Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #1

Water Stained Windows

I have hard water streaks and stains on my reflective windows. I can't get it off, tried glass cleaner, vinegar and car wax, but nothing is working. Does anybody know of a method that will remove the spots and streaks.

Thanks, Terry

Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #2

Razor blade or bon ami

Another trick is car or vinegar but place a paper towel on window and tape in place with tape above mess.

Now dribble or spray vinegar or other acid onto paper towel just enough to wet it.

It will hold it on the class and you can spray more as needed but be careful to avoid getting on paint.

Let soak for a day or so then try scraping with single edge razor blade.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
I have hard water streaks and stains on my reflective windows. I can't get it off, tried glass cleaner, vinegar and car wax, but nothing is working. Does anybody know of a method that will remove the spots and streaks.

Thanks, Terry
terry, are you sure the streaks are nit dried condensation between the panes of a double-paned window?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #4

I spray window with windex then scrub with baking soda on a xxxx steel wool pad. removes it all.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:52 PM   #5

The only way I have been able to remove water stains from glass is a buffer and fine polishing compound. Keep it wet, it does make a mess and be ready to get compound all over yourself.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I kept it from happening on our '02 Dutch Star by using Dry Wash N Guard on the windows. Not sure that it will remove what's already there though. If the coating is on the inside, like ours, than you might try 0000 steel wool. That works wonders on the windshield for bugs and won't scratch the glass.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
I spray window with windex then scrub with baking soda on a xxxx steel wool pad. removes it all.
It will also remove wiper scratches on the windshield as well.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Just removed all my Arizona hard water spots with the new Rain Ex foam window cleaner/wax. Did apply 3 times. Great stuff.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:39 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
You fellows sure work at it.
Go to just about any hardware store and purchase a small bottle of Phosphoric acid.
It is sold as a tub and sink cleaner to clean rust, water stains, and other build up.
Some but not all cleaners for this purpose use it and it is very easy to use and will with little effort remove water stains from windows even the hard ones.
Fuller brush sold it for years for this purpose.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Dissolve Bathroom Cleaner

Link for fuller Dissolve
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Thanks, Terry
Terry W
See: Using Steel Wool On Windows ?

Or Google "cleaning water stained windows".

If the glass is etched/damage by water see:
Old 02-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #12

I recently did a test on my toad windshield using the Magic Eraser and it did a good job. You'd want to make sure the mild abrasive in these would not damage your reflective windows.

tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #13

I use clothes dryer sheets. Little elbow grease takes the streaks off.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #14

I owned two gas stations with full service car washes/detail shops for almost ten years. I thought this qualifies me to offer my advice here.

Steel wool (0000 ONLY if you care to try it) is NOT recommended. In my experience, fine steel particles (almost invisible to the naked eye) get into the space between the rubber seal, and the glass, and rust there. Rather quickly. One has to be VERY careful to brush (or blow) these away after cleaning (almost impossible to get all of it).

IF the metallic wool is used for this, I recommend brass wool (also very fine). Brass does the job just as good, and it never rusts. This is not easy to find (in "home improvement" warehouse type stores), but it's available.

If too much hassle to find it, other poster recommended single edge razor blade, and I wholeheartedly agree. Wet the window with 50/50 solution of WHITE vinegar and distilled water (don't drip on the paint, or you'll have to polish/wax the paint right after!), and take the razor blade to the scales. Blade should be kept at 45 degree angle. After the scales are removed, treat the window with water repellent liquid, or the car wax (same wax that you use on the paint works fine).

Stay away from sprinklers, and hard water! Mineral deposits from hard water are VERY corrosive, and if not taken off the clear coat (body) soon enough, will permanently etch the clear coat (even glass!), and lift it off (same goes for egg whites, and bird droppings).

MH is not easy to keep clean, but for cars, I always carry wet "baby wipes", to wipe off any bird droppings as soon as I get them (if I can't get to the car wash fast enough). In the sunny climate it takes ONE sunny afternoon with the fresh bird dropping on the dark paint, to leave permanent "shadow" after it's been washed off. The ONLY way to remove that shadow, is color sanding, and buffing (and if few days went by, even that would not help!). My vehicles were never "egged" (popular here in SoCal), but I saw MANY paint jobs ruined while I was in business.

I hope this helps.

Tags
water, window