Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
water pressure

A fellow camper told me that instead of using a pressure regulator , if the campground water is under high pressure he simply turns the tap on only half way to reduce pressure. Is this an effective method?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
...if the campground water is under high pressure he simply turns the tap on only half way to reduce pressure. Is this an effective method?
NO

Put a gauge on it and see for yourself.

Here's why: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_a...regulator_work so unless you'll be rapidly turning that valve on and off just setting it at one point will do nothing to regulate the pressure - only regulates flow.

BTW and JMHO - "A fellow camper told me" is a sure sign of "interesting" information to follow! Come over to irv2 like you did to get the real low-down!

Old 11-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
A fellow camper told me that instead of using a pressure regulator , if the campground water is under high pressure he simply turns the tap on only half way to reduce pressure. Is this an effective method?
NO! It would reduce flow but not pressure
Old 11-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I currently have this cheap lil thing camping world sold me, or maybe it was in the starter kit they gave me?
It's blue, 4" long, and has a tiny hole in it. Yup, it reduces the pressure all right, by reducing the flow to almost nothing.

Next spring I'm gonna buy a real regulator.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Found this article in a search.

Some RVers seem to think they don't need a pressure regulator in their line if they simply open the tap, "just a little." They reason that if the tap isn't on full, the pressure will be reduced. Sorry, faulty reasoning! Turning the tap on "just a little" will reduce the volume of water, but not the pressure.

Question answered thanks for the replies.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #6

It is very simple to test the theory. Hook up a hose and then turn the water on full force,(do not connect one end to anythng), then close the valve and watch the stream of water. Your answer lies in front of your eyes.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #7

Not sure which theory you are proving. Reduced flow could be misinterpeted as reduced pressure. Need to put a pressure gage between the reduced flow valve and the hose outlet. Put a valve on the hose outlet, turn it off and the pressure goes up to the park pressure. This is what your plumbing sees. I'll take my shower with a regulator installed vrs restricting the flow.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
It is very simple to test the theory. Hook up a hose and then turn the water on full force,(do not connect one end to anythng), then close the valve and watch the stream of water. Your answer lies in front of your eyes.
NOT TRUE all you are doing is reducing flow and if you capped off the end the pressure would build to line pressure. You need a good regulator like a Watts whole house regulator from a hardware or plumbing store.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Absolutely not a good practice for the reasons stated above. Even the little dime store models that Wally World sells is better than nothing. I use a Watts adjustable regulator that I purchased from Lowe's along with necessary fittings and a pressure gauge designed for sprinkler systems. Even if the CG pressure is low, still use the regulator. We set up in a CG in Florida and the pressure gauge was reading 35 PSI that evening. Seemed we had more pressure the next morning, checked it again and it was near 100PSI. Was lucky I think. Soon after I bought the good regulator.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #10

Wizard is exactly right. Don't believe the self-styled expert who will be some place else when you are unlucky enough to hook up to a system that blows up a weak point in your RV. Go to Lowes or Depot & hook up with the plumbing guy. Tell him you want a Watts or equal house water pressure reducer and the fitting required to install it on a hose bibb with a male fitting to accept a standard hose. It will have a tag showing adjustment to approx 50 # and is adjustable. It will give you full flow and is trouble free.

Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #11

If I get the adjustable type, what is a good pressure setting for a MH?
Old 11-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have my Watts regulator set at 60 PSI. It's been working well for a long time.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #13

CW also sells an in line Valterra adjustable regulator with a dial gauge incorporated. I keep it set at 60# and it works great. I attached it to my inlet connection in the water bay with a quick connect for the hose on the other end. Quick, easy, and about $60.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #14

Turning the gate valve down or reducing water flow will not reduce pressure. If you spent 75,000. + dollars for an RV or Motorhome why would you not spend 15.00 bucks on a good pressure valve? kind of makes no sense!