Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2006, 06:49 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am camping in a very windy campground now. We have a electric awning. we have the switch engage for the wind sensor but the awning will not retract on its own. We retracted it several time manually because the awning was bouncing up afraid it will get torn-off the coach. I check the wind sensor to see if it was clear of debris and looked ok. Is this normal for the awning to bounce like this before it retracts. Thank in advance George & Joni
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2006, 06:49 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am camping in a very windy campground now. We have a electric awning. we have the switch engage for the wind sensor but the awning will not retract on its own. We retracted it several time manually because the awning was bouncing up afraid it will get torn-off the coach. I check the wind sensor to see if it was clear of debris and looked ok. Is this normal for the awning to bounce like this before it retracts. Thank in advance George & Joni
Old 07-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #3

Has your awning ever worked?
The switches inside the control box may be set wrong.
Here are the switch settings for given wind speeds:
(1 and 5 are down all of the time. No more than two switches should be up at one time.)
24 mph - 3 up 4 down
21 mph - 2 up 4 down
18 mph - all down
15 mph - 2 up 4 up
12 mph - 3 up 4 up

Then again, you may have a defective control box.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes my awning used to work . If I remenber right it would have went up by now in this wind. Are you saying I can change the settings in the control box ?? Thanks for your repley George
Old 07-03-2006, 02:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I believe only the newest Weather Pro model awnings (just recently released) have the switches to adjust the settings for different wind speeds. If yours came with your 2003 motorhome then you have the same as mine, and it doesn't have the switches.

Mine also seemed to not work. I had the awning for almost a year before I witnessed it retracting by itself. According to a local rv service facility I was told the awning has to see a steady 24 mph wind for a certain time before it will retract. Short gusts even over that speed won't cause it to retract.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:27 AM   #6

My awning came on a 2006 model coach. There are dip switches inside the control box.

Joe & Loretta
2006 Phaeton 40QDH
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited toad
Old 07-07-2006, 04:45 AM   #7

I've had to replace my controller twice. It is set for 24 mph and goes up about 10/12 mph which is about all I can stand. I lost two awnings a few years ago and am glad to see this finally work.

Ron

2004 Mt Aire 4301
ronharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thing we've noticed is that the direction the wind is coming from seems to make a difference. We've been out on fairly windy days and the awning stayed out, I was there keeping an eye on it so not worried about damage, and other times didn't even feel the wind and the awning rolled up! I'm satisfied that it works the way intended but still roll it up when out and about and not at the motorhome, it's so easy to roll up with the electric awning by just pushing a button that I can see no reason to leave it out when we're not there. I also keep the remote handy when in bed so I can roll it up if I decide a storm is coming instead of waiting for the sensor to do it for me. I guess I'm paranoid that way because I have seen some storms come in so fast and suddenly that I think the awning would have been damaged before the sensor had time to do it's job! The only complaint I have about the awning is I can't adjust it downward as the sun sets to keep in shade and it's also a little bit harder to clean than the manual awnings for the same reason.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #9

I have a 2004 coach with a Weather Pro It didnt work when I furst purchased the rig. I complained to the dealer and thay adjusted it. It now retracks with the slightest breese.
ELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #10

George
Please don't be insulted but - is the retract switch on? It's posible that if you had the rig in for service some well meaning mech turned off the auto setting. My switch is at the rear of the control box and I have to use a mirror to check if it is switched "on."

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:10 AM   #11

I have a 2005 Sea Breeze LX. My weather pro has never worked properly. With the wind switch turned on, it retracts by just walking around in the motor home. Adjusted the first time, controller and wind switch replaced second time and now the controller and switch were just replaced a third time. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but would sure be nice to see work right at least one time.
Bud10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Our Weather Pro has never worked properly for more than a week at a time. Wondeful WHEN it works. Will be going in for service again Aug 3. Good Luck
Old 07-23-2006, 11:27 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I also have the Weather Pro (2005). It was also a mystery to me why it worked the way it did (like the previous posts). I called Newmar and they got A&E on the line. Betsy, at A&E told me the following:
1. If you want to test if the auto retract is working, take an air hose hooked to a compressor and blow the air accross the sensor (on the roof). After a few seconds the awning should retract.
2. If you want to adjust the sensitivity of how much wind it takes to retract the awning and have the dip switches inside the control box, change the settings. My information is a bit different that JoeT's post.
2a. Switches 1 and 5 are always off (toward the number is off, away is on).
2b. Switch 2 = 3 MPH
2c. Switch 3 = 6 MPH
2d. Switch 4 off = increases MPH (more wind is needed to retract awning)
2e. Switch 4 on = less MPH (less wind is needed to retract awning)

Only one switch 2 or 3 should be on at the same time. Never both on or off at the same time.

This means the most sensitive setting is:
switch 1, 3 and 5 off
switch 2 and 4 on

A&E would not quote wind speeds, just more or less sensitive. They also said a steady wind is needed to activate the sensor. Gusts of wind do not activate it.

Lastly, and for me most important (living in South, Florida), the awning will auto retract when the sensor (remember on the roof) gets to 120 degrees F! This last point solved my mystery awning retractions. A&E said this is how the thermistor works and that's that! On a side note, I asked her to pass onto management that my view is this is a defect and will prevent me from purchasing an A&E awning in the future.

How I fixed the 120 degree auto retraction problem was to make a "sandwitch" and velcro/tape it to the top of the sensor, being carefull not to cover the wind sensing openings. The sandwitch has cardboard in the center with aluminum foil covering the cardboard and clear heavy duty packing tape holding it all together. Since installing this, there have been no 120 degree auto retractions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote