Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Water pump/accumulator question

Replaced the water pump and am having issues:

The JABSCO accumulator tank instructions state that the pre-pressure on the tank should be set at the cut-in pressure of the 12V water pump. The Aquajet water pump instructions does not state what that pressure is. I set the accumulator pressure at the factory-recommended 20psi and the pump just is not cycling properly. Takes it an extended time to cut off (maybe minute or more which is much longer than what I was accustomed too). When it finally reaches cut off it cycles off/on/off/on several times before shutting down. Pressure at the faucets is low compared to what the old pump offered. New pump is same model and brand and rating as old pump.

How does the accumulator tank pressure affect pump operation? I am not in a place to try varying the pressure at present, so we are having to put up with the pump's erratic operation.

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
What the accumulator does is provide an air cushion that is compressible against the water which is not, the water can fill some of the void in the accumulator and when the faucet is open the compressed air will push out some of that water. What this accomplishes is that pump cycles less often. Do you have a pressure gauge on the water line? you should see a steady rise in pressure once the faucet is closed until pump shut off.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ron, the problem is that you are using a accumalator tank on an Aquajet Variable Speed pump. If you have the Aquajet ES or RV pump the technical data that comes with the pump tells you NOT to use an accumalator tank. If you use an accumalator tank the pump will not shutoff correctly. Call Bill at Aquajet 949.225.2200 ext 249
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks

I contacted Bill at AquaJet. Very cordial guy and took the time to explain things to me. Basically, the pump that was in the RV when we purchased it was not designed to operate with an accumulator. The "new" pump installed by the rv technician also does not work correctly with the accumulator. I specifically asked the tech who did the change-out for me if I had a variable speed pump (RV Aquajet model 5503-4V15-B636) and he said it was NOT a variable speed pump. WRONG!

Apparently, some of the VS pumps will function in conjunction with an accumulator tank, but those are the exception. Now it's dive back in and start the plumbing process over again. This time, I do it myself. It seems that to get something done correctly, you just about have to do the wrenching yourself.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You could leave the tank installed and just put a valve inline to shut it off.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
You must be a mind reader! I was just wondering if i could just take all the air pressure off the tank and leave it in place.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNBama View Post
You must be a mind reader! I was just wondering if i could just take all the air pressure off the tank and leave it in place.
Yes, that will do the same thing.
the only thing to consider is that it may leave the tank full of water which will need to be removed when you winterise,

Another way to eliminate the tank would be to pressurise it to the maximum rated pressure of the accumulator tank. This will drive all the water out and since the accumulator pressure is higher than the pump maximum, the accumulator plays no part in the system - and since there is almost no water, no problems with winterisation considerations.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You can't just remove the air out of a tank. Just read an article on that subject with house well pumps. The problem the water in the tank will stagnate and you will have bacteria in the tank. In normal operation the bladder is. pushing new water in and out of the tank.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
My best bet will be to remove the tank entirely. The pump is located behind the accumulator tank so getting some hardware out of the way and re-routing some piping will make for an easier maintenance process in the future.

This should be interesting, squeezing my 200-pound body into a 140-pound access port. You all may want to buy stock in peroxide and band aid manufacturers soon.

Thanks for the tips and advise. I was about to throw in the towel on this.

Tags
water