Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wax versus Polish

The owner's manuel on my coach states that the full body paint is a durable polyurethane paint with an acrylic urethane clear coat. To care for the finish you should polish it every other year with a good polishing compound, not a wax.

It states, twice, not to use wax.

Does anyone know why no wax. What problem does wax cause?
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I use Carnuba wax on mine. Polish was supposed to clean I thought. I want to see it bead. Been doing it for years.

Every OTHER year? They must think it never goes out.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #3

Yes... those manufacturer's recommendations sure seem strange to me. Polish cleans and shines. Wax shines and PROTECTS. Just read the instructions for automobiles.... the paint and clear coat on that RV are the same, so should be treated the same. A polish after washing as they recommend is good, but a good Canuba wax on my coach sure keeps it clean and shiny over the months.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Let's get to the science of it:

Carnuba wax is an old traditional wax; however, with new surfaces and advanced coatings, Carnuba may not be the best application for protection or shine. Carnuba is a natural bees wax and will quickly melt away in climates with high UV. 30 days is typical for the wax to melt away by 50% -80% in high UV areas. Also, there are many waxes and polishes that will easily outlast and outshine carnuba. I have proven this time and time again to many people.

What's the difference between Waxes and Polishes?

meguiars.com: FAQ - What's the difference between polish and wax? (Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle)

My favorite is: Liquid Glass

Amazon.com: Liquid Glass LG100 Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish - 16 oz.: Automotive

Then Quick Detailer:

Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer - 22 oz | Detailed Image

If you are really energetic, try doing the Clay-Bar system.

Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901

Performing a clay-bar on your vehicle will surprise anyone. You take what looks like a piece of modeling clay/putty, kneed it, press some out like your making a small biscut spread (about 4" round), spray on some quick-detailer (keep the surface damp to wet with the detailer) then gently move the clay over the surface. Once the clay is dirty, fold it, re-kneed it, spread it out and repeat. Then polish, then wax, then finish it off the next day with some more detailer.

Use a fine micro-fiber cloth for all applications.

Here is the best part.............................................. ......
All of this is at your local Wal*Mart or auto-parts store
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I've also used MEK to clean bad spots off of paint. It will destroy anything else.I bought a new Lincoln in 03' and clay bar was too slow. Wiped it down with MEK and good to go.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote