Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2008, 04:03 AM   #1

Hi Everyone,
Sorry if you have heard this all before but now it is my turn. We are on the road.
Yesterday after three days without city water, but plenty of water in my fresh water tank, my water pump stopped pumping water to the faucets.
For the past week or so the pump was getting louder when it ran with some minor vibration felt in the floor, but I was getting plenty of water.
Now when I turn it on it purrs like a kitten but I get no water. After staying up late last night reading about all the other RVers water pump issues on this web site,this morning,on city water, I bled all of the faucets on the rig to make sure there were no air locks. Still no water even though I can hear the pump running.
I have a 2007 Gulfstream BT Crusier motor home. As far as I can tell the water line goes straight to the pump from the fresh water tank with no filters to clog.
What do you think? Could the pump be bad already? Or is there something else that I can look for.
Thanks
Don
don springhetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:03 AM   #2

Hi Everyone,
Sorry if you have heard this all before but now it is my turn. We are on the road.
Yesterday after three days without city water, but plenty of water in my fresh water tank, my water pump stopped pumping water to the faucets.
For the past week or so the pump was getting louder when it ran with some minor vibration felt in the floor, but I was getting plenty of water.
Now when I turn it on it purrs like a kitten but I get no water. After staying up late last night reading about all the other RVers water pump issues on this web site,this morning,on city water, I bled all of the faucets on the rig to make sure there were no air locks. Still no water even though I can hear the pump running.
I have a 2007 Gulfstream BT Crusier motor home. As far as I can tell the water line goes straight to the pump from the fresh water tank with no filters to clog.
What do you think? Could the pump be bad already? Or is there something else that I can look for.
Thanks
Don
Old 10-14-2008, 04:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Don, are you sure there's no filter? The last 3 moho's I've owned all had a separate screen filters attached to the input side of the water pump. You might try disconnecting the input line from the water pump and make sure you're getting water to the pump? Otherwise yank the pump out and take it apart. There pretty simple and maybe you can find something inside the pump that's preventing it from functioning properly.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 AM   #4

When the pump "Purrs like a kitten" it's usually because it's not getting any water and is running free, "Not working hard".
I would bet that if you look on the input side of the pump, the side towards the fresh tank, you will find an attachment that is like a round diaphragm about 2" across. That's your intake filter. Unscrew it from the pump and the intake line and check it out. It's probably plugged.
Good luck,
Jerry
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know if it is a diaphragm or impeller pump, but either are very easy to take apart.

Parts are easy to get from supplier. If all else fails, you can get a new pump probably from ANY RV or large boat dealer.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Had somewhat similar situation - "no water, but pump sounded smooth". Found my plastic filter bowl cracked around it's top almost all way around. It was sucking air big time. Replaced bowl, water returned.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

good advice in the other replies - if the pump runs but no water, there is either a clogged inlet or an air leak.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if this will work for you, but we were having a similar problem not too long ago. When looking on the internet for help I found a message that suggested releasing the pressure relief valve on the water heater to re-establish an air pocket. Sounded weird to me, but I guess the air pocket can be lost over time. The poster of the information said it is needed to let the system pressurize. When I did this on our rig the water pump started pumping water again. Of course, you should turn the water heater off for a while to let the water cool off before doing it (or wear some gloves to avoid being scalded by the hot water). By the way not too much water drained out, but I guess it was enough.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 10-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #9

Thanks everyone,
I took a look at the pump. It has a screw on connection at both the inlet and outlet side but I do not see anything that looks like a filter unless it is in the fitting. I also checked the plumbing schematic in the owners manual. It only shows a "pump with backflow preventer" in line from the fresh water tank.
Also, at both the inlet ant outlet side of the pump, just inside the threaded connection, is a blue plastic slide "ring". It is set up so that you can grab it and pull it to the left and then push it back to the right.Do you know what they do?
I am draining everything tonight and will disconnect the pump tomorrow.
Don