Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: When do you turn your water system pump off?
When I am done using the water 16 42.11%
In the evening 4 10.53%
When I walk away from campground 9 23.68%
Never turn it off 9 23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #1

Water system question

When I am camping I use my water tank and I was wondering should I be turning off the pump switch or should I just keep it on until I am done camping should I turn it off when I leave the camp site I do not see any leaks buit I did not know what was proper way to go Vince

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you ever hook up to city water? If so, what do you do then? Personally, I leave the water on because I like the convenience. If I ever get a leak, I will clean up the mess and repair the leak.

JTBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Always on until I hook up to city water.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

We turn it off when we're though with the water. It gets to be a habit after a while.

I certainly don't want to hit the campground with a trailer full of "wet", an empty tank, and a burnt up pump because of a leak developed while moving.

We do occasionally leave it on in the unit to listen for cycling...helps find the small stuff before it becomes big stuff.
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #5

For us turning off the pump while traveling had not been as much about developing a leak as it had been about one of the faucets (we have lever you're handles) being knocked "on" from an errant projectile :-)
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I leave mine on and had a mishap on Sunday. I had removed some things from a storage bay and it allowed other things in there to shift while traveling. I made a stop at a gas station and when I got out of the coach I could hear water running out and hitting the ground. I opened the bay door to find a folding table had shifted and opened one of the low point drains. No harm as it was draining out on the ground but it had pumped the tank almost empty and had I not caught it it would have burned my pump out as well as the elective element for the water heater as I had it on and the gen running. Lesson learned.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Not to the question but misinformation on running dry... Check the mfg's site and you'll find that most pumps will run dry with no harm..

As to the question, ours is ON 24/7 when the MH is in use. Our "john" is electric and requires 50-60 psi to operate completely. We've found many parks with lower pressure so the pump maintains proper psi.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Not to the question but misinformation on running dry... Check the mfg's site and you'll find that most pumps will run dry with no harm..

As to the question, ours is ON 24/7 when the MH is in use. Our "john" is electric and requires 50-60 psi to operate completely. We've found many parks with lower pressure so the pump maintains proper psi.
You are absolutely correct. Most of the newer pumps will run dry for an extended amount of time, but if you happen to be in an older unit you just might have to replace a a pump or part. I also noticed parts kits available for the new ones too. I guess they are subject to wear & tear.

I also read several owner's manuals and they seem to generally recommend turning the pump off when traveling or away from the unit.

Just a few of many :

Monaco: 2014

WARNING:
Before leaving the motorhome for extended periods of time (i.e. overnight or longer) the city water source and water pump must be turned off. The manufacturer is not responsible for damage caused from neglect.

WARNING:
Do not continue water pump operation if the fresh water holding tank is empty. Damage to the water pump or electrical supply system may result.

Fleetwood 2014

Water Pump
The on-board fresh water system is pressurized by a self-priming, 12-volt DC pump. The pump operates automatically when the pump power switch is ON and a faucet is opened. When the faucets are closed, the pump shuts off. A fuse at the load center panel protects the pump circuit. It can run dry for extended periods without damage.

NOTE
Turn water pump off before traveling.

Winnebago 2014

Winnebago
Water Pump Switch
The Water Pump switch is located near the monitor panel (some models may have an additional switch in the water service center or within the bathroom area for your convenience). While the switch is “ON”, the pump will automatically supply water as it is needed.

We recommend that you turn the Water Pump switch off whenever you will be away from the vehicle or not using the water system. In time, a slow leak in a faucet could drain the water tank, fill the holding tank, and discharge the house batteries.

Along with turning the pump off when away or traveling, I also shut the park valve off just in case a water hose decides to turn loose while we're away.

FWIW - As picky as companies have become about warranties these days, I'm not taking a chance.
Hunt n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #9

So it sound like when people are at a state park then do you connect to there water instead of your water tank
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
When we are away from the coach for any length of time I turn off the pump, otherwise it is on while occupied. Same for the city water, if we leave, I turn off the water at the source.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #11

When away from the trailer for more than an hour or so we turn off the pump and turn off the tap if connected to city water.

Learned this lesson the hard way when sailing. Twice had a fresh water line become disconnected while under sail. Once it was a hot water line spilling 150F water all over the galley floor the other time it was under the sink in the head, draining in the bilge and innocently going overboard with the bilge pump.

Tags
water