Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #1

Water Quality at Campgrounds

I am posting this on behalf of an acquaintance who was complaining about always / usually finding "stinky" water from their shore hookups at campgrounds. My admittedly limited experience has not so far had me complaining about stinky water coming out of hookups... which makes me wonder if the cause is actually on-board their unit (a trialer I believe).

What is the experience of the group??? Is it common to get bad smelling water out of your shore hookups, or should my friend be focusing on an on-board problem, like contaminated hose or on-board plumbing???? (sorry, I can not get a clear description of the smell, other than "rancid", or something on that order.....

Thank you all, as usual, for sharing your experience!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

In over 1200 overnights in commercial, state and COE campgrounds, we have experienced water with objectionable odors three times, twice in southern IN, and once in MS. Typically we use campground water for all our needs, including drinking and giving to pets with no odor or other issues.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
What jzick said x2
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We have never had a problem with the water.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #5

Water from one area to another will taste different. But other than the old sulphur water (you would know sulphur water if you encountered it) - no issues I've encountered and I do use campground water as drinking water. Think of the lawsuits if it were not safe.
rhks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water Quality

We use reverse osmosis filtered water for drinking. Both on the road and at home.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Our rig has a whole house carbon filter. The cylinder type filter you buy at the hardware store. That is usually all you need to filter chlorine etc. However in Moab, Utah the only solution is to buy your water. Their water is safe but not tasty and makes horrid coffee, tea etc. Even the cat would not drink it.

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
High sulfur where I'm parked,, I run it through some charcoal and it's just fine.

There are several types of water filters, Some are sediment, some "micron" but charcoal is the "Taste and odor" filter.

My filter is home made but many on the market are actually better at taste and odor removal.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I visited a campground in the Charleston, SC area last week and it had the worst water we have ever experienced. It had a terrible sulfur smell and when showering, it felt like the soap would never wash off. I have a whole house sediment filter in my MH, but that did not help. Most of the other campgrounds that we have stayed at have been no problem with the water.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #10

Having , in a earlier lifetime, held certification in water treatment, drinking water in campgrounds can certainly be a concern. I had an experience once where a private park manager brought a cup of water that looked like swamp water, and asked if it was alright to drink. Many states monitor water quality in campgrounds. Many don't. You certainly be within your rigts to inquire from a campground how often they have their water tested. If they don't want to talk about it, be suspicious.

IF they are being tested, and If there is a problem, they are supposed to post in public view if they have a problem. State, federal and municipal parks are almost guarenteed to be tested. Private parks may or may not be.

We drink bottled water, or water filled from a known source.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We found in San Antonio that the water has a high mineral content that calls for the filters being changed fairly frequently. Other than that we have use campground water coast to coast with no problem. We do drink bottled water for the taste of water can vary greatly from place to place.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In 6 1/2 years of RVing, we have never found water that we could smell. Hard water is a different story.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #13

To the OP: Have your friend sanitize the whole system with bleach - from hose inlet to all outlets. Remove any in-line filters first. Then flush with known good water until there is no more odor.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #14

It could be that the OP has a filter installed and it has never been changed so has become a cause of poor water quality rather than a cure.

Hot water systems can also cause bad taste/smell

Tags
quality, water