Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Read farther into the post. Switch 2 & 3 should never be both on or off at the same time. Switch 2 or 3 should be on, but not both.

There is no definition of more or less.

The auto retract will not work with a gust of wind. The sensor is for a steady wind.

To see if the auto retract feature is working, take an air compressor hose and blow air across the sensor opening. Within 15 seconds (more or less )the awning should retract.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #16

Mine seems to work fine depending on the wind direction and the position the rig is parked in.
My Tracvision Dome is directly (perhaps 18 inches) behind the sensor. It seems as though the awning retracts fine when the wind is come from either side or the front but when blowing from back to front across the roof I believe the dome is shielding the sensor. It does dump in a rain storm although if the wind seems excessive or we know ther eis rain in the forecast we just roll it in. I'm really good at pushing the button or using the remote.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Gary, thanks for posting the numbers on the dip switches. I didn't have my diagram in front of me when I replied to RJRobb. I usually leave the diagram in the coach so if I ever want to change them it is handy.
Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
A question here, Are we talking about a vinyl awning or the acrylic awning. I'm having one installed on my Motor home, with the acrylic and didn't think the acrylic awning would pool water??
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #19

I'll call A&E this week and see if there is someone smart enough to talk to about this. The company seems to be in turmoil right now. Even my local A&E dealer is having service issues with them.

It makes no sense when there are dip swx's that select 3 or 6 MPH, when the awning is supposed to roll up around 15MPH. If this is a digital control system, "More or Less" must have a better value than that. It's a long way to 15.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:59 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Jeff,
If you get a chance to look at the wind sensor that is on the roof, you'll find it is not the most advanced sensor money can buy. I can see how there could be a lot of tolerence in when the awning retracts, regardless of the settings. I look at the setting choices to be more of a general direction the owner wants to take with regard to auto retraction. Kind of like any device with a high, medium and low setting. Based on how I RV and my personal preferences, I want auto retraction to activate quickly. My awning is set at the most most sensitive setting. Some may not want this so they would choose a setting that requires a higher wind speed before the auto retract activates.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:28 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
If I understand it correctly the Weather Pro wind sensor is based on temperature drop caused by a steady air flow past the sensor opening. I doubt that this will provide any protection against gusts of wind associated with storms. The wind will come up very fast and the awning takes some time to retract. I would not depend on the sensor if you know a storm is in the area or you plan to be away from the coach.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:40 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
So #2 & 3 'ON' doesn't equal 9MPH? How do they make the 15MPH mentioned?
I got this from long ago posts on this subject.

If all switches are off, the unit is set to react to an 18 mph wind.

#2 ON will add 3 mph to the 18 mph setting.
#3 ON will add 6 mph to the 18 mph setting.
2 & 4 ON will lower the setting 3 mph from 18 mph.
3 & 4 ON will lower the setting 6 mph from 18 mph.
Be sure the switches are completely FULL ON or FULL OFF (full up or full down), not in the middle.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:50 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I remember a post a while back that also referred to this subject. Supposedly A&E changed the awning so they were "wind speed" adjustable. The earlier Weather Pro's (although they did have the dip switch) were not adjustable, but the later ones were changed and made to be adjustable.

I think it was about a year or maybe two years ago.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #24

Ah!! So starting from a 18MPH base Gary's #'s make sense. I just pulled the lid of of mine and and they're all off. Obviously I have a problem when id rolls up at 2.5MPH.

Gary: You're right.. I looked the sensor, and it appears to be something akin to vacuum across the hole vs. ambient pressure. Someone mentioned A&E sending out some sort of reflective patch for the lid to keep falsing down. Maybe I'll spray it ultra white.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-27-2007, 03:41 AM   #25
paz

Below is the manual for the wind sensor for my A&E Weather Pro awning. I was having a problem with my awning rolling up in the slightest breeze so I called A&E and gave them the serial number of my awning and this is what they sent.

I don't know if this manual applies to all models of just specific ones, but you can see the factory setting is all switches off for 18 mph. The switch positions on the drawings coincide with the numbers Gary Russo posted above, but it is nice to see it visually.

PS: My problem turned out to be a bad wire connecting the sensor to the control box.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:24 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Paz,
Thanks for the post. For me, this introduces some complexity I did not know about. I need to determine if I have the retrofit kit, updated components or the original style controls. The control box and roof sensor have been changed so many times, I do not know what level of components I have. The original A&E dip switch settings I posted earlier may not be correct for newer controls.

Thank you for the post.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2007 Pace Arrow with the Weather Prow Power Awning. We can set the wind speed with the inside unit. I have a slide on the curb side under the awning also. I would like to install one of those sun screens which slide into the tube of the awning. Here's my idea, do not slide the sun screen into the tube but attach it to the outside of the tube using velcro strips. Secure the bottom of the sun screen to the ground as usual. When the awning retracts because of the wind setting the awning will seperate from the sun screen at the velcro. The sun screen will then fall to the ground and the awning will roll up. Of course you will have to attach the sun screen again. Any ideas???
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #28

(now come the questions)
Paz: This is part of the mod I heard about. Is this a silver reflector, white, or ?
Is this doc a .pdf or something e-mailable? I have a 2GB RAM that I keep every related manual I come across.
How did you decide you had a bad connection, and where was it? I assume this is an analog voltage coming down from the roof and wouldn't have a clue what I should be looking at vs. actual.

Jeff - WA6EQU