Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was caught in a bad rain storm with the awning out and it didnt Kneel,does I did have the awning out tight,should it be a little relaxed to workl.
Thyanks Sal Avitabile
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm not too sure it would make much difference.

I haven't had my awning extended when it was raining, so I don't know how mine would react.

However, according to the Weather Pro info, our awnings are not to be used for rain protection.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
paz

We have used our Weather Pro numerous times in the rain (but not when significant wind is expected) and it has always released water as designed. The rear support arm has a spring which allows the rear corner of the awning to dip if the awning fills with water. Make sure the spring works and isn't gunked up with dirt or leaves. Also, when I level our motor home, I always like to have the back just a little lower than the front. That helps make sure any water buildup on the awning will drain toward the rear and dump off when the awning dips

Another trick to allow water to drain better is to extend the awning about 1/4 turn shy of fully extended. If you extend the awning all the way, the fabric meets the roller tube part way down the inside edge creating a little dam. If you keep it 1/4 turn shy of fully extended, the fabric sits at the top edge of the roller tube and eliminates the dam.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #4

Sal

I have had my Weather Pro out during several rainstorms and it takes considerable water to force the rear arm to give way and drain the water from the awning. Next time you wash the roof you might open the awning and try it out. I wouldn't leave it out unattended while camping though just incase it is malfunctioning.

2005 Discovery
Dos Amigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
All you have to do to test the awning is reach up and pull down on it.

The corner will drop.

As long as the one side drops when you pull on it, theres no problem.

Its not dropping in the rain because the water is nicely draining on its own.

good luck
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #6

Just a word of caution, A&E does not warranty the awning against rain or wind damage.

I had my awning tube break because rain water pooled in the middle and the arm didn't kneel to let the water drain.
One of the contributing factors is on motorhomes the awning extends almost straight out. This is necessary when a tall slideout is under the awning. I'm going to look at ways to keep the arm in the kneeling position or replace the arms with Carefree Eclipse which provides adjustable pitch.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Sal,
You have asked an excellent question. My orignial WeatherPro had arms that did not fully extend. At the center pivot point the arms remained about 1" from completely extending (the space between the upper and lower arm). The awning dumped water each and every time it rained. A new awning was installed and the arms now extend fully. This awning does not dump water.

You may have the right idea. When extending the awning, extend it only far enough for the arms to come within about 1" of being fully extended. I have not tested this, but it is on my list of things to do.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #8

IMO:
This is a lousy design both mechanically and electrically. They're fragile, they don't dump, they don't retract, and when they do it's at 2MPH, not 15+. And the customer support is lousy to non-existent. Knowing what I now know I would NEVER have another.

But that's just me... My 1985 manual is still going on the original parts sans the fabric. How ironic.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:18 AM   #9

My Pro doc indicates the awning is suppose to roll up at 18-22 mph winds. I think that's to high for a 20ft awning! Don't know yet if it's adjustable in the black box. I've never had mine roll up automatically.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:02 AM   #10

I don't have a patio slide so my Weather Pro awning drops down to 6.5' off the ground. Even in heavy rain it has never pooled, the water just runs off.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:35 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
RJRobb, yes they are adjustable inside the little black box. There are 4 or 5 little thumb slides that placed in the up or down position to set at what wind speed the awning will roll up. They are located behind a bunch of wires. I had to get the local dealer to call Dometic to get the diagram for what positons the thumb slides had to be in for various wind speeds. From looking at the diagram mine from the factory was set for a wind of 25 mph. Out here in good old West Texas that is just about the average wind speed on a daily basis. I reset mine for 8 mph and it works good, although it still doesn't shed the rain, but if we know rain is in the forecast we close it anyway.
If you do manage to get the diagram do not use anything made of metal to do the adjusting with. Use a toothpick. Metal and electricity are not a good combination.
Jerry
Old 08-25-2007, 06:20 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
RJRobb,
The switches mentioned by Jerry are called dip switches. My awning control has a block of 5 dip switches. From left to right and up = on and down = off the code is:
1) = always down (off)
2) = 3 MPH
3) = 6 MPH
4) down/off = less sensitive (more mph needed to retract)
up/on = more sensitive (less mph needed to retract)
5) always down (off)

IMPORTANT, switches 2 and 3 should never be both on or off at the same time. One and only one switch should be in the on position.

An example of the most sensitive switch settings would be:
1 = off
2 = on
3 = off
4 = on
5 = off
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #13

Thanks Jerry and Gary for the info.
Mine should be the same vintage as yours. I'll take a look and see what it's set at.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #14

Gary:
So #2 & 3 'ON' doesn't equal 9MPH? How do they make the 15MPH mentioned? And what does "More or Less" mean? Is there a number attached to these?

In my case I have had it hang out in gusts that were bending the small support arms and not roll in. But yet at a measured 2.5MPH, it rolls up.

You would think that those answering the service phone were in India. That's about the quality of the help.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote