Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #1

Where do you go to get a motorhome weighed? Do I get a total weight, a front + back, a left/right side, or all four sides? Empty or with what I put in when I go camping for a weekend/week? How do I know how to adjust the tire pressure with respect to weights?
thanks

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30'
auntsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #2

Where do you go to get a motorhome weighed? Do I get a total weight, a front + back, a left/right side, or all four sides? Empty or with what I put in when I go camping for a weekend/week? How do I know how to adjust the tire pressure with respect to weights?
thanks

Old 06-12-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by auntsis:
thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the easiest places to get a coach weighed is a local truck stop,or truck repair facility. If there happens to be a trucking company or moving company in your area,these facilities also have scales and may weigh your coach for a small fee. In my area,there is a bulk oil delivery company that weighs it's vehicles and they permit folks to get their coaches weighed there. Check your telephone directory yello pages...

While "front and back" weights would be sufficient,the best way to know what your coach is doing on those tires is to weigh all four corners and adjust the air pressure accordingly.
REMEMBER....you ALWAYS have both tires on the same axle at the same pressure and ALWAYS use the higher weight for your pressure calculation.

Load the coach as if you were going camping,as best as possible....You may estimate certain things,as the weight of occupants and clothes and so forth...

HERE is the link to the 2005 spec sheet for your coach, the 2004 link won't come up...
You should have a page in your coach that details the weights of your coach....It's inside a cabinet on the back of a door,or possibly on the wall somewhere...use this as a guide as well.

ALSO.....are you on a Ford or Workhorse Chassis??
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #4

Rebelsbeach - I appreciate your response, especially in terms that make sense to me.

I have a Ford chassis- does this make any difference that I need to know of.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
No you will weight the same with full fuel, LP gas, and what ever water you will carry for personal use doesn't have to be full. Also the cloths and food you carry. There are also CAT scales at truck stops that can weight both front axel and rear seperately.
When you get your weights, check with your tire MFG's charts for proper tire size and the tire pressure for your tires.
Most CAT scales charge about $8 and they give you a print out to keep and refer to. Your yellow pages may locate CAT scales locations.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FWIW, as required by Workhorse for shock absorber warranted upgrade, I need front-rear weights. Called CHP to see if could get it done on state scales. NO ! Don't think woman liked my comment that the $7100 sales tax was just money down toilet.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depending on where you live, you could check out agricultural scales as well. On the outlying areas of Portland, OR we have a lot farms and they use roadside scales that are powered 24/7. You can't get a report, but with a scrap of paper and moving the RV arount I can get, front/rear axle, individual wheel, and dinghy weights.

If you need proof for Workhorse, you are probably best going to a pay scale. They can provide you with the documentation.

For the people in Oregon heres a map of where to weigh. The one I use in North Plains(34-02) is free (no fee), others may be more congested. The best choices will be away from I5 and I84. Oregon Weigh Stations
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
In Florida, DOT will weigh a coach (4 wheel positions with portable scales), free of charge. Consider going to the Virginia State web site and look up Virginia DOT or motor carrier compliance (or something like that). It took me a couiple of months to get the schedules worked out as private coaches are not at the top of their list. However, everyone I delt with was friendly and willing to help. It turns out I live between their office and one of their weigh stations. They came to my house, on their way to work. The coach was full of fuel, propane, water and all the stuff we normally take.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote