Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2005, 06:41 AM   #1

We have noticed a low pitched noise each time we turn on the water. It stops when the water is turned off, but happens whether it is the toilet, sink or washer. I checked the water pressure regulator and it is showing 40 lbs and is labeled preset to 40-50 lbs, so that appears to be normal. Any ideas as to what would cause this and a possible cure?
Larry, NW4W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2005, 06:41 AM   #2

We have noticed a low pitched noise each time we turn on the water. It stops when the water is turned off, but happens whether it is the toilet, sink or washer. I checked the water pressure regulator and it is showing 40 lbs and is labeled preset to 40-50 lbs, so that appears to be normal. Any ideas as to what would cause this and a possible cure?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:09 AM   #3

I believe this condition is caused by Floridians traveling too far north.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:22 AM   #4

Tom

Could be, I thought originally it might be hard water. It is rumored that this also happens if you travel west.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #5

Sounds like the coach is worn out. Time for a new one. Maybe it's all that northern water flowing thru them southern pipes.
Sorry Larry, I don't know what would cause that noise.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:34 AM   #6

Derek,

We have had it for over a year. I think we are getting behind the average Florida Boomer trade limit.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #7

What about the check valve (back flow preventer)?

rvr2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #8

Could it be the water pump itself? Mine makes rather a lot of noise when it is running.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:14 AM   #9

I don't think it is the water pump, as we are on city water supply and the pump is turned off. The backflow preventer could be the answer, but I will try to find it and determine if that is it.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Listen for the noise around the water heater area. There should be check valves there and at times they can cause the noise you discribe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:22 AM   #11

Larry

The clue is you hear he noise only when you use a water appliance. I am almost positive that what you're hearing is the water pump.
Suggestion - locate the water pump where you can see and hear it operate; have your sig other turn on a water faucet and see if the pump operates. If the pump operates, and it is switched off, you may have a short either in the switch or in the pump. Another test is to disconnect your water hose and run a faucet. If you get water, you are definitely running the water pump.
As far as the pressure regulator reading 40-50 lbs. - all that means is that the site hookup is supplying that pressure at the regulator. Good luck...

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:56 PM   #12

If the process suggested by rayw does not find it, you might look for a variation on the idea from rv2352 -- if it is not the checkvalve (some of which use springs to make the closure) in the rig itself: are you connected to a anti-siphon water faucet? Some of those create a low-pitch vibration/growl.

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote