside/compartment warm air from migrating up the hose(warm air rises) and onto the cooling fins thus causing additional frost...helpful hint 101 Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, refrigerator