Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
The electric function of my waterheater has stopped working. The switch does not light up, and the DW noted that while washing dishes, the water went cold and didn't heat back up. The WH had been on AC heat only. I checked the breakers, the fuse on the circut board, and the thermal fuse. All seem to be in good working order. When switched to propane the heater fired up and started heating.

Any ideas on where to look?

thanks, Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The electric function of my waterheater has stopped working. The switch does not light up, and the DW noted that while washing dishes, the water went cold and didn't heat back up. The WH had been on AC heat only. I checked the breakers, the fuse on the circut board, and the thermal fuse. All seem to be in good working order. When switched to propane the heater fired up and started heating.

Any ideas on where to look?

thanks, Sarge
Old 07-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #3

Sounds like the AC side thermostat. Besides you have checked everything else.
This is a common condition.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I am trying to track that down, but not sure where to look. The element is in the back of the WH. Is that where the thermostat would be as well?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #5

You have to take that little access plate on the bottor off, but you can look the element with an ohm meter to see if it's open (might want to pull shore power just in case). Mine went out early on. Maybe the swx lamp burned out at the same time?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:38 AM   #6

I had the same type of problem on a Atwood heater. On the back of my heater was a small switch. I could just barely get my hand back there to try tripping the switch and found the toggle on the switch would not move. I ended up removing the water heater and found the switch melted inside the housing. Replacing the switch fixed the problem. At that time I posted online what I had found and heard back from several others they had switches that had also melted.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The AC mode heat element and thermostat are on the back side of the heater. There is also a switch there and some models have a built-in circuit breaker that may have tripped. Look for a little red button to push in.

The heater element may have burned out.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone, that will give me a place to start. I just pulled into Interior SD, at the Badlands National Park. I'm sure finding a heating element here will be a challenge......

Maybe I'll get lucky and it's just a switch. I'll let you know what I find out.

Sarge
Old 07-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Sarge,
Any hardware store should carry elements the homes ones will work as well. Just make sure they are the screw in type and match the connections with your current one.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey thanks Lenny! I haven't tried to chase the heating element yet. It's hotter than heck here right now, and humid to boot. I just have to figure out how to get to the back of the WH. Can I do it without pulling it out?? I hope so. But thanks for the heads up about the element. It will cut down on the chasing around i'm sure.

Sarge
Old 07-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
No problem. You can sometimes get to the element depending on your access to the rear and how they mounted it. Remember to drain all the water out and turn off all power to the unit. Have allot of towels if you try to replace the elemnt without removing the WH. Sometimes it is easier just to remove the WH.

Oh, I almost forgot, make sure the unit is filled with water befor the element is turned on because it takes 10 seconds for it to burn out if it is not submerged.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
All good points that I probably knew already, but I sure don't mind being reminded. It could prevent making a inconveinient situation a whole lot worse!

Sarge
Old 07-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sarge:

Your heating element is probably fine. I had the same problem as you describe and it was the little switch on the back of the water heater. Since we have a switch inside the rig that provides AC power to the water heater, my RV mechanic just removed the switch at the water heater and bypassed it. That fixed the problem.

I could remove a panel right under the heater and reach inside and reset the switch. But after one heating cycle, it would trip again.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, good info, I hope I get as lucky. I will crawl under tomorrow and see if I can find a panel to take off. The inside switch lights up when the power is turned on. I did note that I tried to turn it on a few days before and it didn't light up. A few minutes later the wife tried it and it worked. Hopefully it will be a bad switch.