Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Water, water, everywheres!!! HELP!

Been reading these forums non stop and have learned so many things. Now it's my turn to ask for some help...

Just bought a new to us 04 Southwind 37C triple slide gasser on a workhorse chassis.

When we bought the coach we asked them to winterize it because we would be bringing it back to Canada where it's pretty cold over the winter. Picked up the coach and saw the antifreeze in the sinks, shower and toilet. Could also see the antifreeze in the water lines.

Yesterday I went to de-winterize and sanitize the fresh water system using the techniques learned from this site.

First of all, I drained the tanks using the low drain valves and some water came out. (This immediately made me concerned). I fillled the tank with the bleach solution and ran the taps using the 12v system and it all worked great (kitchen, bathroom sink, toilet, shower). Went out to get supper, and came back and noticed a lot of water leaking from the front of the coach towards the back, (with all electrical off, and no water hooked up from city source). Checked inside the coach and no water inside leaking anywhere's. Safe to say leak is coming from tank, line, etc..

Left it overnight, and tank was still leaking. Lost 1/2 the water in the tank. I crawled under coach and water is not leaking from any visible location on the tank or line. I hooked up the city water line and turned it to bypass and I'm still getting some filling of the tank which is causing it to leak a little.

Anyone ever see or hear of anything like this before? I really need some pointers to help me get this fixed. This may or not be related, but when I ran the hot water lines, the water looked milky so I took some in a glass and it dissapeared and was clear with no debris after a minute or so.

**Update**

Opened up the kitchen slide and the issue seemed to have stopped somewhat..??.. I can now see it's leaking somewhere's on or behind the exterior passenger side skirting (rippled like corugated cardboard) connected on the coach not the slide and no water in the coach. Water now works with the city water bypassed and no water is going into the tank. When the slide is out, no water is going into tank, when the slide is in water goes into the tank. I still can't explain why it's leaking with no water pressure or 12v (40 gallons of water leaked overnight with nothing connected or on).

I've added some pictures to my gallery to show the leak. These pictures are under the kitchen along the fram rail and you can visibly see the water leaking. It continues to leak even after removing all pressure and 12v.

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'll leave responses to your question to our experts since we make a point of never being anywhere it gets cold enough to freeze!

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #3

Have you checked the fresh water tank drain valve ? It is found in the first basement compartment behind the right entry door.It is stiff to move and has to be firmly closed.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you got water, not pink stuff, when you opened the low point valve I can only say check the water heater, and continue looking.

Also document EVERYTHING.. if it is not an open valve or drain plug (water heater drain) you may well have a valid complaint against the folks who winterized. (Alas, that would require a lawyer to determine however, And that I'm not).

This is one reason why I winterize myself.. originally by the dry method, now by the "S" method, that S.Carolina.

On edit a thought occures to me.

The water pump inlet filter screen housing is the #1 "Forget" item on the winterize chart.. This will leak even if the pump is turned off if the fresh tank is full. Where is your water pump?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find your leak. Maybe something still had water in and froze from not being properly winterized.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
On edit a thought occures to me.

The water pump inlet filter screen housing is the #1 "Forget" item on the winterize chart.. This will leak even if the pump is turned off if the fresh tank is full. Where is your water pump?

+1. This happened to me. I winterized mine, but forgot and left water in the pump inlet. It froze and cracked and needed to be replaced. I had symptoms similar to the OP's.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
+1. This happened to me. I winterized mine, but forgot and left water in the pump inlet. It froze and cracked and needed to be replaced. I had symptoms similar to the OP's.

Would this cause water to flow down the frame as shown in the pictures?

When you say "replaced", what exactly needed to be replaced? The pump itself?

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffspread View Post
Would this cause water to flow down the frame as shown in the pictures?

When you say "replaced", what exactly needed to be replaced? The pump itself?

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I didn't see the pictures. Where the water exits the coach depends on where your water pump is. It could certainly run down the frame.

The input screen is a cheap and easily replacable part. It just screws onto the input side of the water pump and attaches to the hose that comes from the fresh water tank. Mine was a 5 minute replacement.

Similar to this $12.47 at CW:

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have no clue as to how to access your pictures but yes, that will cause water to go everywhere till the level drops below the pump.

Odds are you'd only have to replace the outer pump filter housing, or the entire pump filter housing (if it's 20 bucks it's a rip off, and easily replaced) not the way more expensive pump.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #10

my 2007 pace arrow has 5 drain lines......could be one is still open, check the two hidden next to the hot water heater.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think I finally figured how to upload the pictures. Here are the pictures i've been referring to. These are under the kitchen slide on the passenger side of my 04 Southwind 37C triple slide. *the pictures were taken from the back of the kitchen slide looking towards the front of the coach*

The water pump is located in the front basement bin between the door and slide.

Thread is getting a little long. Here's a condensed recap.

second last picture is best to describe the issue.

The water seems to be running from tank area(front of coach) along frame channel? to area under the kitchen slide. Back of trailer (toilet, sink, shower) does not seem to be affected. Coach is on a slight incline(Nose high) Drain valve of water tank is shut(very stiff but closed with a dripping that might fill a small saucepan over night. By looking in compartment by front door, can see the tank with drain plug, the pump on a shelf(which seems dry) and the handle to shut off or open tank drain.
I lost 40 gallons or so of water overnight.
If you look at second last picture, the water drips down the frame just up at the kitchen slide which is open and no water is flowing from the open slide area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1171 (2).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	21142   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1172 (2).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	21143  

Name:	100_1173 (2).jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	21144   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1174 (2).jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	21145  

Name:	slide pass.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	21146  
Old 05-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #12

does you fridge have an ice maker? maybe that line is leaking.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
He said it was leaking even with the pump off and no city water pressure, and as I recall it did not leak with just city water. That eliminates the ice maker line (Which I need to replace soon).

It does, however, narrow it down to the inlet side of the pump.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
He said it was leaking even with the pump off and no city water pressure, and as I recall it did not leak with just city water. That eliminates the ice maker line (Which I need to replace soon).

It does, however, narrow it down to the inlet side of the pump.

Would the inlet side of the pump cause me to lose 40-50 gallons of water in 8-10 hours?

Tags
water