Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2017, 02:50 AM   #1

We are interested in RV-ing but need lots of help!

Hello everyone
I have been perusing these forums for years. Finally got the nerve to ask some questions..have had some difficulty finding the answers I'm looking for, oh by the way I hope this is the right spot for this post? Ok here goes: We are in our early 60's, I am a stay at home mother/wife and hubby will work probably 4 more years before retiring. We have never had an RV and this will be our first. My husband is very mechanically inclined (HVAC) he knows about cars and trucks but nothing about RV's, I am of no help to him, whatsoever!
Where in the world do we begin...?
I love the Newmar Bay Star Sport cause they are so attractive and the right size, but we haven't ruled out class c's (kinda scared to look at anything other than a Born Free or a Lazy Daze, in a class c though). Oh and the Born Free will have to be used cause we can't afford a new one!
However I am drawn to the class A? I have a spot to store it at our home but only have room for around a 29-30 footer? Hubby wants nothing to do with a DP so it has to be gas, so I have mentioned the rv's we are thinking about now here are some of my questions:
1. Any suggestions for other rv's we might want to look at that tend to be the most dependable?
2. New or used? Really can't go much over 100k for a new one.
3. What should we do to educate ourselves about before we even think of buying? We are scared to make a mistake.
4. Here in the Pacific Northwest are there any suggestions for dealerships?
5. What advise do any of you experienced people have for us super newbies?
6. We feel like the amount we don't know is so overwhelming, that there is the potential to make a really big mistake, but we are eager to learn...anything essential that we need to read?
7. Where in the world do we find someone to check out an RV for us?
8. What kinds of financing terms, I hear you can get a 20 year loan? Lending institution suggestions, cause our CU doesn't do RV loans?
Thanks everyone in advance for any help you can provide to us, it will be greatly appreciated! Thank you all for your contributions here also what a wealth of information!
A-summitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2017, 04:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-summitman View Post
Hello everyone
I have been perusing these forums for years. Finally got the nerve to ask some questions..have had some difficulty finding the answers I'm looking for, oh by the way I hope this is the right spot for this post? Ok here goes: We are in our early 60's, I am a stay at home mother/wife and hubby will work probably 4 more years before retiring. We have never had an RV and this will be our first. My husband is very mechanically inclined (HVAC) he knows about cars and trucks but nothing about RV's, I am of no help to him, whatsoever!
I love the Newmar Bay Star Sport cause they are so attractive and the right size, but we haven't ruled out class c's (kinda scared to look at anything other than a Born Free or a Lazy Daze, in a class c though). Oh and the Born Free will have to be used cause we can't afford a new one!
However I am drawn to the class A? I have a spot to store it at our home but only have room for around a 29-30 footer? Hubby wants nothing to do with a DP so it has to be gas, so I have mentioned the rv's we are thinking about now here are some of my questions:
1. Any suggestions for other rv's we might want to look at that tend to be the most dependable?
3. What should we do to educate ourselves about before we even think of buying? We are scared to make a mistake.
6. We feel like the amount we don't know is so overwhelming, that there is the potential to make a really big mistake, but we are eager to learn...anything essential that we need to read?
8. What kinds of financing terms, I hear you can get a 20 year loan? Lending institution suggestions, cause our CU doesn't do RV loans?
Thanks everyone in advance for any help you can provide to us, it will be greatly appreciated! Thank you all for your contributions here also what a wealth of information!
This is the right spot for a post like this.

I have no experience with Class C's but share your fondness of Class A's. I think for me, Class A's are just a more practical RV, roomier, better storage options, and more choices in the market (used and new)
You would really be pushing it to find a new Class A for under 100K buy the time you add TTL and maybe an extended warranty if you chose that option. Personally I would suggest looking for a 3 - 4 year old Class A. This IMO is the sweet spot for a used MH. Many people buy an RV use it some and then for whatever reason sell it after 2, 3 or 4 yrs. They don't have many miles on them, haven't been abused yet, and have a lot of amenities, upgrades & new technologies
Your doing some of that right now. You said you've been reading this forum for years. Great start. You can learn a lot buy reading the pro's & con's of what other folks have done and what they have run into. There is also a ton of education & how-to's on Youtube. I'm also very mechanically able, but sometimes when I need to tackle something and not sure how to best go about it, I'll go to YT and see if I can find some tips on what others have done and then improvise from there. IMO, the main things to look for to avoid a "mistake" are: the main foundation just like a regular house you would be looking to buy. The foundation of a MH is the chassis. Crawl under there and carefully look at everything. MH's that have been exposed to a lot of salt can really ruin the under carriage. Look at the wiring, drive train, any leaking oil, steering components, tires (outside & inside) and how old are they, see if there are any maintenance records and if so visually check the areas to see if they are in fact in good shape. Check the roof, what type is it and what's the condition. Are there any signs of leaks inside. This IMO is the big stuff. Now if these pass the smell test, then I can move to the inside and check other systems. But if these first few main things don't pass, there's no need to look any further.
Can't help you there
All these points may not apply to you but may be helpful to others:

A few things to consider when buying ANY motorhome (MH):
Buying any MH is NOT like buying a car. You should not just go out and find one that you like and it’s pretty to look at, the price is good and then make a decision. Buying a MH on emotion without careful thought could turn into buyers remorse. There is also a learning curve and testing of all the systems that are in a MH. It is considered—best practice—that no matter what type of MH you decide to purchase, Gas or Diesel, used or new, that once you do purchase one, give yourself time and a few short trips to become familiar with it, and fix any bugs or issues that may and probably will arise BEFORE you go on any extended trip.

1) The first thing to consider and probably the most important to most of us is, what can I afford
2) How are you going to use the MH? Are you going to use it sporadically throughout the year for short 1,2,3 or 4 weeks at a time or are you planning to travel a lot year round, traveling the US & maybe Canada
3) Are you planning to tow a vehicle
4) Insurance will vary a lot depending on the type of MH, how you use it, the size, its value, its age, the state you live it, and your driving record
5) A few states have MH size restrictions, and license requirements
6) It’s a best practice to store your MH inside when not in use so in most cases this requires renting a storage unit and—depending on your location and the length—will vary a lot on what you pay. Usually a 35’ or less storage unit for most people the cost is very reasonable. Over 35’ it goes up quite a bit. And don’t forget, you’ll need an extra 5’ - 10’ at least to give yourself the ability to store supplies and have the ability to work on and clean your coach. If you choose not to store your MH and leave it outside, your MH’s condition will pay a price
7) Maintenance is another consideration and this is not just confined to oil changes, air filters and lubing the chassis. MH’s are equipped with many onboard systems. It’s a house on wheels. They have 12volt and 110 electrical systems with a variety of different appliances and charging systems. Some have no slides some have many slides. There are different types of roofs. There are so many systems they can’t all be mentioned here, but some are only found on Diesels. Regardless with ether it’s Gas or Diesel, all these systems have to be maintained on a regular basis and you have to decide whether you can perform some, most or all of these systems yourself or pay someone to do it
8) Any MH owner should also have roadside service of some kind
9) Warranty. If you buy a new MH it will come with a factory warranty. But most dealers & shops today are so back logged with coaches that need service work—in many if not most cases—may take weeks to schedule your work. Therefore, your normal warranty expires fairly quickly so you’ll have to decide whether you want to pay for an extended warranty. Many times if you buy a new MH out of state, when you get home, your local dealer will not service it because you didn’t buy it from them. Or, they may work on it but you’ll usually be put on the bottom of their list. If you buy locally your local dealer is probably fairly close to your home base, but it would be to your advantage to buy a MH that also has factory service center nearby (say within 500 miles or so) that can not only take care of warranty issues, but also address any other more complicated issues that may arise
10) Tire costs for Diesels (for the most part) are much more than gas rigs simply because they are bigger
11) How much storage space do you need in the basement to carry all your stuff
12) If you buy a new MH you will take a big depreciation hit, especially in the first 3 years
13) If you buy a used MH, get it inspected by a professional and have the fluids tested by a lab. IMHO the sweet spot on a used MH is one that's 3 -5 yrs. old. The previous owner has already taken a big hit on the depreciation, a lot of MHs out there have hardly been used or abused yet and they have a lot of the new updates.

Yeah I hear you but it's not as bad as your imagination conjures up. When we first started looking for our MH we went to a lot of different dealers and private owners shopping around driving & looking at potential prospects. It didn't take long to realize there was a lot of junk out there and coaches that were NOT taken care of. BUT...as you continue looking you begin to develop a sense of what to look to for and the better MH's stand out. You have to get through the no's before you get to the yes's. You can't look or buy on emotion. You have to logically and methodically go through the process of finding the right one. There's always the potential for making a "mistake" but the more you read, watch and hunt I feel confident you'll find the right MH.
https://rvinspection.com
You can get 10, 20 or even 30 year loans now days. 4.9% was the going rate from large dealers late last year. Probably about the same now. Depends though on a lot of things as any loan does. Large dealers self finance and usually can give you the best market rate. Smaller dealers will go through 3rd party lenders just as you could shop around and find a loan on your own. Like BOA for example. The Newmar you like is a good manufacturer from everything I've read here. You won't be able to buy a new one with your budget but if you go to say...2012 thru 2014 you can get one below your budget, most of the bugs should of been worked out by then, you could put down say 10% - 20% and end up with a reasonable payment.

As a side note, and this is my opinion and what was important to us....we decided on a Class A gas for many reasons but one of them was because we wanted slides. But we didn't want a lot of slides. One for the Bedrm. and one for the living area was what we wanted and would be plenty for us and less things to go wrong. We also didn't want any full wall slides because from what we've read there can be a lot of problems with these large slides. Not all of course but....
Slides and their ability to withstand constant use without constant breakdowns was important to us. Slides are driven by different systems. We initially were interested in Thor MH's but they use Schwintek slide systems which many have problems and especially full wall slides. And it's mainly because of the lack of proper installation and QC at the plant. We decided not to buy a Thor product because of this reason. Our MH uses a Power Gear slide system that uses a rack a pinion assembly. It's a proven system for many, many years on many types of MH's and we choose a MH that has that system. Again, as you read and study, you'll see what things to stay away from and what things your MH should have. You'll make adjustments and compromises along the way but try to enjoy that journey and not walk in fear. Knowledge is power and once you find the MH that you think is the ONE, have it inspected thoroughly.

And lastly, if you keep your MH outside without cover, it WILL take it's toll and will require you take additional steps to curb the environmental damage.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 AM   #3

Test drive, test drive, test drive.

The idea is to travel down the highway, gazing at the sites, as you head towards your destination..

I wasn't in the position to buy new or even late model. I test drove Some older Class As and Class Cs.

You really need to get them to highway speed and see how they handle and feel.

I am a retired heavy equipment mechanic and have driven some big stuff on the roads, so it wasn't that I was a newbe and couldn't handle them.

I found the Class C easier and more comfortable to drive, so that's what I bought. 25,000 miles later and no regrets.

Test drive !!
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:37 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
As far as inspection contact NRVIA

https://nrvia.org/

https://nrvia.org/

It may run $300 or so but worth it.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:02 AM   #5

Quote:
1. We have done loads of research this last year and a half. Loads of reviews/posts, and we've been inside countless RV's.
Disclaimer: The following statement could lead to negative reaction from those with emotional ties to their brand.
From what my wife and I have seen, and our overall impression of RV's in this price point (Bay Star Sport), no other brand compares when it comes to the visible build quality.
2. It is possible to get a new Sport under $100k, however I would not suggest this for you. Just my opinion, btw. Being that this is a new endeavor for you, dip your toes in and see how it feels. You may find, six months later, that this doesn't work for you. So, if you buy new, you stand to lose more money than if you test the waters in a good used rig.
3, 5, and 6. The internet is a wonderful thing, and my son taught me the value of YouTube. Wanna know how to replace a water heater? There are a ton of video tutorials. Wanna know how to hook up once you get to the campground? Again, more tutorials on YouTube. On top of that, there is an overabundance of people Vlogging their daily lives while they fulltime it.
8. Essex will finance an RV 2009 or newer, 20 years.
jrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-summitman View Post
Hello everyone

I would go for a used one a few years old. Hopefully the previous owner will have all the bugs out, and you will get a LOT more for your money!

I think one of the biggest mistakes folks make is buying one with a floor plan that they end up hating! Do a lot of searching in that area.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #7

Floor plan. Floor plan. Floor plan.
Go see, touch, smell, feel every make and model in the floor plan you like.
Sit on the potty. Can you do what you need to do on the potty?
Climb in the shower and shut the door. Can you do what you need to do?
Lay on the bed. Comfortable? Plenty of walk around space? Will you be able to comfortably make the bed?
Lay on the couch. Put your feet up. Comfortable.
Stand at the kitchen counter. Think about how you are are going to be cooking, cleaning and using the space. Got room to do that? Is it Functional?
Look at cabinet space. Where's the cups going? Where's the plates going? Where are you storing pots and pans? Silverware? Storage containers?
Is there space to store food?

Everyone is going to have a different idea of what's right for them. The floor plan and coach I like may be completely different from what you like and what works for you. I'd really encourage you to look at a wide variety, and I mean GO SEE THEM, and then decide what YOU like. Once you narrow down to a floor plan, look at every manufacturer that offers that floor plan. Really go in them with the eyes of how you'd use it on a day to day basis.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

1. I would continue looking at Newmar, but also Tiffin. Tiffin makes Class As in the size range you want. We ended up going with Tiffin because the floor plan in the Allegro gasser worked a lot better for me than the Newmar floor plan, but both manufacturers are pretty well known for better build quality. Some people might also advise you to look at Winnebago, but I personally didn't think the interior finishes in the Winnebago came even close to Tiffin or Newmar. We ended up with the 32SA which is 34' mostly because it came with the 24k chassis standard. Tiffin also has a longer wheel base than Newmar, if that is something that is important to you.

2. You can definitely get a fairly late model used gas Tiffin or Newmar for under 100k.

3. I would walk through as many rvs as you possibly can. Some people might advise renting, but I think renting is a waste of money if you are serious about buying. I'd keep the rental money, and put it towards my eventual purchase. (When we first started, we bought an older but extremely well kept used C, got our feet wet for a few years, and sold it for practically what we paid for it. It allowed us to figure out what was important to us without really losing a lot of cash.) Ask your friends what they like/don't like if they have rvs, but mostly look through every single rv you can find. Go to a big rv show if there is one you can attend.

4. Sorry no clue, but I'd advise if you can drive, ask for bids from multiple dealers in the west.

5/6. Keep reading as much as possible, but know that I've always found people in campgrounds/rv resorts to be super helpful when it's needed. When you do buy, make checklists and drag the manual around when you set up/tear down.

7. jaywolf answered it.

8. IDK about financing.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

You guys are the best...these replies are exactly what we needed! Husband hates running into salespeople (sorry if any of you are one) cause I used to be! I told him we can't be the only ones out "just looking"! Portland OR has a show coming up so I am excited cause we will be attending!
Thanks again everybody, don't know what we'd do without all of you nice people guiding us!
A-summitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
HGC

RVing but need lots of help

Just a thought; we have a 2014 Tiffin 36LA we bought new. Got about 28% off of MSRP. Look at Sherman or DavisRV.
Another terrific RV is the Fleetwood Southwind and Bounder. Two of our friends have them and they are solid units. You should be able to get 30% off of MSRP should you look at new units. We have been looking at Fleetwood Discoveries and the used units are not much less than a discounted new unit. Just our experience. And I think the financing percentage points would be less for new units. Good luck.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #11

Rent a few RVs for weekend trips to begin to get a feel for them. Test drive as many as you can.

If you plan to drive to the nearest campground and plant the thing, then do not compromise on the floorpan. If you plan to travel, do not compromise on the way the rig drives and its serviceablilty.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's good to ask questions there is many of us who learned lessons the hard way by charging forward.

(1) The first thing that is important is comfort (floor plan, driving, etc.) then what type of traveling are you going to use it for (weekends, two weeks, several months or full time). Dependability is a judgement - you can two people in the same unit and both have a different opinion. What to look for is construction and materials used.
(2) New or used - I went new but in retrospect if I went used I could have gotten more for the money. Nonetheless - the big secret is the amount of the MSRP you can get. There have been posts of upward of 30% off so keep that in mind (100K=130K). Walking in the door of a large dealer you will be offered 20-22% without negotiating. So if you want new you may be able to afford it.
(3)Education - I subscribed to Motorhome Magazine and Trailer Life for two years learning about the different units, uses and problems in the fix it columns. I also joined Good Sam when they had a magazine.
(4) No clue but the bigger dealer will be able to give the better deals. Also if you are going new - you may get a better deal ordering one as the dealer lot costs are eliminated. Going with used know everything about the used price before you start negotiations, prices are online and look at similar units on sale.
(5)Advice - relax it will be worth it in the end.
(6) The biggest mistake is finding that the unit you have purchased is not big enough or you really don't like it and you have to sell it or trade it in on something else and take the down payment loss. Been there done that.
(7) there are repair services that are certified repair people that also do inspections.
(8) I got a 20 year loan - the rate is based on credit score but many of them are offered at around 4%. What ever you feel comfortable with. There are plenty of ads in Motorhome magazine or online.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #13

I think a lot of consideration should be given to the intended use of the RV, as has been already mentioned. Ours is shorter (26') because we travel a lot of logging roads in part of its use. A large one wouldn't work, although 29-30' probably would. We also go coast to coast and back just about every year.

I would suggest looking on Craigslist, eBay, the for sale part of this forum, along with RV shows etc. That will give you a good feel for the rate of depreciation as well as the average cost of a particular RV. You can also look at hundreds of floor plans etc. without even going outside. That is what I do and we have bought many cars, trucks, saxophones, etc., and a few RVs that way. If one is close enough you will probably be able to make arrangements to look at and drive it.

"Close enough" will vary for different people. We live along I-5 in Phoenix, OR and drove to Southern CA to get our current MH. We drove down, hooked the little car behind the MH, and drove it back. I was seriously thinking of going to Dallas, TX for one a few months ago, but after doing a lot of research on it with the computer we decided against it. The downside to that if it has been misrepresented to you by the seller it may be a wasted trip. You could always have an independent inspector at the RV location look at it.

I think your husband will be able to do whatever maintenance he chooses to. I, along with a lot of others here, do everything that doesn't require very expensive tools such as alignment. They're just little houses built on a truck chassis of one kind or another.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #14

One thing that no one has brought up is brochures. That is if going and looking at different models, once done they are going to all run together. Pick up brochures so once home you can look & pick-out the ones that stood out. As most manufactures are going to have very similar floorplans remembering which was which will be hard. Even if you don't by new ( which I wouldn't recommend) you will be able to find the floorplan in a older coach.
If your budget is $100k I would set your sites on $90k rigs. That will allow for the extra ..................... that you want or didn't take into account.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote