Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

Weighing your MH

I don't know anything about weighing a MH. What and how do you do it? Where? Does it cost to have it weighed? I have heard people talk about weighing theirs at truck weigh stations, but have no idea how one goes about doing that. Also, what are you looking for when you get yours weighed? Thx.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

Very easy. Go to this site CAT Scale and check out the How to Weigh. Weights can be utilized for correct tire inflation, proper weight distribution, checking actual vs maximum requirements for coach, etc. Cost $10.00

Newbie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

Corner Weights

Folks,

There are several recommendations on measuring the weights on individual wheels. How is this done?

Thanks, JohnnyB
Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If weighting at a "CAT" scale, most of them are set up so that you'll be able to set you MH on the scale with the right tires "OFF" the scale on the side apron and the front axle on 1 plate and the rear axle on another. Weigh this way 1st, then do a "Re-Weigh" with the whole coach on the scale with front and rear axles on different plates. By doing this you will be able to get a "4corner" weigh and know what the exact weight is on EACH corner of the MH.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #5

Agree with the above completely, have used that process numerous times. I'd just like to add that most times, the help inside has no experience with what you are trying to do at all if you're going for the "4 corner" weights. You could ask for help, but I wouldn't expct much more than a blank stare. Though they'd like to help, they don't have the experience to draw on. I would pull onto the scales, then go inside (assuming the scales aren't busy, they generally are not.) and tell them you'd like a re-weigh. Makes no difference if you weigh one side first or last. When done you'll get 2 weight slips you can use to determine axle, over-all, and individual corner weights.

Big thing is to just relax and take your time. Assuming nobody is waiting, there are no "scale police" to make sure you are doing everything right and in a timely manner. We all had to do it the first time. In my case, I had to do it a couple of times! The math didn't add up correctly the first time around, and of course I was way down the road before figuring that out. Thankfully it's pretty reasonably priced! Best of luck!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #6

If you live anywhere near a company that sells gravel or limestone, they weigh their trucks going in and out since they sell by the ton.
I have weighed a couple of motorhomes at one of these facilities and have never been charged.
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
Folks,

There are several recommendations on measuring the weights on individual wheels. How is this done?

Thanks, JohnnyB
As has been explained, you can sometimes maneuver your rig to get some wheels off the scale then add and subtract weights to calculate individual corner weights.

Other than that, RV rallies frequently have someone who has portable scales and will weigh individual corners for a fee (usually around $50-$60) and even include your tow or towed vehicle.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #8

I just weighed my beast for the first time a couple months ago. After I filled up the beast, I drove around and went to the Cat scales. Just hit the button on the panel, wait for the attendant over the comm. to answer and pull off. Go in and pay your $10.00 and they give you your reading. Very easy. Best of luck.

Happy RV'ing
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #9

When i weight my vehicle with total loads. I should compare the weights to the GCWR. Is this correct?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie58 View Post
Very easy. Go to this site CAT Scale and check out the How to Weigh. Weights can be utilized for correct tire inflation, proper weight distribution, checking actual vs maximum requirements for coach, etc. Cost $10.00
Newbie58
Correct
However, "Weights SHOULD be used utilized for...........", (not can).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My Cat scales only give axle weights and have no way (or room) to give corner weights. Got it done at a rally for $60.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #12

will use the CAT Scale tomorrow instead of going with the weight I received from a dump waste station.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
If weighting at a "CAT" scale, most of them are set up so that you'll be able to set you MH on the scale with the right tires "OFF" the scale on the side apron and the front axle on 1 plate and the rear axle on another. Weigh this way 1st, then do a "Re-Weigh" with the whole coach on the scale with front and rear axles on different plates. By doing this you will be able to get a "4corner" weigh and know what the exact weight is on EACH corner of the MH.

Dlindy, what do mean by putting your front and rear axles on different plates after weighing left and rear axle ends?

If I'm off to the side with my left front axle on the front plate, and my left rear axle on the rear plate, I get my weights.
Now I pull back and go forward so that my entire front axle is on the same plate that my left front axle end was on. Same for rear...
RIGHT?
Old 06-16-2014, 07:37 PM   #14

Yup! Just request a slip after positioning each way. The second slip is considered a "re-weigh" and should only cost a couple of bucks.