Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 11:35 PM   #1

Water Softners during times of non use

I've read several great threads on the advantage of water softeners and would like to get one for our coach. Question is, what happens to the water softener during long times of non use (we are not full timers/just a couple of months at a time)... such as 6 months or more? I'd say there will also be times of 2 months with no use? I assume when not in use and in transport, the ends are plugged so they don't get contamination or leak if they fell over. Is it just a simple as take out the plugs and start using again like it was yesterday?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #2

I recently bought the On The Go portable softener, and so far I really like it. When I got it, I called the manufacturer and asked the exact question you ask here. I was told it is okay to leave it with water in it for several weeks, even months, of non-use. They say just let it rinse for a minute or so when you first use it after storing it.

It came with instructions about how to drain it for long-term storage (which their CS told me is in the ballpark of 6 months or more). I keep mine at the house and I use it when I wash my cars, so it gets fairly regular use.

When being transported or not used, it comes with simple screw-on plugs that cover then inlet and outlet and keep water from spilling out. Like I said, so far I'm happy with both the quality and the customer service from On The Go.

Here's a link for the one I bought:

Amazon.com: On The Go OTG4-DBLSOFT-Portable 16,000 Grain RV Water Softener: Automotive

Old 02-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. We live in the Black Hills in SD and our well water is hard so excellent idea on washing cars/MH when home. Currently traveling along the gulf coast and note sure how to order one on line and get it delivered to us since we only stay about 12 days in one location. I'd like to get one before we return home in April so will price it locally (hopefully not twice as much!)
Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

RedRaider ... another quick question ... does it have to stored upright and can you set on it's side during transport?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Thanks for the info. We live in the Black Hills in SD and our well water is hard so excellent idea on washing cars/MH when home. Currently traveling along the gulf coast and note sure how to order one on line and get it delivered to us since we only stay about 12 days in one location. I'd like to get one before we return home in April so will price it locally (hopefully not twice as much!)

If you would like to talk to a fellow user, I live just north of Rapid and have had an On the Go for a year now. We've been very happy with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
RedRaider ... another quick question ... does it have to stored upright and can you set on it's side during transport?
Per the folks at Flow Pur, YES, you can transport and store on its side. You will need to close/cap all inlet and outlet ports to avoid leaking. You will need it upright when in use.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Keep in mind that you will need to balance performance vs weight. Whether it is Flow-Pur or On The Go, the bigger means the heavier. DUH!

I have the Flow-Pur 10,000 grain model and I can tell you that when it is full, it is heavy enough that you can't ignore that fact. The technical data for it matches up close to the OTG standard (8,000 grains) but is heavier. The PF lists at 26# and .33 Cu Ft of resin vs OTG 18# and .25 Cu Ft of resin. What neither makes clear is if that is as delivered or with water. The OTG Double size comes in at 16,000 grains, 32# & .52 Cu Ft of resin.

As long as you have a place to store it and have open access for regeneration operations and occasional back flushing, then size and weight are not a problem. If you have to "deploy" and store it between stops, or if you have to reposition it for regeneration and back flush operations, it can turn into a real PITA.

The other factor is how hard the inlet water is which will determine how often you have to regenerate. Looking at the OTG 16,000 they infer you will get 1600 gallons of softened water. This assumes that the water being treated contains 10 grains of hardness per gallon. That being said, where I am at in the TX Rio Grande Valley I am seeing a need to regenerate in as little as a few days with my 10,000 grain unit. I'm even thinking I need to back flush more often than the 6 month recommendation, perhaps as much as every other regeneration.

OTG also claims to remove rust...well...while that might be correct to some degree, the question is to what degree. Here is a good article on iron removal. Use it as you see fit in understanding the factors on iron removal. Here is another article that helps point out what water softeners can a and can't do regarding iron and some other interesting points to be understood.

Time to go back flush and regenerate my unit today. LOL
Old 02-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The actual manufacturer of the FlowPur (not the distributor) told me to add the salt as if I was going to regenerate it and leave the brine in until ready to use it again.
I did that for our one snowbird summer season - about six months long - and it worked fine.
The brine was put it and left again last spring when we settled gown for good and I plan to leave it in until I sell it.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
The actual manufacturer of the FlowPur (not the distributor) told me to add the salt as if I was going to regenerate it and leave the brine in until ready to use it again.
I did that for our one snowbird summer season - about six months long - and it worked fine.
The brine was put it and left again last spring when we settled gown for good and I plan to leave it in until I sell it.
That is a gear idea but I would suggest plugging the input and output side. If the water inside evaporates it will take alto of flushing to redissolve the salt.
JMHO - Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
That is a gear idea but I would suggest plugging the input and output side. If the water inside evaporates it will take alto of flushing to redissolve the salt.
JMHO - Steve
I have quick disconnects and two short hoses in my setup (also have a water filter in line) and I use one of the short hoses to connect the input to the output . That's also how I transported it in the toad when on the road.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I have quick disconnects and two short hoses in my setup (also have a water filter in line) and I use one of the short hoses to connect the input to the output . That's also how I transported it in the toad when on the road.
SkyBoss - Don and I reworked mine with a 200 psi hose between the filters and softener, and have a similar 3 or 4' hose on the output using quick disconnects. I can easily connect the longer hose to the output for back flush.

I remove the small cap on the softener and pump a couple cups of water out and use a funnel to pour salt in. I put the buckets under the filters to catch the water when changing the filters. Nothing to remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423175833253.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	85260   Click image for larger version

Name:	1423176100836.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	85261  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1423176113677.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	85262  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #12

A lot of good information here. Thanks. Considering the weight I'd get the smaller/lighter one when I do buy, but don't like the idea of regenerating every couple of days and flushing more often so might have to reconsider. When flushing, can you do it at the camp ground on the ground or do you have to take be careful so you don't kill vegetation?
Old 02-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Salt water will kill vegetation.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #14

I do it over the gravel pad. I'm also using potassium salt, just to try it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water