RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 11:35 PM   #1

Water Pressure Regulator

I currently have a external water filter that runs into a water softner then into the coach which also has a internal filter before going inside.
Do i really need a regulator? If staying for only a week i usually dont use the softner just the external filter.
If i need one, which ones have the guage on them

DonB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2019, 07:05 AM   #2

Do any of your filtration systems also have a built in water regulator? If not would suggest carrying one. We own one - brass, heavy, with gauge - that basically fits in the palm of your hand. While we don't use it all the time it's nice to have, especially when the campground you're staying in advises you they have exceptional water pressure & recommend using one. You can google the gauges for motor homes/camping & the usual sites like Camping World, Amazon, etc. will come up. And maybe it's the bumps in the road or just age, but they seem to have a "shelf life" & need to be replaced every once in a while. We've had about 3 different ones over the past 15 years or so.

FlaCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I look at these like a surge protector, youíre never going to wish you didnít have it. Iíve got a Renator, heavy and brass with a gauge on it. Works very well, holds the pressure at a desired level but doesnít reduce the flow like some of the other ones. I snagged mine off Amazon, first one arrived with a broken gauge (worst packing job by Amazon Iíve even seen) but it was quickly replaced when I contacted them)
Old 12-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, a regulator should be used. Some campgrounds have such high pressure they warn to use a regulator.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #5

I just ordered a Renator M11. Cost $37. Hopefully itís a quality one. Has over 2000 reviews.
CWP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Water Pressure Regulator

We've been RVing for 6 months a year for the past four years. All up and down the East Coast and into New England and recently to the Pan Handle and Deep South Texas. I would never dream of hooking my 30 amp cord to shore power without a surge protector, had a lightning strike the campground in Naples, fried my surge unit, company replaced free. I would never dream of hooking up "city" water without a pressure regulator either. Happy trails....
Ramz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You definitely need a good water pressure regulator! I have been in RV parks with over 100 PSI water pressure! That can do serious damage to your water system!

I use the Fairview regulator with added pressure gauge. This regulator allow full flow from the spigot and is set at 55 PSI.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/F1001.htm

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/H0001.htm

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post
I currently have a external water filter that runs into a water softner then into the coach which also has a internal filter before going inside.
Do i really need a regulator?
In a word, yes.

All those restrictions will cut the pressure to the faucet or shower head while water is flowing, with how much depending on how fast itís flowing, but as soon as theyíre closed and the waterís not moving the water pressure everywhere in the system will be the same as the supply pressure at the pedestal. Which can be higher, and potentially much higher, than what your unitís manufacturer and component supplier (like water heaters) designed for.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #9

I use one at every camp site. I got an expensive Watts one from a RV online water store. It never worked. Sent it back twice for repair and it was returned to me still not working 2X. It now sits in my storage. Got one for $45 and it works great. Donít wast your money on an expensive one.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:01 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I bought the one listed below off of Amazon for less than $25 and so far, it works fine. You can adjust the pressure up or down or just set it and leave it at whatever pressure you want. It has a few negative reviews but those mostly were regarding it not working/leaking on initial use. As others have said, DEFINITELY use a regulator! I routinely stay at a park in Mississippi and the water pressure there is in excess of 100 psi. Modern RV plumbing can probably withstand those pressures, (not sure of for how long though) but a good regulator is less than $50 which is good insurance against busted plumbing or worse yet, water leaking all over the inside of your RV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-15-2019, 06:11 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Pressure Regulator?

We also changed the shower head to a water aerating unit, about $30 at Walmart. With the pressure regulated to 45 50 psi still have a great shower and using less water each time win win..
Ramz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #12

You never know what the water pressures are unless you check. Like vsheetz indicated, some campgrounds can have very high pressures and warn about not using a regulator. Here is a picture of one such campsite we ran into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8117.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	269510  
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #13

Just like with surge protection... Is there any benefit in more than one? I have been using one I bought off Amazon - no gauge or settings. Just inline. When the Renator M11 arrives I plan to use it at the spigot, before the in-line filter. Would putting the old inline one after that be of any use?
CWP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWP3 View Post
Just like with surge protection... Is there any benefit in more than one? I have been using one I bought off Amazon - no gauge or settings. Just inline. When the Renator M11 arrives I plan to use it at the spigot, before the in-line filter. Would putting the old inline one after that be of any use?
I do not see any advantage to having two pressure regulators.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water