Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #1

Water oozing past window frame

I have a leaking window made by Hehr that slides open horizontally. The frame of the window is the typical extruded aluminum but the window itself slides in a plastic channel that snaps into the aluminum extrusion. While the plastic track is inserted into the aluminum frame there is a lip portion that extends over the aluminum frame into the interior of the rv. It is in this extended plastic lip that the bug screen slides back and forth.
Under the right conditions I am seeing rain water ooze between the aluminum frame and plastic track and leak into the interior of the rv and quite a bit. All weep holes are clear but itís like surface tension is keeping a certain amount of water in the frame and it is being wicked between the aluminum and plastic and brought into the interior of the rv. I have found that water is actually getting behind the wall and I can see that dry rot could occur over time.
I should note that this only seems to occur when the rv is parked in my angled drive way so that water pools at one far corner of the window. Remember all inner and outer weep holes are clear. Iím tempted to run a silicon bead along the aluminum edge of the frame where it meets the plastic runner. Has anyone had similar experience?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I would not be absolutely certain that the frame is the culprit of your leak. Water is funny stuff and can weasel its way from the oddest places. We had serious dry rot around a few window frames in our new to us coach, and it turned out that one leak was from the slide above it, and the other from trim moulding above the pilot's window. You are right to be concerned about dry rot. If it has just started, you could consider the silicon, but if that doesn't stop it, I wouldn't let it go.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #3

I'm pretty much convinced the problem is as described. I poured water directly from a water bottle into the frame while the rv was parked at an angle. While water exited the weep holes there was still a certain amount of water remaining in the track due to surface tension. Looking down the frame I can see a cross section of the plastic track insert because it terminates before the corner radius of the frame. I can actually see a film of water between the aluminum and the plastic and eventually water oozing out into the interior.

This oozing out only occurs when the rv is parked at an angle and at the lower corner of the window. If the rv is level there is no oozing but when I can pry the plastic track away from where it overlaps the aluminum with my fingernail and let it snap back I get a slight smattering of water but it does not ooze in. I have also sense talked to a local window guy experienced with rv windows and he acknowledged this phenomena. Looks like my two options are to keep it parked level or run a bead of silicon along the plastic/aluminum interface.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #4

I would use a one-part polyurethane sealant instead of silicone. Take out the plastic screen track if you can, and run a bead of sealant under it. If the water is getting past the weatherproof seal then you may want to pull the entire window and reseal as a precaution. Leaks as you describe are the number one cause of delam and rot. check ou www.delamrepair.com for sealants.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #5

Thanks for your post.

Our RV suddenly developed a significant leak that has eluded me. And so far it appears to be a one time event. It had been parked outside with the left front slightly low and I'd noticed during rainy periods a steady stream of water running down the driver's window. The dampness in the rug near the driver's seat appeared suddenly after a period of unusually heavy rain and hadn't seemed to have gotten any worse since.

So your post gives me a starting point to start looking.

BTW with regard to sealants I'd second the polyurethane as the best choice based on many years experience around boats. And leaks!
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Polyurethane it is, thanks for the advice. And I have considered taking out the track but that just seems too monumental of a task. I still like the idea of a small exterior bead.

Steve
Old 04-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #7

I'm glad to report that the oozing is a thing of the past after running a bead of sealant. We have had a considerable amount of rain here in Oregon since I sealed it and no water is getting past between the plastic track and aluminum frame. I even poured water directly into the track and all is good.

Steve
Old 04-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73gitane View Post
I'm glad to report that the oozing is a thing of the past after running a bead of sealant. We have had a considerable amount of rain here in Oregon since I sealed it and no water is getting past between the plastic track and aluminum frame. I even poured water directly into the track and all is good.

Steve
Thanks for reporting back. Glad to hear that the sealant worked for you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #9

Quote:

Steve
Yes, thanks for the update.
For reference, what brand sealant did you use?
Thanks,
Andy
Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #10

Roady, I wimped out and used Permatex black rtv sealant I had. A very fine line of sealant was used. I masked off about a 1/16" width along the window frame so this is a very fine bead. But it's enough to keep the water from wicking through.

Steve
Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Roady, I wimped out and used Permatex black rtv sealant I had. A very fine line of sealant was used. I masked off about a 1/16" width along the window frame so this is a very fine bead. But it's enough to keep the water from wicking through.

Steve
Steve,
It's all good. You fixed the problem and with resources you had on hand. I can't see a better solution.

And silicone isn't all bad. Something most people don't know is that there are 2 kinds of silicone out there.
1. Acetic acid (vinegar) based that has the typical "silicone" odor. You smell the outgassing acetic acid acid as the material cures.
2. Alchohol-based, that does not smell hardly at all. Permatex "The Right Stuff" is one example of this type. Loctite makes a version too.

The alcohol-based is best for gasketing and bonding. It is stronger, bonds better, and is much more resistant to oil. Costs a lot more too.

Neither type will hold paint or other adhesives very well.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #12

Roady,

That's great information! I've never bothered to wonder why the silicone used on my bathroom tile smelled so much and this Permatex didn't. I've also come to find that vinegar/acetic acid based silicone can be rough on electronics and metals.

Thanks!

Tags
water, window