Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
The water in Yuma is bad, they have water stations all over the place. We didn't hook up to the water there as our friends warned us and we were staying at their place so used their shower and washing machine.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I had a whole house filter which removed sediment from all water entering the rig.

I only drank or cooked with water from my drinking water filter which had it's own faucet. I had one in the kitchen and one in the bath for brushing teeth, taking meds, etc.

The drinking water filters removed anything that would affect taste, and it removed bacteria.

Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
+1 to the carbon filter. We just bought the housing at Lowes and enough plumbing parts to connect it to the supply hose. I strap it to the pipe or pedestal to keep it upright. Try to change it often.

Our rig also has an Everpure under sink filter for the drinking water spigot and ice maker.

All that said, I can not think of a time when we noticed bad smelling or tasting water however we mostly drink unflavored seltzer.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a whole house filtering system. Water first goes thru a sediment filter, then goes thru a charcoal filter. Before hooking up to campground water, I will turn on the pedestal facet, at a high flow rate and allow to run onto the ground for about 7 seconds. You may be surprized to see how rusty color the water looks. Most parks do not or cannot flush out their lines, like the firemen do at city fire hydrants.
Bill, enrolled member of Choctaw Tribe. 2005 Fleetwood/Revolution,AFE Filter,Aero Exhaust,Koni FSD shocks,KarKaddy SS. Progressive HW-50C.
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #19
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We drink filtered water (keep it clear 1/2 gal jugs in refrig) and use the RV water system for washing/shower and toilet.
Drinking water is via Britta filter if campground water is good. We keep a gallon of water handy ($1 at Wal-Mart).
I started doing this after finding a soft ball size ball of floating mold in a TT water tank after a long trip. We didn't get sick on it and don't know how long the mold was there - but .............
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #20
Thank you all for your feedback and experiences. What I am hearing is that while the water quality can vary, it is not **always** foul smelling. The worst offender often being a sulfer smell (but my friend is definitely not complaining about a sulfer smell).

I will advise them to check for/replace any filters, and do a thorough cleaning/sanitization of all on-board tanks and lines. We'll see whether that helps them.

Thank you all again for your experiences!
- 2012 Fleetwood Expedition 36M -
MN_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
I visited a campground in the Charleston, SC area last week and it had the worst water we have ever experienced. It had a terrible sulfur smell and when showering, it felt like the soap would never wash off. I have a whole house sediment filter in my MH, but that did not help. Most of the other campgrounds that we have stayed at have been no problem with the water.
Emphasis added

You Tom have hit upon the major problem with water filters on motor homes.

A Sediment filter will do NOTHING for dissolved chemicals like sulfur, it will take out sand, and if it's a small enough filter (micron size) bacteria even, but it will not take out dissolved chemicals. And sulfur is one of those.

This needs an ACTIVE filter element, such as Activated Charcoal.

This is why my filiter is activated charcoal

I will describe my home made filter and a suggested change in the design

I took some 3" PVC pipe (2 short sections totaling about 18"), and a couple of drain covers (Stainless and plastic) and some more fittings including both a male and female threaded adapter.

In one end of the one of the short sections (the longer one) I put the stainless strainer, on the end of that is a reducer or 3 going all the way to a 3/4" Garden hose coupler (Male)

On the other end is one of the male/female threaded adapters.

On the shorter one is the other male/female adapter (Mate) and on the other end of that is the plastic drain "Grill" and another set of reducers this time going to a FEmale Garden hose fitting.

I put in filter floss, (Activated charcoal, If I wished I could add sand on top of that but I don't. more floss, and screw it all together.

The filter floss and charcoal are from the pet fish dept at Wal-Mart. (get the basic charcoal, not the anti-Ammonia stuff).

The suggested change.. Use 2" pipe instead o 3.. Easier to assemble and dissassemble for re-charging.. Change charcoal and floss from time to time, How often I leave up to you I do 2x a year.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
wa8yxm, Any way we could get you to post a picture of your homemade filter? I am very interested in doing something along those lines. I'm particularly interested in how you incorporated the drain covers into the filter. I'm assuming these are to keep the contents in the body of the filter? Any information you could divulge would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Steve & Niki
2009 Monaco Cayman 35 SBD Cummins ISB 340HP
2011 Chevy HHR Toad
CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

quality, water